Liquor Amount Allowed

KevinsCruising

had the same issue with cigs from the ship....the rule is you can't bring back more than one carton of cigs that was made in the US and sent overseas. You can bring back as many as you want if they are made overseas(if you pay the excise tax..)...but the clerk told the passenger in front of me to declare them. The rule is the rule on any given day they may or may not enforce the rule...

Does Anyone Know what the Tax is for the extra cartons of cigarettes, doing this same Itin. from NY/Fla/Bahamas. Thanks.:)

Does Anyone Know what the Tax is for the extra cartons of cigarettes, doing this same Itin. from NY/Fla/Bahamas. Thanks.:)

On April 1, 2009, the largest federal cigarette excise tax increase in history went into effect, bringing the combined federal and average state excise tax for cigarettes to $2.21 per pack and achieving the Healthy People 2010 (HP2010) objective (27-21a) to increase the combined federal and average state cigarette excise tax to at least $2 per pack (1). This report summarizes changes in the federal excise tax, as well as state excise taxes for all 50 states and the District of Columbia (DC) from December 31, 1995 to April 1, 2009.* The findings indicate that the federal excise tax increased from 24 cents per pack in 1995 to $1.01 per pack in 2009, and the average state excise tax increased from 32.7 cents per pack to $1.20 per pack during the same period.† These increases represent a 321% increase in the federal excise tax and a 267% increase in the average state excise tax since 1995. Price increases should be combined with other evidence-based policy and clinical interventions to meet HP2010 objectives to decrease smoking prevalence and reduce the burden from smoking-attributable death and disease.

Cigarettes and other tobacco products are taxed by federal, state, and local governments in various ways, including excise taxes, which are levied per unit, such as per pack of 20 cigarettes (2). Federal and state excise tax rates are set by legislation, are contained in federal and state statutes, and typically are collected before the point of sale (i.e., from manufacturers, wholesalers, or distributors), as denoted by a tax stamp.

Federal excise tax data were obtained from an online database that contains statutes and other legislation. From December 31, 2005, to April 1, 2009, the federal excise tax on cigarettes increased three times. As a result of the 1998 budget agreement, the federal cigarette excise tax made a graduated increase from 24 cents per pack to 34 cents per pack on January 1, 2000, and then to 39 cents per pack on January 1, 2002 (2). As a funding mechanism for the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), the federal excise tax on cigarettes increased from 39 cents per pack to $1.01 cents per pack effective April 1, 2009.§ These increases resulted in a 321% overall increase in the federal cigarette excise tax since December 31, 1995 (Figure 1).

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5819a2.htm

This is from a US Government website so there is NO copyright.

its $10.10 a carton(federal excise taxes). But I remind you the technical rule is you can't reimport more than one carton of cigs made in the US. Also it is illegal to bring back cigs for others they must be for your own use. If you bring back 10 different cartons of 10 different brands you set off bells and whistle. I am told in NY they never check. So you need to not tell them about them.....

http://www.nh.gov/film/production/documents/us_customs_info.pdf

see page 10

What about St. Thomas? I've been told you are allowed 5 cartons p/p if you bought them in St. Thomas.

the person asked about NY/Florida/Bahamas/NY as I pointed out before the rule for the US insular possessions(of which St Thomas is one) allows up to 4(from the Insular possession) or 5(one from someplace else) per adult - its in the CBP Know before you go at page 15..

Do keep in mind that although they will charge you duty on any extra brought back (which they do in 99% of the cases). They do have the right to just seize them, so there is a slight risk involved in bringing more than your allotted amount back.

Although in my travels I have seen a lot of border guards threaten I have yet to see one actually follow it through. There usual comment goes something like this. Well you are only allowed... and we could just seize them but I'll be nice today and just charge you the duty.

Once when we were in Jamaica, we were told by the liquor store at the Airport that we could bring as many of the cream rums back as we wanted. We believed them and bought 4 bottles. The customs agent said they will say anything to get you to buy. He was very nice and let us go, said he was allowed so many "passes" a day. Our next cruise will work out perfect, we are bringing family that doesn't buy alcohol so they will claim whatever extra we purchase.

Why would the store employee care if the U.S. government got its cut, they probably aren't U.S. citizens anyway;)? (I know, you are comparing the smuggling off the ship with the smuggling onto the ship, but the store employee probably doesn't care about that, either.)

Agreed. But in my opinion being advised by the cruise line, on how to break the law, is far worse then someone trying to break a cruise lines policy. ;)

Agreed. But in my opinion being advised by the cruise line, on how to break the law, is far worse then someone trying to break a cruise lines policy. ;)

I doubt the store employee was quoting offical NCL policy or in any other way speaking for the company so I don't really think anyone was "advised by the cruise line", but I do agree that breaking the law is worse than breaking a policy.

I doubt the store employee was quoting offical NCL policy or in any other way speaking for the company so I don't really think anyone was "advised by the cruise line", but I do agree that breaking the law is worse than breaking a policy.

True, I am positive that the cruise line does not advise this. But, they are being represented by the person wearing the name tag with "NCL" on it, who is advising people to break the law. I did advise NCL in a letter, (without naming names) about this, so I do hope that it has stopped.

Archived