Kids under 3 entering Club HAL

kabukijuul

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue...We are traveling on the Nieuw Amsterdam next week with our 5 yr old and 2 yr 11month old sons. My youngest has missed the Club HAL cutoff by a few weeks. I already know that they will not allow him to stay in Club HAL by himself, but the question is: will they allow him to participate in some Club HAL activities if I am there to assist him??

On the phone, I have heard HAL reps say yes...no problem, but one person did say that it is up to the individual ship. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Also...does potty training factor into the decision?

I was on the Oosterdam in January 2009 with my then 2 year old and 6 year old girls. At that time, as long as I was there to supervise, they allowed me to bring the younger to have some play time and interaction.

I understand that the potty training issue relates only to the staff and center not set up to deal with diapers and changing. The only challenge that comes to mind has nothing to do with Club HAL. A child of that age in swim diapers will not be allowed in the pool. Period. In fact, twice on our cruise we saw another parent try to bring their child just to sit on the side of the pool and splash in the water and they were told immediately that the child couldn't be in the pool. It made it tough at times for the little one to have her sister swimming and not be able to go in the pool.

Thanks for the info! I am not looking for babysitting, but rather things to do with him during the cruise. It is nice to hear that they let you bring your 2 yr old into Club HAL.

Also...thanks for the pool advice. Luckily, he is already potty trained (when I mentioned potty training, I was hoping that a kid without diapers would have a better chance to play at Club HAL). The pool isn't an issue for us!

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to answer my own question...in case there are other interested parents of 2 yr 11 month olds going on the Nieuw Amsterdam:

No, they will not allow a 2 yr 11 month old into Club HAL whether or not mom is there to assist. They will not even allow him through the door.

We still had a fabulous time...the (almost) 3 yr old loved the pools, shows and Costa Maya pyramids. We liked our experience so much that we booked a 14 night Alaskan cruise on the Amsterdam for June. The (almost) 3 year old will CERTAINLY be 3 this time around and will be allowed into Club HAL with big brother.

Our 2-y-o grandson was not allowed in either - my daughter went up to Club Hal to ask if he could stop in if she accompanied him. They nicely explained that parents were not allowed to stay there - and children had to be 3.

So he'll go on his next cruise, too! :p

I am glad you had a wonderful experience and are returning to HAL.

Our grandson also loved the shows and had a great time!

I was looking at our pix today and one of the best memories - every night when we were getting ready to leave the MDR, the assistant manager came over with the chimes and let our grandson play them! [Not sure of the musical term for it!]

Archived