San Diego Dining Questions

cat4151

Next week we will be staying at the Omni in San Diego before our cruise, we'll just use the local trolley to get around, except on the day our cruise gets back we'll rent a car to have somewhere to put our luggage.

What are the best places in San Diego for: Breakfast, Mexican, and Sushi?

And why are they the best?

Thanks for any input.

Next week we will be staying at the Omni in San Diego before our cruise, we'll just use the local trolley to get around, except on the day our cruise gets back we'll rent a car to have somewhere to put our luggage.

What "trolley" are you referring to?? The Old Town Trolley Tours (bus)? The San Diego Trolley (light rail)? Both have limited places they go. What do you plan to do in San Diego?

I assume you mean the Omni Hotel on L Street in the Gaslamp Quarter. You can easily walk around the Gaslamp, but if you want to go to Balboa Park or the Zoo, you will need to take a bus or cab. You can visit Little Italy, Old Town, and Mission Valley on the San Diego Trolley with a least one train change. The Trolley does not go to the beach or airport, nor to Balboa Park or anywhere north of Mission Valley, such as the Wild Animal Park (now called the Zoo Safari) or La Jolla. The Old Town Trolley Tours is a commercial jitney type tour that you can get on and off at any of their stops. It travels a set route.

As far as places to eat, you might want to check out these discussions about Mexican restaurants in Old Town.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1370038

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1371112

I am not a big sushi fan, but suppose others will advise you on this. There are lots of places in the Gaslamp for this.

For breakfast downtown, I would stick to one of the following:

Brian's 24 Hour

Richard Walker's Pancake House

Cafe 222

Hob Nob Hill (a little further from your hotel...probably a cab ride)

Thanks for any input.

We stayed at the Omni before the cruise and on the return they stored our luggage free of charge untill our evening flight time

We stayed at the Omni before the cruise and on the return they stored our luggage free of charge untill our evening flight time

That's a good option, I'll have to ask them about that

What "trolley" are you referring to?? The Old Town Trolley Tours (bus)? The San Diego Trolley (light rail)? Both have limited places they go. What do you plan to do in San Diego?

I assume you mean the Omni Hotel on L Street in the Gaslamp Quarter. You can easily walk around the Gaslamp, but if you want to go to Balboa Park or the Zoo, you will need to take a bus or cab. You can visit Little Italy, Old Town, and Mission Valley on the San Diego Trolley with a least one train change. The Trolley does not go to the beach or airport, nor to Balboa Park or anywhere north of Mission Valley, such as the Wild Animal Park (now called the Zoo Safari) or La Jolla. The Old Town Trolley Tours is a commercial jitney type tour that you can get on and off at any of their stops. It travels a set route.

As far as places to eat, you might want to check out these discussions about Mexican restaurants in Old Town.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1370038

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1371112

I am not a big sushi fan, but suppose others will advise you on this. There are lots of places in the Gaslamp for this.

For breakfast downtown, I would stick to one of the following:

Brian's 24 Hour

Richard Walker's Pancake House

Cafe 222

Hob Nob Hill (a little further from your hotel...probably a cab ride)

I was referring to the light rail, I thought it went to Balboa park? Or maybe just using the city bus. We were just going to explore, maybe check out the beach if it's nice weather, thought about the zoo but it's pretty expensive. I had looked at those message boards, but I was checking to see if there were some more authentic and not so touristy suggestions, we were thinking about Richard Walker's but wanted to here from people who had been there to know if it was overrated or if there were some other places they might suggest. Thank you for all your great information.

I love all those places for breakfast if I am in the downtown area. There is also a Broken Yolk location in the Gaslamp someplace. I always go to the one in Pacific Beach, so have not been to that one.

As I said, the Trolley does not go to Balboa Park (where the Zoo is located). I love the Zoo, and the package prices are quite reasonable for what you get. I am a member though, so I go on a regular basis. You can easily spend a day here, but can also take in some of the other sights in Balboa Park including a number of museums, the Old Globe Theater complex, and nice gardens. The roses are just starting to bloom.

The beaches will still be COLD in March. OK for a walk if you bundle up well against the breeze, but way too cold for swimming except for the most hardy polar bears (in the low 50s F). I rarely go in before Independence Day. You could take the small passenger ferry (just south of the cruise ship pier) over to Coronado, then catch the bus that goes down Orange Blvd. and get off near the Hotel del Coronado. The old hotel is worth a stop (they have tours too), and the beach north and south of there are good places to walk and watch the waves.

Archived