Why no answers to snorkel Q's on this board?

minke

Does no one who is a serious snorkeler look at this board? Several cruisers have posed questions below without a single answer! or is the snorkelling that bad it does not warrant an answer? There are ships tours offering snorkelling, so some one must have opinions! Now I love to snorkel in warm water (you can see my photos on webshots user = ericy102), & I have snorkelled at Cabo once before several years ago & only average in my book but new tours to different bays are offered now by cruise lines. So how about it, do we who are cruiseing there next month get a definative answer to the best snorkel spots/tours on Mex Riv?

We snorkeled in Cabo and the water was not very clear and not much to see - this was in June. Everything I have read is that in general it isn't very good in the Mexican Riviera. This may be why you aren't getting answers. Not much to talk about. It was ok for us because it was our first try. Now we know it can only get better and we are looking forward to some snorkeling in Hawaii later this year.

One reason might be that compared to the Caribbean or Hawaii, it's colder and there is not as much life to see. Another reason might be the scuba and snorkel people tend to be in the scuba and snorkel forum, not here!

I have answered a few snorkel questions over the last week or so, but as pppiglet said, the Mexican Riviera is not a good place for snorkeling. I will try to answer any question I can if you (or anyone else) need help! We just snorkeled in Acapulco and PV in January.

I just returned yesterday from the Ryndam 10 day cruise to Manzanillo, Acapulco, Zihua/Ixtapa, PV, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. We snorkeled off La Roqueta Island in Acapulco and it was great. At least 10 varities of fish, and we snorkeled just off the beach. Water temp was pretty close to the air temp, which was about 79 that day. A boat with "Acapulco Divers" on the side even anchored and had snorkelers in the water while we were there. La Roqueta is a spot for the locals - no cruise ship pax other than us that I could tell (and there were 3 ships in port) - so you have to be a bit adventurous to get there, but I can give details if anyone is interested. You must also have your own equipment. There is a glass bottomed water taxi to the island and they give a tour of the bay, including the submerged statue of the Virgin of Guadalupe, but the tour is in Spanish and is geared for the locals - no one even attempted English for our benefit, but we caught bits and pieces of it and enjoyed it anyway. Round trip water taxi was $5pp USD plus taxi to and from the cruise terminal (about $10 each way) With 2 Coronas at the beach the day cost us $35.(total for 2 people)

We also took a ship-sponsored snorkel in Zihuantanejo (to Manzanillo beach) on the Vltava and I would highly recommend it. The sailboat was beautiful, and there were 2 guys that were in the water at all times to help the inexperienced and point stuff out. We saw a skate, some eels and most of the same species that we saw in Acapulco. One of the guides caught a pufferfish and showed it to everyone and let us hold or touch it before he released it. Again, many different varieties of fish - better than I expected after reading these boards. But that may be due to the time of year or recent weather. We anchored in about 30' of water and swam to the reef. You could walk on the beach if you wanted, too. We also saw a whale and her calf on the sail out to Manzanillo beach. The return trip offered beer and tequila shooters as well as sweet rolls and fresh fruit - no alcohol before snorkeling. Great crew - lots of fun but not too much of a party, if you know what I mean.(approx$80pp thru the ship)

Those were the only 2 ports where we snorkeled. Some others from the ship signed up for the snorkel trip to Santa Maria beach, (Cabo San Lucas) but they never got in the water. It was cloudy that day - no sun at all and the air temp was about 71. According to the ships statistics, the water temp was about 73, but after a breezy catamaran ride to Santa Maria beach, the people we spoke to didn't even want to get into the water because they were too cold. If it were me I'd've probably gone in, but we decided to snorkel only in the southern-most ports for this very reason. I was in PV in March 3 years ago and went snorkeling somewhere near the arch (sorry, I don't remember exactly where) and it wasn't so great, but I can definately recommend Manzanillo beach and La Roqueta Island. The water was clear and the fish plentiful and colorful. Hope this helps.

I have snokelled in Cabo in January with my family. I am also a certified diver. The water was warm, clear and there was lots to see. My children & husband who have never snokelled loved it. We took lots of pictures underwater and my kids who have never seen that many different color fish have expressed that they would do it again and can't wait to go again. My husband now wants to get his certificate to dive.

I snorkeled 2 weeks ago near PV - Marietas Islands. The water was freezing and I couldn't even warm up - I had to get out. Last year in Cabo - first week of March the water was just as cold - couldn't snorkel or swim. Unfortunately, the peak season in the northern part of the Mexican Riviera is a bit cold for swimming.

Archived