Carnival Imagination or Destiny with 2 preteen girls?

sueswny

I'm going to take my two granddaughters on a cruise in July. Carnival seems to be the only one that meets my needs for date, departure. I have cruised a lot, but on premium lines (Oceania, Celebrity, river cruise, etc.) I'm not too keen on sailing Carnival, but it's for the kids--and I'm sure they'll have a good time. Both would be a 4-night cruise from Miami, to Key West and Cozumel.

It looks like I have a choice between the Destiny and the Imagination. Can anyone give me some feedback about these. especially as it pertains to preteens? Cabin is also a question--I think the OceanView cabins on each ship are about the same size (185 or 186 sq. ft.). But how do they compare? Imagination has drop-down Pullman berth for a triple, I think. Any problem with this? I would actually like to get a balcony, which on Destiny is same size as an OV + a 65 sq ft balcony. On the Imagination the only option is a suite--but looks like the balcony is tiny and not worth the extra $.

Can anyone help me decide between the two cruises? How easy to maneuver the ships? Overall experience? Program for the preteens?

THANKS for any help you can give.

Sue

Three years ago we took our two granddaughters on the Imagination on a 5 day cruise and they loved it. I personally like the Imagination enough that we have cruised her several times. Very easy to navigate and not overwhelming in any way. We had a cabin with the pullman bed and the girls thought it was really cool and of course both wanted to sleep in it, so they took turns. I would not spend the money on a balcony on the Imagination because they are indeed tiny. They loved the "action" by the pool and the water slide set up which was new that year. The younger one was 8 and she went to Camp Carnival and loved it, the older was 11 but is not a joiner so she chose not to go and found plenty to do because she loves to "people watch".

Thanks, Bunkie. This helps. I think I'll choose the Imagination. These girls are going to love whatever they do....they've never done any sort of travel before. (They are "new" granddaughters--my stepdaughter just married their father, and this is my way of welcoming them to the family.) I'm sure we'll keep busy and enjoy the trip--and it will be a good way for me to bond with the girls.

Imagination is the way to go. I have been on it before and the end of June we have 4 teenagers going with our small group. Last year I took my 2 teenage girls on the sensation and they loved it. Sensation is the same as the Imagination... Carnival is great for teens:)

I have been on both the Imagination and the Destiny. I think the layout of the Imagination is easier to get used to. We had cabins in the front of both ships and on the Imagination it didn't seem to take long to get anywhere, but since the Destiny is a bigger ship we always felt like we had to leave the cabin a little earlier to get to dinner and such.

You'll have fun on either though! :D

WE sailed the Destiny with 2 kids our son was 15 and our daughter 11 and they were both bored and wound up hanging with us the whole time which was fine since it was their 1st cruise...We felt there wasnt enough to do on the Destiny in General but we loved the ship and would sail on her again..

Archived