Magnifica delayed disembarkation in Venice?

OD2

Help! There have been several posts indicating that disembarkation in Venice is very delayed. One person complained that he couldn't get off until after 10 a.m.

So I had my TA phone MSC in the US and ask if this was true, and she was told at NO-ONE could get off before NOON in Venice at the end of the Magnifica cruise! Who can tell me what time we can get off? How can this be true! If we just handle our own luggage can we get off sooner than noon????

This concerns me because we have a private tour of Venice booked at the end of the cruise, and we only have a few hours before going to the airport.

We hope to not have to cancel our tour!

No one gets off a cruise ship coming from foreign waters until the local port authorities and police are ready to receive. If passengers are delayed in disembarkation it's rarely the fault of the cruise line. The manifest and each passport have to be checked by immigration and if you've got 4000 passengers aboard it will take a little time.

In my experience of Med cruises, with a docking time of 9am, I'd not expect anyone to get off the ship until after 19am at the earliest. As a foreign national, you are also going to have to go and collect your passports 9and you may have to wait in a line to get them).

there has never been an option to take your luggage off yourself on any European crusie that I've been on with MSC (this is only available on US sailings).

You can ask to go in the first group to get off the ship but they will give priority to those who have booked their shore excursions and those who have transfers for early flights.

MCS USA is playing it safe by telling you noon, as it will take that lond for everyone to get off the ship. I certainly would not plan on being able to get off before 11am. You could be lucky and get off a bit before then but likewise the authorities may take ages to clear the ship.

What time is your flight booked for? If it is earlier than 3pm, then you really don't have time for any kind of tour, even a quick one. the last time I docked at venice, MSC would only allow people with a flight after 5pm do their disembarkation tour.

getting around in venice is not quick, especially with luggage.

Just returned from a Western Med cruise on the Magnifica last Tuesday 8th March. Two nights before we arrived in Venice each cabin was given coloured tags for their luggage which had to be left out before 2am. A list of instructions was also circulated to cabins indicating where each colour should meet in a designated area. Passengers would then be called off the ship according to the colour of the tags. We had to be out of our cabins by 7.30am. I was Pink 2 and we were called off the ship at around 9am. Our luggage was waiting outside in the terminal and was easily found. The night before we arrived in Venice I asked at the Reception desk if they could give me any indication of what time our colour would be called to disembark and was told it would be around 8.30am which wasn't too far off the mark. So when we left our cabin at 7.30am we went to the dining room and had a relaxing breakfast. I found the process quite orderly actually! I'm sure if you asked at reception your luggage could be taken off the ship with one of the earlier groups. I know however some groups were due to disembark after 10am which was certainly an hour or so after our time. Hope this info helps!

Just returned from a Western Med cruise on the Magnifica last Tuesday 8th March. Two nights before we arrived in Venice each cabin was given coloured tags for their luggage which had to be left out before 2am. A list of instructions was also circulated to cabins indicating where each colour should meet in a designated area. Passengers would then be called off the ship according to the colour of the tags. We had to be out of our cabins by 7.30am. I was Pink 2 and we were called off the ship at around 9am. Our luggage was waiting outside in the terminal and was easily found. The night before we arrived in Venice I asked at the Reception desk if they could give me any indication of what time our colour would be called to disembark and was told it would be around 8.30am which wasn't too far off the mark. So when we left our cabin at 7.30am we went to the dining room and had a relaxing breakfast. I found the process quite orderly actually! I'm sure if you asked at reception your luggage could be taken off the ship with one of the earlier groups. I know however some groups were due to disembark after 10am which was certainly an hour or so after our time. Hope this info helps!

found same as above post to be true on eastern Med. cruise Feb. 28 disembarkation: VERY quick and easy. out of stateroom at 7:45am, as required, barely got to meeting area for our group (we were in first group called, not because we had an early flight or tour but simply due to booking agency we booked the cruise with). off-ship and claimed luggage around 8am. got private water taxi and were at hotel before 9am! friends with us who used same online booking agency had similar experience. they took free shuttle bus to Piazzale Roma and were at their hotel even earllier. later groups (probably 3rd-4th and after) were not nearly as fast, as we found out later. key is to try and get in first group called off-ship, so that your luggage is tagged that way. othewise, you could probably just proceed off ship with first group called, but if your luggage is not tagged accordingly, you may have to wait in terminal for your bags, as we did see that bags were still being sorted for later groups. if you carry off your own luggage, that won't be an issue - and I never heard anythihg about not being able to do that.

I'll repeat it again. If there's a DELAY, it will be caused by slow immigration check of manifest and passports. If the police come on board immediately, everything can be done in a speedy manner and the first group(s) can disembark within an hour after arrival. If you have a valid reason to disembark with the first groups make sure the Reception Office knows the day prior.

A year ago, we disembarked quickly and easily. We had a relatively early flight and advised guest relations (who provided early debark tags). We were out, quickly, easily (and at the airport) with plenty of time to spare... This was opposite of embark.

Capri is generally correct, debarking passengers is typicallt very systematic and punctual for ship crew. Regardless of port, delays are normally attributable to customs and immigration.

Just got off on the 16th with Robb (hey!)

Poppy1010 describes the procedure exactly. We wanted to get off early and had no problem walking off with our own luggage at 7.30. We were the first on the bus to Piazzale Roma, which then waited for some of the first group to board before departing. We were in Piazzale Roma around 8.00.

Just inform the cabin steward that you will not be leaving your bags out the night before.

Have a great cruise!

Archived