Two Way Radio with Text?

Atty

Hi All:

My DW and I are taking our DDs on a short cruise (will be my 7 year old's first and 10 year old's second).

My DW and I have two way radios we've tried using on prior cruises without success between ourselves as it was always difficult to hear the radio unless you had it out and were carrying it around. My question is whether anyone knows of two way radios that also have a text messaging capability. I would like something so that my DDs can use them to reach us via voice or text if they are in the kids program and they need something etc. or if we are ashore and my wife has one girl and I have the other and we split up.

Thanks.

Hi All:

My DW and I are taking our DDs on a short cruise (will be my 7 year old's first and 10 year old's second).

My DW and I have two way radios we've tried using on prior cruises without success between ourselves as it was always difficult to hear the radio unless you had it out and were carrying it around. My question is whether anyone knows of two way radios that also have a text messaging capability. I would like something so that my DDs can use them to reach us via voice or text if they are in the kids program and they need something etc. or if we are ashore and my wife has one girl and I have the other and we split up.

Thanks.

These FRS radios do not have text capabilities.

Hi All:

Just because a radio-transmitter is legal in the USA; it may not be legal in other countries. For example in the UK the frequencies used by FRS/GMRS radios from teh USA are the same frequencies used by emergency services (firefighters etc). Stomping on their traffic ranges from a bad idea to highly illegal.

Even between the USA and Canada the rules are slightly different, where the maximum power on GMRS is less in Canada than the USA (2W vs 5W)

Post it notes in the room; or just call your room and leave a voice mail (which can also be picked up from any ship's phone) are the way to go.

We got some a few years back for our cruises with our kids...the texting is awesome for when you're on the ship and it's hard to hear. We also found that in the parts of the ship where you couldn't get through to someone on the regular voice talk the texting still worked! I can't remember right now the brand type we purchased...sorry! :)

Archived