Gratuities

Genner

I so agree

How do you manage to find all the individual people who make it possible for your stewrds or wait staff to be able to do their jobs efficiently, and are part of the 'tip pool' for that group. I do know that CCL divides the tips by 3 catagories - Cabin Staff, Dining Room Staff, and A small portion dedicated for the Lido deck/buffet staff.

I bring a roll of dimes and pass them out daily on Lido. I figure that's what they each get from the $1 out of my $10 per day. I just hope they share a couple of cents with the others they work with.

I feel like Im missing what you'all are talking about. If I have a onboard bill of $1000 or $1200 I am never charged a tax.

Who are you saying is paying this tax... sorry but I really dont get it.

Even if I prepaid tips, the add on taxes and fees are per person, no matter which cabin I book ...never a percentage. Its a flat fee, no matter the cabin or if prices go up or down. ... what am I missing that people are trying to say?

Thanks... I too am totally confused about the "Tax" I am being charged ! And it has never been a percentage of a cruise fare regarding gratuities. It is currently a set fee per person per day regardless of what your cruise fare is. :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks... I too am totally confused about the "Tax" I am being charged ! And it has never been a percentage of a cruise fare regarding gratuities. It is a set fee regardless of what your cruise fare is. :confused::confused::confused:

Im glad Im not the only one who cant follow that argument ...I thought it was me. I saw it yesterday and skipped over it because it made no sense to me.

I bring a roll of dimes and pass them out daily on Lido. I figure that's what they each get from the $1 out of my $10 per day. I just hope they share a couple of cents with the others they work with.

You pass out the whole roll or a single dime? If I was waiting on someone and got handed a dime I think I might kick them... :eek:

Im glad Im not the only one who cant follow that argument ...I thought it was me. I saw it yesterday and skipped over it because it made no sense to me.

it has been a heated debate between mcwebber and me. I just find no logic in what they are trying to explain regarding a "Tax" we are being charged or would be charged. And now they are talking about bringing rolls of dimes and distributing them to the staff ??? Huh ???

About number two: You don't tip before you've received the service. It isn't taken out until around the last sea day... I would hope that you certainly consider the last sea day to be at the end of your cruise. Thus, you are not paying until your cruise is over.

===========================================================

**Tips are always taken out on day 2..AT least thats the way ours have been on our acct..**

I would like to see them taken out near the end of the week also.

I agree that I don't like paying for a service that has yet to be provided.

But that said..I don't remove the tips form my acct.

About number two: You don't tip before you've received the service. It isn't taken out until around the last sea day... I would hope that you certainly consider the last sea day to be at the end of your cruise. Thus' date=' you are not paying until your cruise is over.

===========================================================

**Tips are always taken out on day 2..AT least thats the way ours have been on our acct..**

I would like to see them taken out near the end of the week also.

I agree that I don't like paying for a service that has yet to be provided.

But that said..I don't remove the tips form my acct.[/quote']

Huh ??? Gratuities are spread out and charged on your portfolio throughout the cruise (usually beginning on day 2 as mentioned above)..... not all lumped into the last sea day...

Huh ??? Gratuities are spread out and charged on your portfolio throughout the cruise (usually beginning on day 2 as mentioned above)..... not all lumped into the last sea day...

I would say further, that they often post to your account earlier and give you time to review them ...but they are not charged until you close out your account, as a charge for your entire onboard spending in one lump sum. They dont run a charge daily on people.

Posted to your account doesnt mean its charged the same date.

You pass out the whole roll or a single dime? If I was waiting on someone and got handed a dime I think I might kick them... :eek:

Oh, a single dime to each of 10 people I can find on the buffet. I've read that $1 per day goes to the behind the scenes people and buffet workers so this makes up for removing the tips. I can give the right amount easily to the MDR waiter and room steward.

Oh, a single dime to each of 10 people I can find on the buffet. I've read that $1 per day goes to the behind the scenes people and buffet workers so this makes up for removing the tips. I can give the right amount easily to the MDR waiter and room steward.

rofl sorry if it were me I might spit in your food

Cant wait until Carnival FINALLY makes it so people cannot remove tips.

Cheap People stay home

PS I wish the Hershey squirts on those people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Then that would not be a TIP. A tip is voluntary by true definition.A tip (also called a gratuity) is a voluntary extra payment made to certain service sector workers in addition to the advertised price of the transaction. Though by definition a tip is never legally required, and its amount is at the discretion of the patron being served.

If you want to tip extra for good or bad service thats your choice, but not required. Now if it is required it is not a tip but a service charge which I prefer like NCL. Your tip, there tip, whoevers tip is none of my business, but when people like you brag about your tipping these poor workers who make more than you you come off as snobbish. People tip or not it is your choice but please don't tip for bad service as the next person the next week will get the same bad service.

==================================================

I was replying to a previous poster who stated that the gratuities were added on the last sea day..

I KNOW they are not added the end of the cruise! They are added all at once on the 2nd day..

$70.00 per person...

Do what you wish.It is the American way to use their credit card instead of taking a few minutes of their time to give cash. We always cash tip for three reasons:

1: We like to hand someone a thank you for a job well done.

2:I don't pay for any service before I receive it.

3:Our biggest problem is how the cruise lines have started just to add that to our bill without ever asking permission.Then they make you go stand in line to change it.I thought I was their guest on a cruise.

So, now it will get ugly so just remember to do what you feel you want.

P.S. We still shop for Christmas and don't give gift cards. I guess we are just old-fashion.

I agree with your second point most of all . . . I don't like to pay for a service before I receive it. Automatically added charges are becoming the norm, and becoming a big problem in all areas, not just the cruise industry. Don't concern yourself everyone else attacking you on here. They are just the kind of people in the world who can't think for themselves and always do what they are told. They likely tip the blackjack dealers on the cruise ships after they drop a grand at the table.

Then that would not be a TIP. A tip is voluntary by true definition.A tip (also called a gratuity) is a voluntary extra payment made to certain service sector workers in addition to the advertised price of the transaction. Though by definition a tip is never legally required, and its amount is at the discretion of the patron being served.

If you want to tip extra for good or bad service thats your choice, but not required. Now if it is required it is not a tip but a service charge which I prefer like NCL. Your tip, there tip, whoevers tip is none of my business, but when people like you brag about your tipping these poor workers who make more than you you come off as snobbish. People tip or not it is your choice but please don't tip for bad service as the next person the next week will get the same bad service.

I am as far from snobbish.Thats number one .Number two you cannot comment on my income ,you have no idea how much I make.Number three I am a Bartender and rely on tips as my main income.We dont make a very large hourly rate and my taxes eat my entire check anyway.

Like I have said before in many other threads the non tip stiffs are always the ones asking for more liquor than is required ,more free razors from the room steward,they want that second entree with extra this and extra that.

cheap people go on all inclusives;)

I feel like Im missing what you'all are talking about. If I have a onboard bill of $1000 or $1200 I am never charged a tax.

Who are you saying is paying this tax... sorry but I really dont get it.

Even if I prepaid tips, the add on taxes and fees are per person, no matter which cabin I book ...never a percentage. Its a flat fee, no matter the cabin or if prices go up or down. ... what am I missing that people are trying to say?

oh brother. who is talking about on board charges? i am talking about the fare.

I am as far from snobbish.Thats number one .Number two you cannot comment on my income ,you have no idea how much I make.Number three I am a Bartender and rely on tips as my main income.We dont make a very large hourly rate and my taxes eat my entire check anyway.

Like I have said before in many other threads the non tip stiffs are always the ones asking for more liquor than is required ,more free razors from the room steward,they want that second entree with extra this and extra that.

cheap people go on all inclusives;)

It is your choice to work in an industry dependent on tips. Tips are not required, they are given for going above and beyond. If the gov't forced you to work as a bartender and you had no choice then I will gladly agree with you.;) You will not make me feel guilted into giving a tip for poor service for your chosen profession.

It is your choice to work in an industry dependent on tips. Tips are not required, they are given for going above and beyond. If the gov't forced you to work as a bartender and you had no choice then I will gladly agree with you.;) You will not make me feel guilted into giving a tip for poor service for your chosen profession.

Karma is great.We all get what we deserve

People like you are the reason they add the 15% to all bar sales ,Cant wait until its for gratuities as well

==================================================

I was replying to a previous poster who stated that the gratuities were added on the last sea day..

I KNOW they are not added the end of the cruise! They are added all at once on the 2nd day..

$70.00 per person...

Well, ours have never posted to our account any earlier than the last sea day on both cruises. I check our sail and sign daily.

BTW, you missed the WHOLE point trying to nitpick. The point is, that the charges are not deducted until you have actually received the service... Now, whether or not you see them on your account earlier means NOTHING. Why? Because that is not your final bill. It is a hold. So, when the money actually comes out, you have received the service.

oh brother. who is talking about on board charges? i am talking about the fare.

me too...talking about the fare... guess you didnt know that the add on taxes and fees are not a percentage?? so they would not change if tips were added into the fare.

Even if I prepaid tips, the add on taxes and fees are per person, no matter which cabin I book ...never a percentage. Its a flat fee, no matter the cabin or if prices go up or down. ...

There is no 10% or whatever, its the exact same amount no matter what the fare is or which cabin, all cruisers on the same cruise pay the same add on taxes and fees. Its not like sales tax which is a percentage, its a flat fee.

Adding on prepaid tips does no change the amount of add on fees and taxes...

travelntreats I am agreeing with you. there are some people who do not know how cruise pricing works and when someone tries to explain it to them ...they just go on the attack, so they will never know. I think its time to close this thread!!!

Archived