Cabo / Mexico - still relatively safe for cruisers?

Luv2Travelnow

This local article is rather chilling: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/03/08/20110308mexico-missing.html

It is tragic how dangerous it has become in many parts of Mexico.

I'm not *too* worried about my Spirit's two days in Cabo...but reading these articles do not help.

Anyone else have any concerns at all? I hear Cabo is super safe because it has only one road in / out, and there are lots of police and military there... last year there were a lot of military and police driving around town as well.

Also - on our last cruise the cruise director warned us not to private hire the glass-bottom boats, instead urging us to pay the excursions with "official" boats instead. We ended up going safely on a private glass bottom boat and were fine, but were wondering if anything bad happened before... anyone know??

I follow reports from throughout Mexico closely - from many sources. What I've learned by visiting Bajia California Sur and from reading reports of others who are there or who have recently traveled there, is that Cabo San Lucas and the vicinity is considered one of the safer parts of Mexico at the moment - as regards the war and terrorist activities.

That's a part of Mexico not valuable to the drug cartels in the sense that it's not a major transit point for narcotic shipments on their way to the USA and, therefore, there's no 'turf war' between terrorists who claim control of the area.

Some of the resorts in that area regularly attract the 'rich and beautiful' folks from Hollywood, and elsewhere in Canada and the USA - and they offer a high-level of private protection for their properties - choosing not to solicit the help of the Mexican police which are generally considered distrustful.

So, if this were my cruise and my port of call I wouldn't be hesitant at all to wander about the area or use any of the excursion and tourism-related services.

Thanks for the info! Reading the news can make one paranoid!

The news article you linked has no reference or relationship to Cabo San Lucas or the state of Baja California Sur, unless I've missed it. So, I don't think you should worry about what was written.

The basis of the story seems to be very accurate, from what I know about what's happening in some other parts of the country, however. It's so very sad.

Most of what's happening in the country - relative to the war and terrorism - isn't reported in the media. And while it can cause concern to read the occassional reports I think it's important to keep as up-to-date as reasonably possible.

22.4 Million people visited Mexico in 2010 without incident. This is up 5.3% from 2009, and even surpasses 2008, which was the previous best year for tourism in Mexico (22 Million visitors).

Overall tourism revenue last year was up 5.3% over 2009, and revenue from cruise ship passengers was up 20%.

Stopover tourists in non-border areas spent 8.5% more than in 2009.

The number of non-border tourists rose 8.4% over 2009.

Consider how many tourists you've heard of that have had any issues at all vs. the sheer volume of people visiting Mexico. Given the numbers above, clearly not everyone is concerned about gang violence almost always far removed from tourist areas, as they are not in LA, Miami or other tourist destinations in the US with gang problems, or other gang territories like Jamaica and Nassau.

Good to stay informed, but you have to take in the big picture and not focus on a single headline from an area far far removed from anywhere you'll be. If you do that, you'll be afraid to leave your own house, let alone travel.

JUST got back this past Saturday. NO PROBLEMS at all! Hired private glass bottom boat to go to Archs and second day family members hired water taxi (both in Cabo) and were fine! Never felt unsafe anywhere we went. (except when I walked 8 block to the wrong section of town in LA) haha

You should not have any problems at all. Unless of course you plan on buying or distributing large amounts of drugs:) In all reality, with the millions of visitors each year, there is very very very FEW incidents that happen to tourist in Mexico. Cabo is VERY safe- as well as Puerto Vallarta. Go, have fun! Explore!

Mexico handles car accidents in a different way. If you're involved in an accident you wait at the scene for the insurance adjustor to show up and the matter is resolved there. If you do not have insurance and you can not work out a deal with the other driver at the scene to cover the damages you go to jail. The best and easiest way to avoid this is to pay the extra money for insurance when you rent the car.

I wish accidents were handled the same way in the states.

Archived