Cruising in Oct....HELP!

hlb76

Hi gang. I am trying to convince the DH that we can afford a second cruise this year. We normally take a winter cruise each year as you can see below. We are seasonal campers so the summer will not work for us. But the kids have a extended break here in MN the 3rd week in Oct. I thought this might be a good time to go. My other option is Thanksgiving but the kids would miss more school and not sure I can afford that.

I have never cruised this time of year. Any suggestions for the best ports or places to go in Oct? Anything I should know about this time of year? I think it's still hurricane season right? Any suggestion on how to conveince the DH?

I even told the DH maybe we could even drive to save some money. Normally the cost of flights is more than our cruise fare. But w/ the price of gas maybe it will be equal. :eek: I think I figured Charelston, NOLA and one more where a 17-19 hour drive from MN. I know it's a long drive but I'm willing if it means another cruise.

I want to book a ES rate which I don't know to much about so if we decide we can afford it I will be back to get all my info about that.

For October cruise-- base the decision on a ship NOT the destination.

You take the chance of the itinerary being rerouted elsewhere because of hurricanes.

If you book based on the destination you stand the chance of being disappointed which can ruin your vacation.

For October cruise-- base the decision on a ship NOT the destination.

You take the chance of the itinerary being rerouted elsewhere because of hurricanes.

If you book based on the destination you stand the chance of being disappointed which can ruin your vacation.

With the exception of one, all my past cruises have been in Oct. DH's birthday month and the rated are excellent. I have never been diverted due to hurricane, though I am perfectly aware that is a possibility. Now that I have cruised both Eastern and Western itineraries, the ports aren't as big of a deal. But October rates are SO worth the risk. It's not like you are sailing into an eye of a hurricane. So I recommend book it!!!

We are looking at a 3-5 day cruises and mostly out of Fla. There is not a big option on to where we can go over this short time. I really do not care we we go. And as far as the ships they are all in the same class other than Destiny.

I was thinking more towards one going to Coz or Key West as we have never been there. But as I said ports are not super important. This will be a major budget cruise so we will do more sight seeing and beaching it instead of expensive excursions.

We cruised in Oct., but it's what worked for us schedule wise, but we knew we were taking a chance with it being during hurricane season. Would we do it again? You bet! In fact, my mom & I are cruising in September. LOL. We just understand & know that there could be changes & possibly a missed port. I saw go for it! :D

We are looking at a 3-5 day cruises and mostly out of Fla. There is not a big option on to where we can go over this short time. I really do not care we we go. And as far as the ships they are all in the same class other than Destiny.

I was thinking more towards one going to Coz or Key West as we have never been there. But as I said ports are not super important. This will be a major budget cruise so we will do more sight seeing and beaching it instead of expensive excursions.

You seem open and it is a short window so you should be fine weather permitting. Late October can be a fun time to go when Mother Nature cooperates, and mostly she does in that slowly ebbing timeframe of Hurricane season but not always. Have fun if you decide it is right for you! I've done it and loved it as it is like a last warm weather fling before winter.

If you are thinking of driving.... Id pick the nearest port not the furthest, to save on gas.

Try and pick something practical like New Orleans to convince your hubby you are serious.

That's what I am trying for. I think Miami is out of the picture which really takes out about 4 cruises from our short list, but driving all the way to Mia is crazy.

I think there are 3 ports w/ cruises in our time frame that are with in 2 hour drive of each other so this gives us options. Plus it might be fun to drive and see some new places. My oldest DS said if we drive he prefers not to go. Silly kids!

Hi Heather, We cruised last Oct on the Legend. We were on the Oct 31 Halloween sailing and thought we would be safe from a Hurricane that late in the season. Well wouldn't you know we hit the very last one, Hurricane Tomas. We ended up missing Grand Cayman due to this but the ship did a wonderful job of keeping everyone entertained and it just gave us another reason to book another cruise that would include Grand Cayman. One on hand, the prices during that time frame are very,very good but on the other hand you do stand a risk of missing a port or two. So just weigh it out and consider the risks.

With that being said, Tampa seems to have some very good airline rates. The hotels are also very resonable. The Inspiration is leaving Tampa in Dec, so sailing on one of her 4 or 5 day cruises would allow you to experience this ship. Also, Sailing during the time frame you are talking about would allow you to experience some of the fun Halloween activities that the ships plan. Last year the Carnival site set up a post that included most all ships that sailed form Oct 16th to Oct 31 would have the Halloween festivites. We had such a good time sailing over Halloween, all of the festivites ans special happenings were just a plus that added to our cruise experience.

Good Luck to you. Cari :)

Thanks Hoosiercouple I never tyhought about Halloween as we would be sailing 10/17 we might get some spooks. HOW FUN!

I have looked into Tampa. It's one of my tops as price is good and I like the ports, even though we may misss them.

I am going to check flights but most don't have them listes that far out yet. We flew Southwest to San Diego this winter and see they fly to Tampa so for the right price I would do this.

we cruised last october and LOVED IT...the kids had a blast...

I did a little research for you... based from ST. PAUL, MN...(assumed you lived close to there, could be wrong)...

Galvestone is 19 hour drive

NOLA is 18 hours 51 minute drive

Mobile 18 hours 48 minute drive

Charleston is 21 hours and 18 minute drive

Jacksonville 22 hour and 54 minutes

So, really within 3 to 3 1/2 hours of each you have a choice of 5 different ports to choose from...

If you are close to St. Paul that is.. :D

we cruised last october and LOVED IT...the kids had a blast...

I did a little research for you... based from ST. PAUL, MN...(assumed you lived close to there, could be wrong)...

Galvestone is 19 hour drive

NOLA is 18 hours 51 minute drive

Mobile 18 hours 48 minute drive

Charleston is 21 hours and 18 minute drive

Jacksonville 22 hour and 54 minutes

So, really within 3 to 3 1/2 hours of each you have a choice of 5 different ports to choose from...

If you are close to St. Paul that is.. :D

Thanks for looking.. We are actully south of the cities so we can shave a little more drive time off!!

I did a quick mapquest search the other day and found the times to be about the same as you ( minus the time for St. Paul).. Still a long drive but the beauty part is we could leave FRiday take our time to drive sail from 10/17-21 and have the weekend to drive back. Granted I'd rather fly but I will do what I have to do to feed my addiction.

Our first 2 cruises were in August and during each one we experienced some choppy seas due to hurricanes out in the open waters. Since then we have basically cruised in October and have had no issues at all. Hurricane Rita in 2005 was the only one that affected us and that was only because we were planning to stay in South Beach for a few days after our San Juan cruise. It is such a hit or miss proposition with hurricanes that I honestly don't think you should sweat it.

Since we live in Pennsylvania, we prefer to go as far south as possible on our late October cruises, which means flying to San Juan for the Southern Caribbean itinerary. This coming year we're sailing from Tampa on the Legend on Oct 30 for halloween.

Yes, we are price conscious. Since we are at the mercy of my monthly financial meetings at work, we usually have a 2 1/2 week window in October to cruise. I will search out the cheapest cruise(s) in that time frame prior to turning in our vacation schedules and let my DW decide which one she wants to take.

We cruise in October almost every year. The prices are good and we've been lucky to avoid hurricanes. Of course, we cruise for the ship not so much the destination, so if we miss a port it doesn't really bother us ;)

We are looking at

Imagination 4 day

Sensation 4 day

Destiny 5 day

Inspiration 5 day

Ecstasy 5 day

Fascination 5 day

Fantasy 5 day

I really like the Tampa cruise but it's a 23 hour drive. But the price is right and the ports are nice.

Maybe flights won't be bad/ But I still need to save enough $$$ for a winter cruise. I need to move near a port!

This post october we drove to Miami from KY (about 19 hours with food and gas stops) drove it down in two days, and by the time we got off the cruise, I was so ready to be home (my two kids, plus DD best friend went too), I drove it straight back in one day... :eek:

but its part of the vacation....if you think about it...your spending 40 hours in the car... for a 4 day cruise... I would double check gas prices, figure out your fuel cost and see if it would be worth it just to pay a little extra and fly somewhere to port...

We usually do February and October out of Galveston because it is only a 4 hr drive for us. Both months are cheap. We have never had a hurricane issue on any of our 5 hurricane season cruises but have had fog delays on both of our Feb-April cruises.

Two things should convince your DH...

October is cheap and

Nothing beats a cruise.

Both of our cruises were in October we had great weather and loved the ports. If you plan on doing mid October the storms are fewer but you can still run into some "H" storms. I have seen them as early as June and thought there was one late November last year. We did the Western Carb, We like the first one so much we booked the same cruise 2 yrs later. I think I could do it for the 3rd time aslo there are so many things to do and see in every port. Good luck with your planning your cruise.

Mike

We did a 4 day cruise from Miami last October. Was also our 2nd cruise of the year. Booked just a few months out, got a great rate of $169 pp, inside. We did go to Key West, but were re-routed to Nassau, since Hurricane Paula was heading towards Cozumel, our original destination. Be aware when choosing a departure port that on most of the 4-5 night cruises ships from Charleston, Jacksonville, Mobile and Canaveral do not have any where else to go if re-routed due to a storm. We choose Miami since we knew if there was a storm in the Gulf we would re-route to the Bahamas and if we had been headed to the Bahamas and a storm was in the Atlantic, we could re-route to destinations in the Gulf. Just something to think about when choosing your cruise.

Archived