Bonine

buckeyefan10

I was wondering what time of day most people take bonine? My doctor didn't recomment the patch. He said it would make me sleepy and cause dry month. So do you take the bonine in the morning or before bed? How long does it last or stay in your system? I didn't get sick on my 4 day cruise, just felt a little funny (light headed etc.). But we had smooth sailing. I'm just want to be ready in case we experence some rough seas. Thanks:)

I think I want to try Bonine this time. I have taken Dramamine as precaution it makes me feel weird and tired. I has used the patch too, that made my pupils really dilated.

I usually start taking the Dramamine the day before. I guess I will do the same with the Bonine. I have read others like the Bonine better then the Dramamine.

Hopefully, the Bonine will work!:)

I get seasick very easily. So go figure, i love cruising and needed a solution. First cruise took Dramamine and it messed me up since i wanted to drink. About the middle of the third day my body got used to the sea and I stopped taking the meds completely.

Since then i have taken Bonine at the recommendation of several people on this site. My wife is good friends with an herbalist (or something like that), who told me that ginger is a great natural remedy for seasickness. She said to take it in any form that has real ginger. I bought Ginger pills from GNC and Ginger candy from Trader Joes (it comes in a tin like the "curiously Strong" mints). i also ate the pickled ginger occasionally from the sushi bar. by day two I don't even need Bonine anymore.

Will always have the bonine and ginger with me in case of the seas start to liven up.

The best part about bonine is that for most people, you can drink and not be adversely affected (unlike Dramamine, patches, bracelets, etc.)

I hardly ever take meds, so they affect me pretty strongly. I just take ginger capsules (super cheap by the way). I start taking them a couple days in advance. Also, they help with digestion...a nice extra for all that cruise food. ;)

Good timing Martini Mom! You slid your post in while i was typing.

I forgot about the digestion benefits of ginger pills. My wife makes me take Papaya enzymes when we go to "food events" (thanksgiving, super bowl, new years party). It helps when I turn my body into a trash can and eat all the junky food!

Good timing Martini Mom! You slid your post in while i was typing.

I forgot about the digestion benefits of ginger pills. My wife makes me take Papaya enzymes when we go to "food events" (thanksgiving, super bowl, new years party). It helps when I turn my body into a trash can and eat all the junky food!

Lol :D. Exactly! Dh likes to eat from "too many nations at once." ;) Ginger helps all the countries get along in his stomach.:)

I vote for Bonine too....I take it the night before we leave and each night before bed and I never have a problem....

My very first cruise, I didnt take anything (thinking...seasick? me? no....) boy was I wrong....got up the first morning, feeling great, at first.....then it hit me....long story short, I spent the entire first day of the cruise in bed....got some meds from the service desk and never made that mistake again....

An ounce of prevention.............

Please don't listen to the people who start taking their meds 1-2 days before their trip so that it is "in their system". That is totally unnecessary!

Only take 1/2 a pill 1 hour before ship sails (bonine is chewable, so just bite off half the pill, I keep the other half right in the bubble pack and smooth the foil over top to keep it is place for next time). Really, if you didn't actually get seasick the first time you sailed, you should be fine with 1/2, and if you feel like it is not enough, you can always go back and take the other half.

Enjoy your trip!

I usually buy the generic 'Meclizine' and take it at night. Medicine sometimes makes me drowsy, so it just helps me sleep.

Same here. Meclizine IS the active ingredient in the brand Bonine. We buy it from the pharmacist over the counter for $6.00 per 100 pills. They come in chewable too if that is a concern for any.

Last trip I also started on the Ginger and it worked well. As Martini Mom stated, it helps keep all those different countries get along in my stomach. However on the last day back in the seas were pretty rough and I did take some Meclizine as a precaution!!

When I first started cruising I took the Bonnie the day before we boarded the ship and then every morning after. After a couple cruises I started taking 1/2 tab in the am and another in the pm. I'm a stomach sleeper so any motion sickness tends to hit during the night. Eventually I was able to take only 1/2 tab at bedtime and was fine. Our last cruise I missed taking it several times and had no issues. My advice is to start taking it in the morning you cruise and then adjust it accordingly. It affects everyone differently :)

I swear by bonine. been taking for years on more thena dozen cruises. I do start taking 2 days before the cruise as I find that the first day, I do feel a little drowsy. I also take it at night usually around dinner time. Have never had a bad experience taking it and I have traveled through some very rough seas and never been sick i have converted my husband to taking it now also. And as others have posted, you can still enjoy a coocktail or two or three etc. No problem.

Enjoy your cruise.

Just a note. On one cruise 1 started taking 2 pills (still within limits) when I started feeling queasy the first evening. That did make me sleepy. Last trip I went back to one and all was well. I usually take mine in the morning. Maybe I will start in the evening for our next cruise.

Archived