steadiness

meow!

Being the largest cruise ship in the world, and one especially designed for Atlantic crossings, is the QM2 truly steadier than other ships in crossing oceans? With rough seas being unpredictable, has anyone experienced seasickness crossing the Atlantic on this ship? Thank you.

Not on the QM2, but my mother was cabin bound on a transatlantic crossing in October of 2002 on the QE2 and she NEVER gets sea sick. Unfortunately she has glaucoma and couldn't get "the shot" on board to make her feel better, or so they said it would have made her feel better. It wasn't a pleasant trip for her, being stuck in the cabin sick, but she continues to travel transatlantic and all has been fine since that one time. It was extremely rough to the point Captain Wright kept coming over the loud speaker saying "there will be no refunds". It was bad, and most of the crew and passengers were sick, but highly unusual. Guess it can happen and that has to be kept in mind when traveling across the Atlantic.

In modern ships the most expensive cabins are on the highest decks. These are NOT the ones which are most stable. Ditto for cabins closest to the bow and stern. If you worry about seasickness, get a cabin fairly low in the ship and in the middle.

No matter how big the ship is it's still just a tiny little spec in the ocean. It's amazing how much they can be tossed around if it DOES get rough... Yes, the QM2 is more stable than many ships, but people can and DO get sea sick on her.

• 2 weeks later...

Returning last week 8/03/05 from Fort Lauderdale to New York we hit a storm and believe me the QM2 does roll, make sure you take sea sickness tablets as I would say the majority of the passengers did not venture far from their cabins that night. Glad however I was not on a smaller ship.

Hope this helps

Returning last week 8/03/05 from Fort Lauderdale to New York we hit a storm and believe me the QM2 does roll, make sure you take sea sickness tablets as I would say the majority of the passengers did not venture far from their cabins that night. Glad however I was not on a smaller ship.

Hope this helps

I took the cruise the day you arrived. It must of been one hell of a ride? When I got aboard ice covered the bottom of all the lifeboats. I was hoping for a day of rough seas. But my cruise was smooth the whole way. Oh well, I guess I have to keep booking the QM2 till I get one. Right?

Archived