Dangerous traveling to Mexico?

Hello. We are all pretty aware of the craziness going on Mexico. However, I am not to concerned with my upcoming cruise to Cozumel. I have been on enough cruises to know or at least hope that Carnival would no take their guests to somewhere so dangerous. We have some newbies coming with us and they are freaking out mainly because of others comments. Does anyone think there is reason to be afraid of cruising to Cozumel?:confused:

Just give the newbies the facts, and tell them to relax!;)

Maybe point out how things can and do happen anywhere.

I liked someone's analogy last week about the Mazatlan thing. Worried about stopping in Mazatlan, when they leave from Long Beach CA? that cracked me up!

I can relate, looking for a Long beach hotel that I felt would be relatively safe for my grand kids for one night, was a nerve racking experience.

While looking up restaurants, I came across a review for Roscoes Chicken and waffles. " the slight chance of bullets flying only adds to the ambiance". :D

The resort areas of Mexico are as safe as anywhere else. The real problems are in the border towns. Keep your eyes open and don't be stupid, and you will all be fine. :)

True! We were in Mexico in December. No problems at all.

The resort areas of Mexico are as safe as anywhere else. The real problems are in the border towns. Keep your eyes open and don't be stupid, and you will all be fine. :)

Mazatlan and Acapulco aren't border towns but large seaports in Mexico. But like border towns goods pass through easily. The violence is between people on both sides of the drug problem. Innocent bystanders could be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There have been shootings in St Thomas (young girl was shot) and there is violence against cruise passengers in other Carribbean ports. Mexico is getting the press right now.

We are going on the Sprirt in a few weeks with stops in Cabo, La Paz and hopefully Mazatlan. If we get to Mazatlan we are planning to go to the old Plaza area.

The resort areas of Mexico are as safe as anywhere else. Does that mean the resorts are NOT SAFE, because most of the other areas are dangerus.

The real problems are in the border towns. Aren't the ports on the border?

Keep your eyes open and don't be stupid, and you will all be fine I agree, :)

Good points,

Cozumel is an island, hence it is pretty insulated from alot of the the mainland issues.

I had friends who returned last week from a cruise on the Dream and said the only issue they saw was lots of soldiers with weapons guarding the area in Costa Maya but no issues in Cozumel.

Archived