Newbie in need of advice

kittyness

I'll be on my first cruise in May. My husband and I are taking Carnival to Grand Cayman. I need some advice on whether our plans are do-able.

Background: My husband and I aren't huge fans of the typical tourist activities. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but we tend to be a bit more adventurous. We like to sample local food and culture. At home and on vacation, we love to seek out small hole-in-the-wall places because we've had great fun in the past! (We've also been disappointed a few times but that's part of the adventure.)

We've chosen to eat at Seymour's Jerk Centre, which is little more than a shack from what I can tell. It's on Shedden Rd near North Shore Way (close to the airport). I can't find a bus route that goes that way so we plan to walk there. There is a bus stop at an intersection a few blocks away that we plan on using to get to Sea Grape Beach.

So, we plan to walk from the tender drop-off to Seymour's which is about a mile. Then, we plan on taking the bus to the beach. When ready to go back to the ship, we plan to take the bus to the library and walk to the tender drop-off from there. Does that sound plausible? Thanks!

Seymour's has been a Grand Cayman landmark of sorts for many years. It is indeed little more than a shack on Shedden Road near the intersection of Eastern Avenue, Shedden Road, and Sound Way (there is no North Shore Way, and it is much closer to the port than the airport). They serve up good, island-style food and are located a little bit of a walk from the waterfront.

There aren't really many formal bus stops. The Kiwani's or Lion's Club installed a few bus shelters years ago but the buses will stop anywhere if you raise your arm and flag them down.

The bus system is entirely privately run and there is no coordinated system of transfers between routes - you just pay each driver individually.

I think there may be some buses that leave the library depot, come down Shedden Road and turn onto Eastern Avenue before proceeding to West Bay. Ask around at the depot or just make the 10 minute walk. Look for a bus with the letters WB and route number 1 or 2 on the front. This would pass within a block of Seymour's.

Any WB route 1 or 2 bus will pass the length of Seven Mile Beach. Ask the driver to stop at Sea Grape or Calico Jack's beach bar which is a nearby landmark.

The ride back to town is easy. Cross the road (look to your right for oncoming traffic) and catch any bus heading back to George Town. They all go to the depot.

Archived