Rome to Venice

We will be taking the train from Rome to Venice to catch the Grand Princess on July 25. We did this once in the opposite direction a few years ago, and it was easiest to use a cab from the pier to the train station before the city - I think it's Maestre? I'm thinking that we will be able to get a cab from there to the pier?

If anyone has any advice on researching this or setting it up, I'd appreciate it. We will be in Rome for 3 days so plan to buy train tickets there.

Thanks!

We will be taking the train from Rome to Venice to catch the Grand Princess on July 25. We did this once in the opposite direction a few years ago, and it was easiest to use a cab from the pier to the train station before the city - I think it's Maestre? I'm thinking that we will be able to get a cab from there to the pier?

If anyone has any advice on researching this or setting it up, I'd appreciate it. We will be in Rome for 3 days so plan to buy train tickets there.

Thanks!

I think the station you want to arrive at is the Santa Lucia station and there you can get to the pier by cab I assume or water taxi.The Mestre is the stop before you arrive at the end of the line in Venice so to speak. I have not cruised from Venice only travel there by train,but did see the ships in at port and cabs so you should be fine.

Although I've never done it, I am planning to do the same thing in Oct.

One of the CC posters said to get off at the Maestre station. (You can probably find this info in a thread a month or two back. I've since found this site. http://www.venice-limousine.com/venice_limousine_articles.html

I am not recommending this company, they may be fine, but they reiterate the information that for a simple land transfer, without needing boat transfers you should not continue on to Santa Lucia Station.

Let me know if you get any additional information about the transfers on both ends.

Ellen

Thanks for your responses. Yes, we want to avoid the water taxis and dragging luggage over bridges if possible!

Ellen, let's keep each other informed when/if we find out more.

Lynn

Hi Lynn and Ellen,

I have been researching the same transfer for October cruise. I have found that the train is approx 5.25 hrs duration for around 80Euros (!st calss recommended in guide books), while the flight is 1.25 hrs for 130E. Can anyone recommend which is the better way to go. Get there quicker by plane, or view the scenery with easier to access train. Thanks. Tricia

Stop at the railway station "Venezia Mestre". Just in front find the taxi station: in 15 minutes you'll reach the pier (remember to tell the taxi driver which is the name of your ship, as there are two piers in Venice: San Basilio and Marittima).

Great, thanks -- that's just what I needed to know.

We're in the process of booking the Cesari for the Rome hotel, and will keep looking for something less expensive in that part of the city, but I don't think we'll find it. Lucky I enjoy the planning!

Help!!

We need to go from Rome to Venice in October and are considering flying or taking the train. In terms of the train, we're thinking of the Eurostar Italia in first class. My question has to do with where to place the luggage. Does anyone know if this train has compartiments for first class or regular seats? In any event, what does one do with all the luggage (specially with as much as one carries when going on a cruise)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Help!!

We need to go from Rome to Venice in October and are considering flying or taking the train. In terms of the train, we're thinking of the Eurostar Italia in first class. My question has to do with where to place the luggage. Does anyone know if this train has compartiments for first class or regular seats? In any event, what does one do with all the luggage (specially with as much as one carries when going on a cruise)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I took the Eurostar first class to Venice this past Sept.There is a place at the end of the car to place your luggage,but it is not a large area.I ran a cable with a lock through the luggage so it was tied together although I did keep my carryon with me in the seat.A lot of others I noticed kept going back to make sure their luggage was ok.It was.There is room over the seats for smaller pieces of luggage as well.The first class compartment was roomy as trains go,and worth the money IMHO.

BTW, would someone please tell me why Mestre and not S.Lucia for the port re the cruise ships...why the extra expense for a longer cab ride???Thanx.

From Mestre to the port you take a land taxi, from Santa Lucia to the port a water taxi.

The land taxi is much much cheaper than the water taxi..........

Thank you. I knw water taxis's are $$$ as we used them. I was under the impression that you could use a land taxi from S.Lucia as well to the port.

Venice Santa Lucia Station does not have vehicular access with Piazzale Roma being the nearest area to get a cab which means taking your luggage out of the station and over a couple of bridges.Venice Mestre Station has direct vehicular access to the cruise terminal and there is not much extra cost.

Venice Santa Lucia Station does not have vehicular access with Piazzale Roma being the nearest area to get a cab which means taking your luggage out of the station and over a couple of bridges.Venice Mestre Station has direct vehicular access to the cruise terminal and there is not much extra cost.

Thank you.It's always nice to learn something new.I appreciate it.

Rolando,

We had the same challenges having 9 medium suitcases and 4 carry ons with us (for just 3 women and one teenage girl travelling in the Med last Summer...We had to call for a porter to help us with the luggage (they were available at the Venice train station, but they might have it also in Rome)...He loaded all these suitcases on a huge metal wheeler, took us and our luggages to the right compartment of the train (first class section), then unloaded them to a designated small cabin area separating the first from the second class cabins. When we arrived Milan, we had to unload the luggages ourselves quickly before the train leaves again...There was not enough time to look for a porter there! So, Be Prepared...And luckily one water taxi was enough to fit us and our luggages for our trip from Hotel Gritti Palace to the Venice train station...

Have fun,

Kim

BTW, how do you manage to go on 4-5 cruises a year like that???...I get cruise withdrawal after a few months, but unfortunately cannot just leave our business! The cost of the potential loss of income for us is about 10X the cost of a week of vacation!

Archived