St. John by myself?

ejkj84

I am trying to decide if I should do the taxi-ferry-taxi on my own or take the St. John on your own excursion (the 6 hour one). The price is actually not that much different ($32 vs $40), however I think I would have a little more time possibly if I did it on my own. The thing is no one else in my group want to venture that far so I would really be on my own. Would that be safe? Another alternative is to take a 4 hr sailing/snorkeling trip. However, I feel I would not be taking advantage of all the time we have in port (9am-8pm), and it would break up my day too much.

Years ago I went solo on a "happy divorce to me" cruise. The idea was to go on a cruise and do everything I wanted to do, without having to worry about someone else. The first stop was St. Thomas. I had signed up for the St. John shore excursion, but found out that morning that it had been canceled. So I talked to the cruise people and they told me how to do it myself and I did.

I found it well worth it. Just leave yourself a reasonable cushion to get back...so you are not stressing out. No issues with safety that I could see.

Years later, I am going back to St. Thomas with my wife and daughter and we are going to go to St. John on our own....same way. We can't wait.

We recently did the St. John Trunk Bay tour through Princess. It was great but we really only had 1 1/2 hours of beach time. It would be perfectly safe to do it on your own. You may even meet others willing to share a cab. Doing it on your own will give you more time. As another poster said, be mindful of the time, ferry schedule, etc. so that you can return to the ship in time. Have fun! St. John's in beautiful!

Archived