First Time Cruisers - Gem HC Aft Mini Suite Dilemma

juliecious

Hi all,

First of all, please don't flame this post or anything, I just started reading everything on this board and felt that I need to ask the opinion of all seasoned cruisers here about something.

I booked a Bahamas cruise through a TA ($500 cheaper than NCL.com) for myself, DH and my MIL (all first timers here). The TA asked me if anyone in the party was HC and I said that MIL is legally HC, she has a disabled tag for her car. However, she doesn't use a WC or any of the sort. She has MS and on some days she has to walk with a cane. She is a frequent at the local hospital, she's always there for stomach problems, for falling, etc. So long story short, TA said that qualified as HC so she gave us room 11650 as I wanted an aft cabin.

So I was reading this board and I saw many posters said that it is not fair to take HC rooms if you're not really HC - and I don't think my MIL is HC. I don't want to get any looks from the other cruisers on my trip.:(

Am not sure what to do - I checked NCL.com and apparently all AF suites are sold out.

Any thoughts? I honestly did not know (and didn't think to check) the room and at this point, I don't mind giving the room to someone else who needs it.

However, provided our cruise is March 12 - I don't know if there is anything else I can do? :confused:

This topic comes up every month or so. And, it gets long and heated.

On one hand, I think everyone wants these held for truly handicapped persons.

On the other hand, the cabin should not, and will not, sail empty. If it is the day before sailing, and there is not an HC person that needs it,then?? At what point in the process should it go to whomever wants it? Not easy to answer.

On the third hand (told you this was long) - these cabins are often not desirable due to open shower setup.

Good luck with this.

Archived