Any experience with activities for ages 11 and 15 on QM2 summer TA?

junglejane

My DH is anxious to do a transatlantic on the Queen Mary 2 next summer with our 2 DD's, who will be 15 and 11 by then. His idea is to take an eastbound crossing in June 2012 and then spend some time in London and/or Paris before flying home. I am wondering if anyone here has had any actual experience with kids this age on the QM2 in the summer. (Please don't tell us to go on Disney. :))

DH and I just returned from 4 days on the QV, which we very much enjoyed. Thanks to Capnpugwash, we know there are 4 formal nights and one semi-formal on a 7 day crossing, and that is not a problem. In fact it's part of the attraction. Our daughters love any excuse to dress up. They also love eating in the MDR and are used to cruising on ships without waterslides or rock climbing walls. But I am hoping there will be something for them to do! I am under the impression that on a 7 day June crossing there will be a decent number of kids and teens onboard.

It's mainly the 11 year old that I'm wondering about. I figure that the 15 year old will find some other teens her age and have a good time (while following our family's "cruise rules" and checking in regularly with mom). The 15 year old also enjoys joining us for trivia, afternoon tea, some of the shows, etc.

But I know from the older DD's experience that 11 can be a difficult age for cruising -- starting too feel too old for the kids' program but not really ready for much independence. That's why I'm hoping for some decent age appropriate activities for my 11 year old -- hopefully not just lumped in with 6 and 7 year olds for movies or arts and crafts. Does anyone have any experience with this on Cunard? Are the kids divided into age groups (such as 10-12) for activities? Any reports on the types of activities?

I posted this question on the Family Cruising board as well, hoping someone can post a report.

We took our 14 year old son on a TA 2 years ago, which he really enjoyed. Although he did not want to join the teen programme we did see a reasonable number around the ship. The facilities looked good and the daily programme for them was quite varied. He enjoyed the pool and the daily lectures. We have travelled on QM2 since and it is now my sons favourite. I am sure they will have a great time.

Unless you are happy losing one hour a night for 5 nights, I would seriously advise that you fly to London, do the touristy bit and then sail back to NYC in comfort with the luxury of an extra hour each of 5 days. Or you could sail each way and spend two weeks in between in London.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I've gotten the general impression that there will be a reasonable number of kids and teens onboard during a June TA. I keep hoping someone will chime in with info about the activities in the Play Zone for 11 year olds.

Capnpugwash: DH originally wanted to do a westbound crossing for precisely the reason you suggested. I'm the one in favor of an eastbound, on the theory that we will gradually adjust to the time difference and arrive in Southampton without being terribly jet lagged. We can't really take the time to cross both ways, given our other plans for sightseeing. But I am hoping that an eastbound crossing will help us avoid those first several days of feeling like a zombie. But our choice may end up being determined by the timing of the schedule when it comes out.

I haven't been on the QM but the activities for the 7-12 age group on the QV include scavenger hunts WII/PS3 consoles arts and crafts, DVD nights they usually provide a programme at the start of the cruise so you and your children can decide if and when to go.

The age groups are officially 1-6 in the Play Zone 7-12 in the Zone and 13-17 in the Zone but this often changes according to the age and number of children on board for that cruise. If I remember rightly children can sign themselves in and out of the Zone from the age of 10/11(?) with your permission (you sign a form allowing them to do this).

Hope this helps my kids really enjoy the activities on the QV and like yours do not need rock walls etc to enjoy a cruise but do enjoy the freedom of going to the Zone and meeting kids their own age.

I haven't been on the QM but the activities for the 7-12 age group on the QV include scavenger hunts WII/PS3 consoles arts and crafts, DVD nights they usually provide a programme at the start of the cruise so you and your children can decide if and when to go.

The age groups are officially 1-6 in the Play Zone 7-12 in the Zone and 13-17 in the Zone but this often changes according to the age and number of children on board for that cruise. If I remember rightly children can sign themselves in and out of the Zone from the age of 10/11(?) with your permission (you sign a form allowing them to do this).

Hope this helps my kids really enjoy the activities on the QV and like yours do not need rock walls etc to enjoy a cruise but do enjoy the freedom of going to the Zone and meeting kids their own age.

I just talked with my 12 year old, as we were on the TA last summer and I asked him (though he is aware of the activities for the girls too) about the activities available. He mentioned that in addition to what was already highlighted by previous posters, that there was a special tour of the QM2 and an evening at one the shows in the theater. Plenty of relationships are made with other kids, as all three of my kids (12, 10, 7) have all kept in touch with other kids they have met on the voyages they have been on. The staff in the Kids Zone are absolutely wonderful and are very engaging with all the kids at every age. I can assure you that there will be plenty of others for your daughters to connect with, as there will be for my kids when we Back to Back cross the Atlantic in late August....Bon Voyage...

Archived