2-10 pm port time in PR, what to do?

Denise&Paul STL

We are on a Celebrity ship arriving from 2 pm to 10 pm in Puerto Rico. We are nature lovers, and would love to scuba, snorkel, and/or visit El Yunque again. Last time, we went with the ship tour of El Yunque, and between the drive and stops, we only had 30 minutes to actually walk a trail in the forest, and I would like more time than that if we were to do it.

Am open to suggestions that are reasonably cheap - budgetqueen, we need you!

The times make any nature tour tough b/c you only have a few hours of day light. I'd probably take a tour of the fort (there is a small admissions fee); walk alomg the sea wall path yourselves; it's free. If you really like nature you will love this. I don't particularly like spiders but there are these really cool spiders that seriously bend their legs & bodies to look like Xs in their webs. They are everywhere in the brush along the path. There are also dozens of feral cats who live there & run & play. They are fun to watch but there are lots of signs cautioning against feeding them.

I kind of found it by accident but here's what I remember . . . . from the pier, I walked left toward a square. There were lots of vendors, a few kiosk's & a huge fountain. I walked around the fountain to the point on the other side from where I started & then saw the wall / path that was made from the same stones as the fort it was ahead of me to the right. I just walked. It's paved / concrete so it's very easy.

Not sure when you're going, but if it's hot that hike around the fort is like walking on the sun..... black rock, baking sun, and the day we did it the fort blocked any breeze.

I think the feral cats dine on the unsuspecting tourists who give up all hope of making it back to ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a free walking tour on Frommer.com and I saw that San Cristobel has a show at 6 pm, plus free dance lessons at Latin Roots, all supposedly walking distance from the port. I also may take a cab to Condado Beach from what I read it might be a nice place to stop for awhile and check out the El San Juan Hotel, which I heard is worth a stop. Thanks for the suggestions.

I found a free walking tour on Frommer.com and I saw that San Cristobel has a show at 6 pm, plus free dance lessons at Latin Roots, all supposedly walking distance from the port. I also may take a cab to Condado Beach from what I read it might be a nice place to stop for awhile and check out the El San Juan Hotel, which I heard is worth a stop. Thanks for the suggestions.

Aren't you in SJ on a Monday?

The dance show at Fort San Cristobal is on Tuesday only.

Aren't you in SJ on a Monday?

The dance show at Fort San Cristobal is on Tuesday only.

Thanks for the info Rainforest Girl. Not sure where you saw I was there on Monday, but it is on a Tuesday. Still wishing I could find a way into the rainforest with time to tour, we absolutely loved it. We are uncomfortable driving. I read on these boards that they closed at 5, but saw on another website they are open until 6. If we took a cab up there, and had it meet us again afterwards, any idea what that would cost, and if there would be time to explore on our own? Would much prefer a tour, but can't find anything.

Still wishing I could find a way into the rainforest with time to tour, we absolutely loved it. We are uncomfortable driving. I read on these boards that they closed at 5, but saw on another website they are open until 6. If we took a cab up there, and had it meet us again afterwards, any idea what that would cost, and if there would be time to explore on our own? Would much prefer a tour, but can't find anything.

This tour guide was recommended on my cruise thread:

Albert Aguirre

Tour Guide

* City Tours

* Bacardi Tours

* Rainforest Tours

* Surfing Tours

787-317-6907

surfcabs@yahoo.com

Thanks for the info Rainforest Girl. Not sure where you saw I was there on Monday, but it is on a Tuesday. Still wishing I could find a way into the rainforest with time to tour, we absolutely loved it. We are uncomfortable driving. I read on these boards that they closed at 5, but saw on another website they are open until 6. If we took a cab up there, and had it meet us again afterwards, any idea what that would cost, and if there would be time to explore on our own? Would much prefer a tour, but can't find anything.

Rain forest gates close at 6pm.

Once you get off the ship, there will be lots of tour drivers going to the rain forest. But it is a group tour,you can't go off and explore on your own.

Do a search on CC (just to the right of the Cruise forum blue line ) for "tour guides". You will find lots recommendations for guides for private tours.

Forget the cab- they can only drop you off at El Portal. There is only 1 short trail there. All the other trails are up too far to walk to.

• 3 months later...
Thank you all again for your suggestions. I took the Walking Tour and very much enjoyed it. We also took the trolley from El Morro to San Cristobel and watched the Tuesday night show. Great time in Puerto Rico. Thanks!

Yea! I am glad you had a great time. And afternoon/evening port stop takes some planning, but it PR really can be great after dark too.

Archived