NCL Spirit Delux Penthouse Privacy (10502 and 10002)

TheShoot

Hi. I really hope someone can answer my question. I have just booked Suite 10002 for 12 Night Eastern Med Cruise from 3 June 2012.

I did this after much research on the web. I am very worried though about three things involving the privacy of the two forward corner Delux Penthouse Suites on the Spirit (10502 Singapore Suite (light wood) and 10002 Malaysian Suite (dark wood))

1. It looks like one can see down onto the front balcony from the protruding bridge windows in the middle above?

2. It also looks like one can see down onto the small side balcony from the protruding side windows from the bridge above?

3. I have read here that there is a camera close to the side balcony that gives the bridge vision of the side of the ship towards the back. According to a few this will give the bridge a view of your side balcony at all times ?

Now, if the answer to any of the above is yes, it would be creepy.

Can anyone that's been in the suites before or knows the ship give me feedback please.

Much appr

Hi. I really hope someone can answer my question. I have just booked Suite 10002 for 12 Night Eastern Med Cruise from 3 June 2012.

I did this after much research on the web. I am very worried though about three things involving the privacy of the two forward corner Delux Penthouse Suites on the Spirit (10502 Singapore Suite (light wood) and 10002 Malaysian Suite (dark wood))

1. It looks like one can see down onto the front balcony from the protruding bridge windows in the middle above?

2. It also looks like one can see down onto the small side balcony from the protruding side windows from the bridge above?

3. I have read here that there is a camera close to the side balcony that gives the bridge vision of the side of the ship towards the back. According to a few this will give the bridge a view of your side balcony at all times ?

Now, if the answer to any of the above is yes, it would be creepy.

Can anyone that's been in the suites before or knows the ship give me feedback please.

Much appr

Since posting this I discovered that it looks like you can also see down from the observation decks front middle part above the bridge onto the front balcony ?

Front balcony: This is a really narrow space. Barely enough room for your legs when you're seated in a chair. Virtually useless when you're at sea. You'll have to go out through a heavy, watertight door to access the balcony.

As for anyone on the bridge looking down - I don't think this is a factor at all.

Side balcony: A little more useful but it was VERY windy. My husband didn't want me to go out there at all. Yes, there is a camera.

The Malaysian Suite had other issues I'd be more worried about. A huge support beam which visually cuts the living room in half. A large power converter box which sits on the floor in front of the entertainment center. Dark, gloomy and stuffy half bath. We also had plumbing issues with a clogged shower drain; water ran through the wall soaking the carpeting in the LR.

If we were to book a suite again on the Spirit, it would not be the Malaysian or Singapore.

Wow. thx OceanD

Cannot pick up what you described just from pictures.

The issue that the bridge can look down on both balconies on the second most expensive suite on the boat, plus have a camera watching one, is a factor for me.

My room should be private and I personally think that if I pay for a balcony, it is an extension of my room.

I had one of the front balconys, 10th deck on the Star. It is extremely windy when you are moving. We were next to the side owners suite (thats what it is called on the Star) They had the same problems with the wind and the bulkhead door is a pain to open and close. On the 10th deck you have a full view of the balconys below you and they can see you as well. Plus you have to keep your drapes drawn at night. I'd go for an aft balconey they are much nicer and the wind is not a problem. That is what I did, after seeing one on a cabin crawl.

I had one of the front balconys, 10th deck on the Star. It is extremely windy when you are moving. We were next to the side owners suite (thats what it is called on the Star) They had the same problems with the wind and the bulkhead door is a pain to open and close. On the 10th deck you have a full view of the balconys below you and they can see you as well. Plus you have to keep your drapes drawn at night. I'd go for an aft balconey they are much nicer and the wind is not a problem. That is what I did, after seeing one on a cabin crawl.

Thx. Alvarado. I weighed aft vs front for a long time. I would normally prefer neither and lean to just behind midships.

On the Spirit in particular though the problem seems to have always been the percentage of suites to other cabins. She has an undersupply (and no jnr. suites) which results in limited options.

This was my thinking (They are changing AB, AC etc to SE, SG etc in Sept for the drydock, so I will stay clear of the categories cause its confusing):

Owner Suite - (Deck 9) Aft cnr - too expensive - but NCL can get away with it because of supply and demand - Here the view should be great, the wind and motion minimum, reports of heavy vibration (bothers some and not others). Balcony is wrap round and the "biggest on the ship" - you can see the sea from the tub (albeit over the balcony).

Delux Penthouse - (Deck 10) Front 5 cabins - Spacious and not too big a jump from a normal penthouse in price. Motion and wind here might be problematic. Cant realy see the sea from the tub. Views must be the best on the ship (especially the cnr's with 2 balconies). The middle ones are also very spacious, but have no side balcony for when the front gets too windy. The Med though is normally good for this. The "big" door and drapes dont bother me personally.

Penthouse - (Deck 9) Aft 3 in the middle - Vibration again ? Balcony is double the size of the side penthouses on deck 10, but the view from the tub is "over" the balcony. The rest is pretty much the same as the side ones. Wind here should be less and for some reason reviews always mention the view from aft cabins.

Penthouse - (Deck10) 8 Side front No real diff from aft other than position on the ship and a smaller balcony. Though this allows you to shower and bath "right next to the sea".

1. Had to go for a suite as Spirit cabins are notoriously small

2. Its in the Med. I was there in 2010 in June on Splendour. Like glass it was. I bank on good weather. So front motion should not be an issue on this cruise. The view (2 balconies) and space of front cnrs weighed heavily.

3. The length of balcony is important on the Spirit, as the depth is pretty awfull alround. 2 Balconies just offered the best of all worlds, even with the side one beng very small.

Which brings me to my only real concern and the reason for my post. I recon that if you pay so much for a cabin, it should be private.

I understand it might not be an issue for some, for me it is, and to each his own ?

So please if you were in the cnr suites before, please tell me what you remember about the views from the bridge....

thx

The first photo shows the power converter thing - great for stumbling over and breaking a toe!

The second shows the bridge from the side balcony. Yes, they can see you on the balcony. If that's a huge issue, then look for a mid-ship suite.

I thought we had photos of the front balcony but I guess we were so underwhelmed we didn't take any. The front balcony is nothing like that you'll have on other NCL ships (Star, Pearl, Dawn, Gem, etc.)

60342284_MariNCLSpiritpowerconverter.jpg.8c74a6800913f1a60b9c88d960a79f27.jpg

1922973091_NCLSpirit018.jpg.0a858d74f828ef11cb89ca0c672d9c3f.jpg

Thx for your trouble OD2.

The box looks ugly yes.

Spirit is going into drydock in Sept. Maybe I can find out whether they will fix it (remove it) or wait for reviews when she returns to service....

Archived