NCL Star 2/26 to 3/5/2011 Just got back

cacj

Beef tenderloin was on the menu....on our last cruise Le Bistro offered 2 sizes of filet mignon in Le Bistro with bernaise/hollandaise sauce....this is not on the menu now.

Hmm, we've been on many NCL cruises and I don't remember 2 sizes of filet mignon on the LeBistro menu. Are you confusing it with Cagney's?

Hmm, we've been on many NCL cruises and I don't remember 2 sizes of filet mignon on the LeBistro menu. Are you confusing it with Cagney's?

We have been to Le Bistro on several cruises, and more than once during a cruise, so I don't think there is confusion, but anything is possible as I get older and have more senior thinking skills.

Our recollection is that there was a petite and a larger sized filet mignon served with a sauce (hollandaise/bernaise).

I used to order the petite filet mignon at Le Bistro, which was the perfect size for me. But then again, perhaps I don't have a recollection that is accurate, although my mind pictures a very pretty petite filet served with a wonderful sauce, and we are seated in Le Bistro.

If I am misleading anyone here, I am sure someone will correct my error.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. What night was "lobster night"? Didn't want to book a specialty restaurant for that night.:D

My recollection was that it was Tuesday or Wednesday night, and I am leaning toward Wed.

SHOWS:

Saturday: "Welcome Aboard Showtime"......CD Jaime welcomed all of us, and there was music and a juggler. I was exhausted, and the gentle rocking of the ship put me to sleep....DH said the juggler was very good.

Sunday: "Band on the Run".....a variety of musical numbers that rocked....the voices were good, the set was fun, and the entire show very entertaining....they had us all on our feet at the end.

Monday: "Extreme Vegas".....not sure how to describe this show....magic...acrobatic...a combination....use of some high tech and some hype....a good show, but not the best that week.

Tuesday: "Shout! The Mod Musical"....a colorful romp thru Dusty Springfield's songs. It was entertaining, energetic and worth our seeing.

Wed: "The Second City".....cannot tell you about this as we passed on it.....we just wanted some alone time in our cabin ; )

Thursday: "Elements"......This show was fabulous. There are so many wonderful things to say about it, but then it would be giving it away....just go to it....it is fun, wonderful, great!

Friday: "Farewell Show: Angel"........These 2 artists are amazing..... you must see this. The grace, strength and poise of their performance was thrilling.

and the "Crew Show": As always, it is fun to see the crew show off their talents, and the ending, "Fountains", always brings a crowd to its feet with appreciation and laughter.

There were also mini-shows such as a hypnotist, a Second City Improv and Mexican Folklorico. (I enjoyed the Folklorico, DH was bored.)

DANCE PARTIES:

Each night, the Spinnaker, Deck 7 aft, had dance music with some different theme, from 80's to 50's music, and of course the White Hot Night.

The bands and DJ were great and the cruise staff fun and energetic. We enjoyed the music.

We like to dance....unfortunately, the Spinnaker is badly designed for the large crowds who come in to participate for the dancing.

The dance floor is dark and too small. The lighting is blinding or leaves you in the dark....and if you wear glasses, (we do) the lights that flash in your face on and off are really blinding. It is difficult to see your partner in the glare and flare.

The crowds can be so tight that if you are near the stage you can risk being caught by the edge...although it seemed the cruise staff were always trying to keep that area under their watchful eyes.

Generally, speaking, the Spinnaker is a huge disappointment to us.

The chairs are so crowded in that if you are in the middle section of chairs and wish to dance you risk tripping to get out of the row.

It is too dark to see it all clearly.

The bands were great, absolutely without a doubt and they deserved to have folks appreciate them.

Dancing is one of the ways we like to express appreciation, but the Spinnaker is just not a fun place to dance. We wanted to stay longer, but it was too darn uncomfortable each night, and we left earlier than we wished for. I wish they had a second dance venue on deck 7. And we miss Mr. Motown!

GAMES:

They had bingo every day, I think. Too costly for us, but folks loved it. The first day they had quite a few folks buy the "package" and it was $65. I don't know what each day's bingo costs were, as that was the only one we attended.

They have the "Newlywed, Not so Newlywed Game" and "Quest" "Perfect Couple" and trivia. There were other fun things...I just don't remember them all.

QUIETER PURSUITS:

The library is forward on deck 12 and was well used by passengers. A nice spot, though smaller than I remember it previously.

There are really few places on deck 7 or deck 6 now to just sit and people watch....where there used to be some comfortable seats and chairs...now is the Blue Lagoon and Endless Summer.

There are window seats along the corridors of deck 7, and bars/lounges which have some chairs...and on the promenade deck a few lounge chairs....but again, even Gatsby's was crowded in with furnishings and it was really overly jammed....not comfy.

SPA: That will be reviewed in Part 3, the final chapter of this review.

SHOWS:

Friday: "Farewell Show: Angel"........These 2 artists are amazing..... you must see this. The grace, strength and poise of their performance was thrilling.

For the most part cacj I totally agree with your review and think you did a fabulous fair analysis.

I can only somewhat agree with you on the show Angel. The 2 artists, yes were extremely talented and did show grace, strength and poise. I was very amazed by their talents. However in saying that, the show itself I found very long and boring. Between the lulling music and the repetition it was 4 times as long as it could have been.

I am in no way trying to be rude, or belittle the skills of Jeremie and Eleonore but I really had to strain to stay awake through the entire show.

Tuesday: "Shout! The Mod Musical"....a colorful romp thru Dusty Springfield's songs. It was entertaining, energetic and worth our seeing.

I would say this was our favourite show of the week. Original concept (which says a lot considering the majority of cruise ship shows), and GREAT vocalists. Not too often you see that many female singers in a cast.

The chairs are so crowded in that if you are in the middle section of chairs and wish to dance you risk tripping to get out of the row.

It was like a cave. Really did not like the atmosphere in there ("what atmosphere?" you might ask!)

Mike

I love your review. It is very helpful. We are going to be on the Star on 4/9. Can't wait, since it's our first suite experience. All your comments are very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

SHOWS:

Saturday: "Welcome Aboard Showtime"......CD Jaime welcomed all of us, and there was music and a juggler. I was exhausted, and the gentle rocking of the ship put me to sleep....DH said the juggler was very good.

Sunday: "Band on the Run".....a variety of musical numbers that rocked....the voices were good, the set was fun, and the entire show very entertaining....they had us all on our feet at the end.

Monday: "Extreme Vegas".....not sure how to describe this show....magic...acrobatic...a combination....use of some high tech and some hype....a good show, but not the best that week.

Wed: "The Second City".....cannot tell you about this as we passed on it.....we just wanted some alone time in our cabin ; )

Thursday: "Elements"......This show was fabulous. There are so many wonderful things to say about it, but then it would be giving it away....just go to it....it is fun, wonderful, great!

and the "Crew Show": As always, it is fun to see the crew show off their talents, and the ending, "Fountains", always brings a crowd to its feet with appreciation and laughter.

There were also mini-shows such as a hypnotist, a Second City Improv and Mexican Folklorico. (I enjoyed the Folklorico, DH was bored.)

DANCE PARTIES:

Each night, the Spinnaker, Deck 7 aft, had dance music with some different theme, from 80's to 50's music, and of course the White Hot Night.

The bands and DJ were great and the cruise staff fun and energetic. We enjoyed the music.

We like to dance....unfortunately, the Spinnaker is badly designed for the large crowds who come in to participate for the dancing.

The dance floor is dark and too small. The lighting is blinding or leaves you in the dark....and if you wear glasses, (we do) the lights that flash in your face on and off are really blinding. It is difficult to see your partner in the glare and flare.

The crowds can be so tight that if you are near the stage you can risk being caught by the edge...although it seemed the cruise staff were always trying to keep that area under their watchful eyes.

It is too dark to see it all clearly.

The bands were great, absolutely without a doubt and they deserved to have folks appreciate them.

Dancing is one of the ways we like to express appreciation, but the Spinnaker is just not a fun place to dance. We wanted to stay longer, but it was too darn uncomfortable each night, and we left earlier than we wished for. I wish they had a second dance venue on deck 7. And we miss Mr. Motown!

GAMES:

They had bingo every day, I think. Too costly for us, but folks loved it. The first day they had quite a few folks buy the "package" and it was $65. I don't know what each day's bingo costs were, as that was the only one we attended.

They have the "Newlywed, Not so Newlywed Game" and "Quest" "Perfect Couple" and trivia. There were other fun things...I just don't remember them all.

QUIETER PURSUITS:

The library is forward on deck 12 and was well used by passengers. A nice spot, though smaller than I remember it previously.

There are really few places on deck 7 or deck 6 now to just sit and people watch....where there used to be some comfortable seats and chairs...now is the Blue Lagoon and Endless Summer.

There are window seats along the corridors of deck 7, and bars/lounges which have some chairs...and on the promenade deck a few lounge chairs....but again, even Gatsby's was crowded in with furnishings and it was really overly jammed....not comfy.

SPA: That will be reviewed in Part 3, the final chapter of this review.

For the most part cacj I totally agree with your review and think you did a fabulous fair analysis.

I can only somewhat agree with you on the show Angel. The 2 artists, yes were extremely talented and did show grace, strength and poise. I was very amazed by their talents. However in saying that, the show itself I found very long and boring. Between the lulling music and the repetition it was 4 times as long as it could have been.

I am in no way trying to be rude, or belittle the skills of Jeremie and Eleonore but I really had to strain to stay awake through the entire show.

I respect and appreciate your review of the show....I can understand it, as I had trouble on the first night with the rocking of the ship, the dark stage setting ... my husband said I missed a great show, but I kept falling asleep while the juggler juggled. I was literally rocked to sleep by the ship.

Is Spinnaker Lounge the only place to dance? Isn't there a Dazzles or Bliss or something like that?

Thanks, AJ

As far as we could find, only Spinnaker inside the ship (they did have some pool deck events, but we are not big into that scene, we prefer the lounges and want to dance in a lounge)

....here is a link to Star public areas

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/publicRooms.html?shipCode=STAR

I would say this was our favourite show of the week. Original concept (which says a lot considering the majority of cruise ship shows), and GREAT vocalists. Not too often you see that many female singers in a cast.

It was like a cave. Really did not like the atmosphere in there ("what atmosphere?" you might ask!)

Mike

I really enjoyed the nostalgic tour thru Dusty's songs....it brought back memories and made me realize how talented she was!

I agree....a cave aptly describes the lounge.

I must absolutely disagree. I was on that same cruise and found the staff to be incredibly phony. I did not see the Cruise Staff ever interact with passengers other than when hiding behind a microphone. We tried to reach the Cruise Director to resolve an outstanding issue for four days with no call back. We ended up with the Hotel Director who was also apologetic but unwilling to help. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am with the subprofessional.

The shows were fair but I half expected Justino to be making the beds and serving dinner; that man was everywhere. The final aerialist show was very good but if the cruise staff spitting water all over each other for their grand finale was entertainment then I am in the wrong place. Yes, I said spitting water all over each other and simulating drinking pee.

I have taken many cruises on many cruiselines but this was by far the worst.

I must absolutely disagree. I was on that same cruise and found the staff to be incredibly phony. I did not see the Cruise Staff ever interact with passengers other than when hiding behind a microphone. We tried to reach the Cruise Director to resolve an outstanding issue for four days with no call back. We ended up with the Hotel Director who was also apologetic but unwilling to help. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am with the subprofessional.

The shows were fair but I half expected Justino to be making the beds and serving dinner; that man was everywhere. The final aerialist show was very good but if the cruise staff spitting water all over each other for their grand finale was entertainment then I am in the wrong place. Yes, I said spitting water all over each other and simulating drinking pee.

I have taken many cruises on many cruiselines but this was by far the worst.

It’s too bad that you didn’t enjoy the cruise. I did run into a couple of people that were not enjoying there’s but really never asked them what their issue was.

I really can’t make a comment on the crew show because I was too tired after Angel and went to bed. Actually I was disappointed in missing it. But as seen on CC boards many times, shows like food are subjective. For example second city is extremely popular, I don’t like that type of show so we didn’t even bother going. Unfortunately since we are from a different time zone we didn’t get to see many shows since we were in bed early (according to LA time) every night.

Although there were a couple of things that in a review I might have rated a 3 / 5, it was nothing that would take away from the full enjoyment we had. Except of course the cold weather and unfortunately NCL could not fix that. I always feel a vacation is what you make it and never let any little things ruin it.

If you don’t mind me asking what the actual problem was that you would so desperately need to speak to a cruise director (person responsible for making the fun and games on the ship that you may partake in if you wish).

I hope your next vacation is more to your liking.

Sounds like they didn't like the Fountains, I did on the Jewel. I loved the Spinnaker Lounge on the Jewel which still has it above the Bridge. I can't imagine it now without any windows,even at night with most of the shades drawen you could still feel you were somewhere special. Where Spinnaker is now on the Star didn't stop me from booking but I think I'll be spending less time in the lounge then I did on the Jewel.

It’s too bad that you didn’t enjoy the cruise. I did run into a couple of people that were not enjoying there’s but really never asked them what their issue was.

I really can’t make a comment on the crew show because I was too tired after Angel and went to bed. Actually I was disappointed in missing it. But as seen on CC boards many times, shows like food are subjective. For example second city is extremely popular, I don’t like that type of show so we didn’t even bother going. Unfortunately since we are from a different time zone we didn’t get to see many shows since we were in bed early (according to LA time) every night.

Although there were a couple of things that in a review I might have rated a 3 / 5, it was nothing that would take away from the full enjoyment we had. Except of course the cold weather and unfortunately NCL could not fix that. I always feel a vacation is what you make it and never let any little things ruin it.

If you don’t mind me asking what the actual problem was that you would so desperately need to speak to a cruise director (person responsible for making the fun and games on the ship that you may partake in if you wish).

I hope your next vacation is more to your liking.

I can appreciate someone's perspective about the shows (Fountains might offend some with high sensitivity to such comedic stunt) and if one found the staff unapproachable, I respect that view. It was not our experience, and I can only report on our own.

I too would like to know what the problem was that led to such a view of the CD and her staff.

Sounds like they didn't like the Fountains, I did on the Jewel. I loved the Spinnaker Lounge on the Jewel which still has it above the Bridge. I can't imagine it now without any windows,even at night with most of the shades drawen you could still feel you were somewhere special. Where Spinnaker is now on the Star didn't stop me from booking but I think I'll be spending less time in the lounge then I did on the Jewel.

The Spinnaker is the Spinnaker in name only now on the Star. I have a video of how dark it is, but I do not know how to download such a thing. But it is truly dark and hard to enjoy. I am glad it didn't stop you from booking, as I wouldn't hesitate to be on the Star again, but we are most disappointed about the dance venue, or limited space thereof. This is truly a downside.

SPA:

We did experience the spa. And there were issues about some practices in the spa, and I have sent correspondence to the Mandara Representatives and am awaiting their resolution of the matter. So, my final review of the spa will be pending until I hear from them, as it is only fair to take into account all of the facts and outcome.

OVERALL

With the problems of smoke, the dark dance venue, and the spa issues taken into consideration, would we board the Star again? Yes, we would.

Things we would look forward to:

The staff were available, responsive and fun, and we would hope that this experience would happen again.

We would go to the shows. The entertainment was plentiful, and we found ourselves fully entertained.

We would continue to enjoy the MDR. The food in the MDR, while lacking vegetables, was always served at proper temperature, was nicely presented, and tasted good. The wait staff took any concern or request with professional response and good attitude.

Le Bistro was fine, but we would probably pass on it next time.

We would be sure to communicate clearly with our PCC and with any onboard rep about any terms that we need to understand before or during the cruise.

We would bring duct tape!

We would attend the CC Meet and Greet again!

We would look forward to seeing Captain Gunner and his crew...they were first rate.

We would attend the "how to run a floating hotel" lecture again.

We would avoid attending the bingo launch.

We would avoid deck 6 at all times the casino is open.

We would not go to the Blue Lagoon, but would try the Endless Summer.

We would definitely not buy a week long spa pass.

And, I would pack one less pair of shoes!

Hope this review has been helpful to any who have taken the time to read it, and when I hear from Mandara, I will complete that last detail.

SPA:

Things we would look forward to:

The staff were available, responsive and fun, and we would hope that this experience would happen again..

Agree

We would go to the shows. The entertainment was plentiful, and we found ourselves fully entertained. .

:( that I was so tired by show time, that we had to miss so many

We would continue to enjoy the MDR. The food in the MDR, while lacking vegetables, was always served at proper temperature, was nicely presented, and tasted good. The wait staff took any concern or request with professional response and good attitude..

I have no complaints on the food/restaurants (:o and I'm a real picky eater). I'm very happy Barrington's calorie remote worked since I remained the same weight when I came home.

We would attend the CC Meet and Greet again!.

Definately, enjoyed meeting everyone

We would look forward to seeing Captain Gunner and his crew...they were first rate..

:)

We would attend the "how to run a floating hotel" lecture again..

I'm so sorry I missed this (DH went alone). I really figured it would not be well attended and I really wouldn't be interested. I was wrong on both points.

And, I would pack one less pair of shoes!.
:D

Hope this review has been helpful to any who have taken the time to read it, and when I hear from Mandara, I will complete that last detail.

Great review cacj

Archived