Facetime

150edmiston

Hi all,

can anyone advise if they've used Facetime on board? The new IPad 2 is out at the end of the month in the UK, and I am planning to buy one before our cruise in April. Just wondered if it would work and allow us to speak to the kids back at home?

Thanks

David

Hi all,

can anyone advise if they've used Facetime on board? The new IPad 2 is out at the end of the month in the UK, and I am planning to buy one before our cruise in April. Just wondered if it would work and allow us to speak to the kids back at home?

Thanks

David

Hi David,

I just returned 2 weeks ago from a cruise on the Quest. I could not use Skype because of the ship's firewall(that's what they told me on board), so I would imagine that Facetime won't work, either.:mad:

Thanks to all for the replies.

Mugwood - kinda knew the answer before I asked the question!! Follow Follow brother. Will post a review and some pics when we get back.

Travelinjudy - if Skype wont work then you're right it will be a no for facetime. Takes up way too much bandwidth and on a limited connection it would kill it for everyone else. I also hear that uploading photo/video clips are a no-no as well. Pity, but makes sense.

David

David,

Good stuff, what cruise itinery have you booked?

Leave in a few weeks ....Singapore to Dubai. Leaving from Glasgow with Emirates to Dubai, 2hr stopover and then straight onto Singapore. 17 hrs.:(

I'll post a review and some pics when we get back which is about the end of April.

David

Leaving from Glasgow with Emirates to Dubai, 2hr stopover and then straight onto Singapore. 17 hrs.:(

David

Looks good, some nice ports and a good number of sea days.

Did Emirates - Bangkok via Dubia. Good airline, such a long long time in the air that it's put me off long haul. If AZ is as good as the reviews then I might put up with long haul next year and do Hong Kong area.

Have a good one.

Max.

I am sorry but I don't know what Facetime is but I assume it is VOIP like Skype. I took my (old) iPad on board and although there is a notice in the computer room saying they do not support this, I managed to Skype home on several occasions when I had a better internet connection.

I am sorry but I don't know what Facetime is but I assume it is VOIP like Skype. I took my (old) iPad on board and although there is a notice in the computer room saying they do not support this, I managed to Skype home on several occasions when I had a better internet connection.

Thank you Gilly. Facetime is an application available on newer I-Phones and the new I-Pad 2. It's basically like a video conference between the two devices. It may work if you managed to get Skype working.

Thanks

David

Archived