S. Caribbean Thoughts - Carnival Freedom vs AOS

I am also posting this on the Carbival board...

n celebration of my birthday, my husband and I have been looking at Southern Caribbean cruises in December, and have it down to two.

8-nt Carnival Freedom: Leaves from Ft. Lauderdale, goes to Tortola, Antigua, Nassau, San Juan, St Thomas, and basically has 3 sea days (it doesn't dock in San Juan until 5pm).

7-nt AOS: Leaves from San Juan, goes to Barbados, St. Lucia, St. John's, St. Marteen, and St Croix, and it has one sea day.

We enjoy sea days to just relax, spend some time on the ship, and not always feel rushed to get off the ship.

We like both lines, have already sailed on both classes of ship, and the cost of the cabin is about the same.

Carnival

Positives: We know the port in FL, it's 8 nights, has sea days.

Negatives: Tortola and Antigua are the only new ports.

AOS

Positives: Prefer the itinerary. St. Marteen is the only port I have been to.

Negatives: Only one sea day. Do not know the port (do know the city though).

Although I prefer the itinerary on the AOS, I wouldn't have a problem with the one on the Freedom.

I also know that ports are never guaranteed, so while I may be disappointed that the AOS missed a port, it would definately not ruin my cruise.

Any thoughts on Tortola and Antigua? How about the ports for AOS?

Also, for those that have already been on this AOS itinerary....did you feel like you were always on the go/rushed, and didn't have time to relax?

Can't address AOS exactly and our Serenade itinerary was somewhat different but some observations...

1. Our itinerary was VERY rushed on Serenade. By the time we got to Barbados (last stop before the one and only sea day) we gave up and headed for the closest beach to the port and just sat looking at the water. Everywhere else it was time pressure to get off the ship and do excursions. Then back on ship and prepare for dinner (MTD but we set it at 6:30 every night). Then rush to theater for show. We found out just how much we missed the sea days that our next will be another TA with seven days in a row - nine in all.

2. Tortolla was nice but highlight was going over to Virgin Gorda and the beach at The Baths. Very interesting place. Downside ot that was the long ferry ride.

3. Since you like both lines the style difference is not an issue but could factor in to specific interests and desired activities since it is a birthday celebration.

4. San Juan is a very nice place to sail from except that the Pan Am pier is across the harbor from Old San Juan. Still very easy to get to via the multitude of taxis. Pre-cruise hotel options are nice depending on budget. We went down a couple days early and rented a car to go exploring (Arecibo Observatory and Rio Camuy Caves). Getting out of San Juan was a great way to see the real Puerto Rico. If Freedom stops that late that makes excursions out of town not possible. On other hand if it docks at OSJ piers everything there is just a walk away.

5. FLL can be cool in December whereas SJ stays about the same all the time. Better for pre-cruise day. If AOS sails late like Serenade did (8:30pm) then it gives most of the day for beach time - or board at noon and treat it like a sea day at the dock.

I have never been on Carnival so I can't speak about their ships, but you mentioned liking sea days. On AOS you said you had only been to St. Marteen. You could just stay on the ship and treat that as another sea day and would have a lot less people to deal with while most of the passengers are ashore.

Gregg

Since you have been on both Carnival & RC before, and like them both, and the price is about the same for both cruises, I would go on the Carnival Freedom. Main reason is you will get 1 extra day on the ship for about the same price. More days on the ship for same amount of money, to me, is a no brainer.

For the Ports, Tortola, I would second the Baths in Virgin Gorda. A great place to visit. In Antigua, they have many great beaches to visit (we love the beach), or there is some great shopping, and they have a great flea market area not far from the dock area. Very easy to walk to.

Either cruise will be a great one.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, and ideas for the ports.

We will most likely do the Freedom since we do have the sea days and some ports we have never been to. We'll just have to plan another cruise soon going to some of the ports the Adventure has.

1. Our itinerary was VERY rushed on Serenade. By the time we got to Barbados (last stop before the one and only sea day) we gave up and headed for the closest beach to the port and just sat looking at the water. Everywhere else it was time pressure to get off the ship and do excursions. Then back on ship and prepare for dinner (MTD but we set it at 6:30 every night). Then rush to theater for show. We found out just how much we missed the sea days that our next will be another TA with seven days in a row - nine in all.

That's exactly what we were/are afraid of. Nothing like going on a vacation to get away and relax...only to end up rushing most of the time. We did one TA and I must say the sea days were wonderful. :)

Since you have been on both Carnival & RC before, and like them both, and the price is about the same for both cruises, I would go on the Carnival Freedom. Main reason is you will get 1 extra day on the ship for about the same price. More days on the ship for same amount of money, to me, is a no brainer.

Either cruise will be a great one.

That was another one of our thoughts (especially my husband's)

Archived