Azamara Quest 5/2 from HK - bronchial infection

toby27

I have taken multiple land vacations all over Asia. I get sick every time I go there. I just expect it and pack lots of drugs. The only Asian country with decent food preparation and hygiene is Japan.

I have been all over Asia, and even lived in Thailand, and I have never gotten sick.

If it was more than 50% wouldn't the Captain/Cruise Director/Doctor have to announce this (Noro) and also explain the precautions that were being taken (salt and pepper removed from the tables?) vs. remaining hush hush?

Let's not confuse bronchial and cold symptoms with norovirus which is gatrointestinal.

There was no outbreak of norovirus on the March 17th cruise, which the Captain attributed to the assiduous hand wahing of all aboard.

Perhaps the spread of illness was exacerbated by the fact that it was not a cruise where use could be made of outdoor areas so we were in closer contact with one another than might usually have been the case.

I hope for a speedy recovery of those who were sick, and hope that the great parts of the holiday, and of the interesting ports, are what linger lonest in people's memories.

Cheers,

Sue

PS Miriam, wasn't it fun having one's own paparazzi clamouring for photos!

I thought I would throw my two cents in...

We were a group of 6 on the same cruise as the OP ( Feb 5). We were all healthy when we boarded and 5 were healthy when we departed. One of our group did catch a cold, but we attributed that to the person in the elevator that was sneezing and chose not cover their mouth/nose. When we checked in for the cruise, it was quite obvious that the person in line behind me had a cold. People catch colds, especially when travelling.

The crew and Azamara cannot stop colds and from what I saw, there was nothing different or better that they could have done. The Cabin Stewards were excellent and kept our cabin scrubbed and clean. Everywhere we went, we saw crew members cleaning and disinfecting. It is awful when you catch a bug on vacation, but it happens.

I have been home now for a month and a half and just picked up a bronchial infection a few days ago. It is going around where I work. :(

After 3 different Anitbiotics we've finally got it licked. The first leg from Hong Kong to Shanghai was OK, don't recall any sickness, it was the last leg Shanghai to Hong Kong about 4 days to the end that we picked it up.

There were so many people sick with this same thing, hard to avioid it. Don't belive Azamara didn't do their job, its human nature for people not to seek medical attention on a ship and to report they have a virus. Again I'll repeat on the flight home from Hong Kong to LAX, the plane sounded like an emergency ward. This infection was a tough one, so it wasn't just an Azamara problem. Talked to a passenger from the Regents,Line who came into Hong Kong the same night we did, his ship was full of it as well and he had it as bad as we did

HI Mitch, sorry to hear of your Virus..we boarded the Regent's Voyager in Hong Kong on 30 March and learned some pax indeed caught the virus. Did see the Quest berthed in front of us at the Ocean Terminal in HK.

Thanks Wes. The Human imune system is often a puzzle to me. How one can pick up a Virus and your mate doesn't and yet you were both exposed to it is a mystery. Our Lung Dr tried to explain to us in Laymans terms, but I am still somewhat confused. He did say this type of Virus is Airborne as well, so I suspect many of you were exposed, but just fought it off naturally. Good for all of you who have mentioned you were on the same cruise and didn't become ill, I dont wish this on anyone. I don't know what the Quest could have done to surpress it, guess over a period of time, it will have run its course.

Sheila and I took Cipro and Augminton w/us, neither worked, when our Lung Dr put us on"Clarithromycin 500 mg", it did the trick, but took the full ten days of medication to finally clear it up. We had a great trip, meant some extroidinary people and now have many new cruising friends. Anytime you travel w/large numbers of people you take your chances, guess we were just dealt a bad hand on this one.

Mitch and Sheila:)

Thanks Wes. The Human imune system is often a puzzle to me. How one can pick up a Virus and your mate doesn't and yet you were both exposed to it is a mystery.
Just trying to surmise what we have picked up from the web. There are some 200+ known "cold" viruses (not "flu", which are typically larger and more serious viruses). People who have been exposed to a given virus before are immune to it to certain degrees. (Husbands and wives may have been infected by different viruses before). Some people's genetic make-ups make them more prone to some viruses and not others (different animals are susceptible to different viruses). The effectiveness of different individuals' immune system may be different (and those with stronger immune systems are not necessarily better off, often it is the over-reaction caused by strong immune systems that causes the worst symptoms). So it is a complicated situation.

Viruses can be the worst agents in life, they probably lead to the greatest variety of diseases (including some heart diseases and many forms of cancer). Catching a virulent virus is like having a "monkey wrench" thrown into your cells' genes, and a main cause of mutation. While viruses (through causing mutations) can be an agent hastening evolution, they can be most harmful to already existing organisms.

Is the above correct?

Archived