Decent mask or goggles, how much can I expect to spend?

wrxrob

I'm looking for an upgrade to the masks/goggles one would buy from a place like "Sports Authority", or Wal-Mart.

I'm not a pro snorkeler, or scuba diver. I just want to have a decent mask or goggles to bring along in case we do a snorkeling excursion, or just to use while swimming at the beach.

We are first time cruisers. The only time we tried snorkeling was at Punta Cana. And with their supplied goggles, mine would fill up with water as soon as I plunged beneath the water surface :( . Looking to avoid that problem this year. :)

I'm looking for an upgrade to the masks/goggles one would buy from a place like "Sports Authority", or Wal-Mart.

I'm not a pro snorkeler, or scuba diver. I just want to have a decent mask or goggles to bring along in case we do a snorkeling excursion, or just to use while swimming at the beach.

We are first time cruisers. The only time we tried snorkeling was at Punta Cana. And with their supplied goggles, mine would fill up with water as soon as I plunged beneath the water surface :( . Looking to avoid that problem this year. :)

I would expect to pay at least $50US for a decent mask that has the ability to fit properly. DOn't buy anything in a sealed package...you need to try the mask against your face...push it up to your face and it should seal itself and stay on for a while. They do come it different sizes.

I love www.swimoutlet.com for this kind of stuff. They have great prices, and they are wonderful about returns, so if it doesn't fit etc, no prob. AND they ship FAST!

We recently bought this mask:

IST Imperial Scuba Mask (w/ nose purge)

and this snorkel:

IST Dry Top Purge Snorkel

I am amazed by the quality. I am NOT at all some pro snorkeler, but for $47 for the set, it is far superior then the junk you get and use for one vacation and toss...

You can do just fine with a mask from $30 - $50. The important thing again is trying it on. I would go to a local dive shop. If your face happens to fit the $30 mask great! If not, you will have to pay a little more. My brother fit in the cheaper one. My face fit one that was $40 or so. That is the one I use for freediving and it works great. Fit is key here.

Also, if you are planning on diving down at all do not get one with a purge valve. It will break from pinching your nose to equalize and quickly flood with water. I like purge valves for snorkels sometimes, but horrible for masks.

I also want a decent set of gear for our cruise. I think it will be money well spent. I had a cheap set in the Dominican a couple years ago. I had fun but it leaked.

I have plenty of time so I'm going to try and stop in a dive store sometime when I'm close to one and try on some masks. There isn't any shops close so if I don't get to try some on I'll buy some online. Thanks for the info, Aubs, the mask you mentioned has great reviews!

I have personnaly used Leisure Pro extensively over the last several years. One thing I really like is that if something doesn't fit right or isn't acceptable in some other way, they will refund you $$ as soon as you send it back. They even send you the stuff to send it back on their $$.

You can do just fine with a mask from $30 - $50. The important thing again is trying it on. I would go to a local dive shop. If your face happens to fit the $30 mask great! If not, you will have to pay a little more. My brother fit in the cheaper one. My face fit one that was $40 or so. That is the one I use for freediving and it works great. Fit is key here.

Also, if you are planning on diving down at all do not get one with a purge valve. It will break from pinching your nose to equalize and quickly flood with water. I like purge valves for snorkels sometimes, but horrible for masks.

I have got to disagree with you on the mask with a purge valve. I bought my Us Divers (Aqualung) mask back in March 2000. It now has 523 dives on it----many of them deep dives well past the recreational limit of 130 feet.I have had to replace the mask strap but I hope to continue using it for another 500 dives.I paid $50 for it at the local dive shop.I always wash the mask and purge valve with fresh water and never have a problem with it.

You can still buy a bundle and get decent quality. In the past we had always rented gear but didn't want to for our upcoming trip. The set I bought my wife was roughly $80 (Made by Tilos) and included mask, dry snorkel, and fins. My set was a little cheaper coming at at around $55 and included all the same things. We actually took them to our local YMCA and tested them several times for leaks, etc. We wanted to make sure all fit well and worked well for us. I bought my set off of Amazon and my wife's set off of Snorkel City's site. However, if you have a dive shop local that sells decently priced masks, then I would probably agree with those that tell you to look there first. Hope you find what you are looking for!

I have got to disagree with you on the mask with a purge valve. I bought my Us Divers (Aqualung) mask back in March 2000. It now has 523 dives on it----many of them deep dives well past the recreational limit of 130 feet.I have had to replace the mask strap but I hope to continue using it for another 500 dives.I paid $50 for it at the local dive shop.I always wash the mask and purge valve with fresh water and never have a problem with it.

OK so it is true that masks with purge valves can work. But there is also an increased risk of it failing like mine did. Mine was a US Divers but can't remember the model. It is hard to tell before hand if the one you get will be good or break is the point, and since the purge valve isn't necessary, I consider the risk of it breaking to outweigh the benefits. Perhaps you could mention the model of yours in case someone does want a quality purge mask?

• 2 weeks later...

Mask is all about fit. Different masks will have different shapes. The cost of the mask will have no bearing on how good it is FOR YOU. I have a narrow face so I actually use kids masks. I've used mask which are $100 and they are horrible for me.

You should be able to put the mask on your face without the strap and it will just stick (think suction cup). The strap doesn't really hold the mask on, breathing in through your nose will hold the mask on. Put a snorkel in your mouth when you try this. Your mouth will be different with a snorkel in it. A mask which fits without snorkel might leak with a snorkel.

Don't tightness the strap too much. This will actually make the mask leak. The strap is just to stop the mask from falling off if you (a) breath out your nose or (b) there is a cross current.

I'd recommend dropping into a scuba/snorkel shop and try on some of the masks they have available.

When you say "diving down at all" do you mean as part of a scuba dive, or if you're snorkeling and decide to dip down and get a closer look or something like that? I was interested in getting the purge snorkel, but I agree that if there's a chance of failure, I'd rather just purchase what I'm used to.

Thanks!!!

I meant while snorkeling diving down to get a closer look (freediving or breath-hold diving). It still applies to scuba though. The purge valve that poses the biggest problem is the one on your mask, not the snorkel. You need to pinch your nose to equalize your ears as you dive down every few feet. The purge valve can hinder pinching your nose a little bit and it can be weakened by pinching it and come apart from the mask letting water in. I had it happen to me and it ruined the rest of the day because the mask would fill with water in just a few seconds making it unusable.

Of course snorkel purge valves can fail too, but I think it is less likely. I prefer having a purge valve on my snorkel, but like to have a backup just in case it does fail.

Archived