Castel Odescalchi at Bracciano

wantocruisemore

We are considering taking a quick trip to tour the Castle at Bracciano on our way after checking out of our pre-cruise apartment in Rome and on the way to embarkation at Civitavecchia for the Navigator.

Could someone tell me about how long the trips would take? Whether anyone has done it? Is it feasible or recommended, etc? I would love to hear from those of you who have been to the Castle as to whether it would be worth the trip. Also, the castle's website says the tours are one hour. Would a two hour total visit be realistic?

We have alreaady reserved Rome in Limo for our transport from our Rome apartment to the port. I think I could talk to Jany about adding in the sidetrip to the Castle without too much problems. That way our luggage could stay with the driver/vehicle too.

On a side note, my mother-in-law LOVES castles, as does several others in my group of nine. I think they would appreciate it.

Bumping up hoping someone has been!

Heard back from Jany they can do the detour but she's indicating 5 hours and it will more than double the cost of the transfer. I'm trying to narrow that down for an exact timeline of how long it takes to get from Rome (in old section) to Bracciano and then to port.

It may end up taking too much time.

I found out that it will be about an hour to the Castle from Rome and then about an hour from the Castle to the Port. The tour of the Castle lasts an hour and is only 7 euros. You do need to email the Castle if you are interested to reserve. They said that normally tours are 15 people and the english tours on Sunday are usually around 10:30am. That would work for us and I also have the promise if they do not have 15 by 10:30 they will conduct the tour for my group of 9.

I understand that around 1 pm or so is a good time to get to the Port.

We're going to go ahead and add this to our private transfer with Rome in Limo. The times seem very doable and I doubt if we will have the opportunity to visit the Castle again. The nearby Medieval town of Ceri has also been recommended as a stop if we have time.

• 4 weeks later...

We ended up booking the detour from our apartment in Rome to the port via the Castle. We're excited about the added tour. Jany was able to reduce the price some since we just needed a driver and not a driver/guide.

We also have reservations at the Castle for a 10am or so tour. The tour there will be about an hour.

I want to enjoy my last bit of time in Rome. I'm really in no real hurry to get on the ship, but all estimates point to getting there around 1 pm or so. It took me 30 years to get back to Rome and I'll likely be drug off screaming for the flight home. The good news is I know my DH will fall in love with Italy so I will get him back soon. It will be his first time there.

Archived