Shopping in Port

Am headed out on the Allure, but have heard conflicting statements as to which port is better for shopping, St. Maarten or St. Thomas. Looking mostly for jewelry, but other stuff as well. I've heard that one port is better than the other for specific items. Can anyone that has been there help out? Thank you!

Am headed out on the Allure, but have heard conflicting statements as to which port is better for shopping, St. Maarten or St. Thomas. Looking mostly for jewelry, but other stuff as well. I've heard that one port is better than the other for specific items. Can anyone that has been there help out? Thank you!
My wife always seemed to think the prices were better in St Maarten. If i remember correctly the prices for liquor were a little better there as well!

We've been to both islands several times and it REALLY depends on the season, how many ships are in port, and the shop your dealing with. We now get all the DW diamond jewelry from a merchant in St. Thomas. We've been doing it now for 15 years and have never been disappointed with the quality or have been able to beat her costs. All the merchants will "deal" with you on the price so NEVER accept their first offer. The cruise ship will give you a list of "approved" merchants but we have found over the years we can certainly beat their "deals" by doing a little comparison shopping.

My DD just gave us our first granddaughter last November and so on our upcoming cruise on Allure in May, the DW has already said we're stopping by the jewelry store to get her first set of diamond earnings ...lol..I thought the costs went down as the kids got older...no way..lol

I was looking to purchase a blue diamond ring while we were on the Allure in January. I looked in St. Thomas and then in St. Maarten. I ended up buying in St. Maarten at Kays jewelery store in downtown Phillipsburg. Ask for Yogi. He gave me a great deal on the ring and sent an appraisal to me in the mail. He even took another 3% off the price when I told him I was going to have to pay a 3% foreign transaction fee on my credit card. I had it checked at my favorite jewelry store at home and they said it was worth more than I paid and that they were very good quality diamonds. I feel very good about the price I paid and every time I look at the ring, I think of my wonderful cruise on the Allure. :)

Take a picture of jewelry,cameras, purses, then go home and buy on Amazon.. u will save a bunch. I saved two hundred on a camera.

if u want to shop both ports are great; my wife bought a nice bracelet in St. Thomas.

My choice would be St. Maarten. A close relative has been to St. Maarten numerous times and has purchased many high quality jewelry pieces and watches from Joe's Jewelry on Front St. He has three locations within a couple of blocks. Two stores to the left facing the Court House at 60 & 66 Front St. and one to the right of the Court House at 40 Front St. We were on a huge family cruise the week of New Year's and had called Joe's Jewelry in advance of our trip to St. Maarten with our plans to stop into his 66 Front St. store. When we (22 of us..!! jewelry shopping) turned the corner onto Front St. we noticed a huge professional sign at the entrance to the store announcing our family name on arrival for that day. Upon entering the store with cheers and claps of applause we were treated with champagne, wine, cold drinks and a table full of cheeses, fruits, crackers, and finger sandwiches. What a wonderful way to start our stop on St. Maartens. Needless to say we spent a lot of $$$ there and the jewelry and watches are top quality. It was a great day for all! Stop in and see what you think of Joe's Jewelry, I don't think you will be disappointed. BTW...I don't receive any extra discount for refering people there...I just believe they are an excellent company to do business with. Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Archived