RCCL excursions to olympia - Is it a guided tour?

illiniwahoo

I'm considering a RCCL excursion to Olympia, as described below. Having a guided tour of the ruins is important to me (otherwise it's just a pile of rocks:). The description says nothing about a guided tour, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a guided tour. Has anyone done this excursion or a similar one that can confirm that is is a guided tour thru the ruins? (I don't care if the museum is a guided tour or not)

Thanks!

Ancient Olympia & Archaeological Museum w/Shopping in Olympia Town - KK01

Katakolon is gateway to Ancient Olympia, archaeological site of 1st Olympic Games in 776 BC. During visit, spend approx 1.5 hrs exploring archeological site & 1 hr in museum. See Temple of Zeus. View Temple of Hera, Shrine of Pelops, Council House, Treasuries, Palaestra & Gymnasium. Step thru gate onto floor of original Stadium. View marble starting blocks still in their original positions. Short walk takes you to Olympia Archaeological Museum. In museum, find unique collection of Greek sculpture. Conclude visit with short drive to Olympia Town for approx 30 mins of free time. Return to port. Note: must walk approx 1 mile over uneven & rocky paths. See full description for complete notes.

Katakolon, a charming fishing village on the Ionian Coast, is your gateway to Ancient Olympia the archaeological site of the first Olympic Games in 776 BC. Every four years the Olympic flame is rekindled there and carried to wherever the games are hosted around the world. The Olympic Games were held at this site until 393 BC when the Emperor prohibited pagan festivals and eventually ordered the temples to be destroyed. In the 6th century, earthquakes completed the ravages of man and successive floods gradually buried what was left of the sacred land, preserving it until archaeologist brought it back to life in 1875. From Katakolon, you will enjoy a brief scenic drive through the small villages along the way.

During your visit, you will spend approximately 1.5 hours exploring the archeological site and 1 hour in the museum. See the Temple of Zeus, once the richest in the sanctuary, it contained the giant gold and ivory statue of Zeus, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Then view the Temple of Hera, the Shrine of Pelops, one of the oldest in the Sanctuary, the Council House, where the athletes took the Olympic oath, the Treasuries, the Palaestra and Gymnasium. Step through the gate onto the floor of the original Stadium, which could hold 20,000 spectators. View the marble starting blocks still in their original positions. A short walk will take you to the Archaeological Museum of Olympia.

In the museum, you will find a unique collection of Greek sculpture, including the famous Hermes of Praxiteles. Also contained there are many other artifacts including ancient pieces of armor and bronze figurines, unearthed during many excavations over the years. Concluding your visit, reboard your coach for a short drive to Olympia Town where you will have approximately 30 minutes of free time to explore and shop in this busy town with many cafes and shops. Return to the port.

Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 1 mile over uneven and rocky paths. Comfortable walking shoes, hat, sunscreen are recommended, specially from June to September. Ancient Olympia is not wheelchair accessible. Due to traffic regulations in Olympia Town, coaches will park approximately 0.80 mile from the city center. Additional walking required.

I'm considering a RCCL excursion to Olympia, as described below. Having a guided tour of the ruins is important to me (otherwise it's just a pile of rocks:). The description says nothing about a guided tour, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a guided tour. Has anyone done this excursion or a similar one that can confirm that is is a guided tour thru the ruins? (I don't care if the museum is a guided tour or not)

Thanks!

I'm certain it will be a guided tour (of the ruins), although a quick email to RCCL would confirm this. I did that sort of thing with HAL and this shows what we did

You will be on your own in the museum.

All the best, Tony

Archived