Getting to airport from Civitavecchia - please advise

jeanniedc

Our 10 day Eastern Med. cruise on the Equinox gets us back to Civitavecchia on a Monday (8/8/11), supposedly at 4:30 AM (per website). The only nonstop flight back to our area in the US leaves Rome (FCO) at 11:10 AM. Is it impossible for me to think we can make that flight? We can go the next day, but we'd rather not. We have a concierge class room, so I guess that is supposed to help us with disembarkation... Thanks!!

We are on a similar cruise that arrives 4.30am (October 10th) and I have been told on the forums that anything after an 11am flight should be ok.

The Celebrity website says not to make connection bookings prior to 10.30am.

If necessary you can use self-disembarkation to get off even earlier.

It is suggested that you pre-book your transport and many people here recommend Rome Cabs as a good, reliable service.

Cheers, Graham :)

Our 10 day Eastern Med. cruise on the Equinox gets us back to Civitavecchia on a Monday (8/8/11), supposedly at 4:30 AM (per website). The only nonstop flight back to our area in the US leaves Rome (FCO) at 11:10 AM. Is it impossible for me to think we can make that flight? We can go the next day, but we'd rather not. We have a concierge class room, so I guess that is supposed to help us with disembarkation... Thanks!!

It depends on what airline you are on and how early you are allowed to disembark. I am very doubtful that you could make any flight earlier than noon. This is a company that does ground transportation from the port to the airport in Rome - I suggest you contact them and ask:

1. What time are passengers typically allowed to disembark at the port.

2. How long does it take to drive to the airport in Rome.

http://www.airportconnection.it/civitavecchia_ground_transportation.html

Next, check with your airline's website to see how far in advance you must be at the airport for an internatinal flight. Some companies require 2 hours and some require 3 hours. So, you either need to be at the airport at 9am or 8am - this is why I am so doubtful that you will be able to disembark in time to make your flight.

IMO, I'd spend the night in Rome - maybe take an evening tour - they are fabulous and what better time to have some amazing food! Then fly out the next morning.

You should be fine. We made a 10:30 AM flight out of FCO. Rome Cabs were waiting for us as soon as we debarked and drove us straight to the airport -- no problems. Of course, we made arrangements with Rome Cabs ahead of time and was one of the first groups off the ship.

We have an 11am flight to Tel Aviv on 8/8 so we'll also be heading off early - share transportation? Have you logged on the Roll Call for our adventure?

Jack n Amy

We are on a similar cruise that arrives 4.30am (October 10th) and I have been told on the forums that anything after an 11am flight should be ok.

The Celebrity website says not to make connection bookings prior to 10.30am.

If necessary you can use self-disembarkation to get off even earlier.

It is suggested that you pre-book your transport and many people here recommend Rome Cabs as a good, reliable service.

Cheers, Graham :)

We have taken an 11:00 AM flight from Rome twice and had no problem getting to the airport from Civitavecchia in time. (It is about a 45 minute drive.) In both cases we used the cruise line bus transportation because they are reliable and make every effort to get their clients off the ship in a timely fashion and to the airport in time. They put all the luggage for the group in one place so it is not hard to find. Last May we arrived at the airport before 8:00 AM. This is not the cheapest way to go but reliability is important when catching an early flight.

The only problem could arise if the ship is unexpectedly delayed or there is an accident or something blocking traffic. An extra night in Rome is very expensive and your trip insurance would likely cover a delay if you missed the flight due to no fault of your own.

Archived