Smithsonian Journeys: how accessible?

PennyAgain

Does anyone have experience with Smithsonian Journeys? I am looking at both their tours that are on cruise ships and their land tours.

I am worried about 'must be able to do stairs without handrails and walk 2 to 3 miles per day on uneven ground'. As stated in their tour information.

I telephoned them and didn't get clear answers.

My abilities vary based on the state of my injury on the day at hand and am afraid to book with a company with such statements.

Thank you!

I wouldn't book with this company if you don't feel that you could meet the physical requirements stated in the printed material. I wouldn't trust the sales staff even if they tell you not to worry, your needs will be accommodated.

We have been on many trips with Smithsonian both on land and sea.

It has been our experience that the statements in their brochures are somewhat inflated; HOWEVER, we have seen on numerous occasions people in frail condition with serious medical conditions or mobility issues who are on these trips trying to keep up with the rest of the group. Not only do they slow everything down but present a liability issue in certain circumstances. For example, trying to load and unload people into zodiacs for shore excursions on adventure trips. Not only do they endanger themselves but all the other passengers too by choosing to ignore the "qualifiers" in the brochure. My husband has personally helped ship's crew try to get someone off a zodiac and up a set of ten steps to get back onto the ship in a choppy sea.

We have been on trips where the tour leader has to "babysit" someone who is not able to keep up and is therefore unavailable to anyone else. And this is just on walking tours in European cities.

We have always enjoyed Smithsonian tours (and have taken about a dozen of them). The quality of their study leaders is excellent and the price is all inclusive!!

I think you just have to look at each trip individually and really read their itinerary. For some trips, you may not have to worry but when something says "walk 2-3 miles over uneven surfaces", if you're unable to do half that, I don't think you should consider it.

Thank you. I was leaning in the direction of not booking with Smithsonian Journeys (have traveled with them when I was really fit) but the new wording in the brochure has me bothered.

I've developed a terrible fear about going down stairs without a handrail or even 2 handrails. I just don't trust the strength of my injured leg and have taken a couple of really nasty falls.

Don't need more injuries!

Archived