Six Hour Layover

Kissara22

We have a 6 hour layover in Honolulu on our way to and on our way back from Tahiti. I have never been to Hawai'i. Is there a snowball's chance that we can actually take a cab to waikiki and maybe have a maitai, then back to the airport in plenty of time? Just curious <crossing fingers> :D

Waikiki is 30-40 minutes away from the airport so should be no problem. With Taxi, drinks will be expensive though! ;)

gee, ..with a taxi, ..does seem a tad spendy, ..maybe just in the airport :(

I am not usually a spendthrift (and you are going to Tahiti, so it's not like you won't be getting a tropical island experience), but I'm a sucker for a good mai tai to be sipped while sitting in a beachside bar and people watching on Waikiki beach. :D It would be pretty expensive though. You could taxi to the Pearl Harbor memorial area though. If you haven't seen it, it's a very emotional experience. You couldn't do the tour, but could just look at the memorial and see the grounds. You could also go to Aloha Tower (where the ships dock), which is closer than Waikiki beach. Still, I would spend the bucks and have a drink in Waikiki.

beachchick

A cab from the airport to Aloha tower was about $20 about 2 years ago, would probably be closer to $25 to Waikiki. Of course there's always the bus at $2 pp. I'd recommend Duke's or Royal Hawaiian for a Mai Tai. Duke's seems to be the more popular one. Keep in mind that traffic between airport and Waikiki can be pretty hectic, espescially at rush hour.

Haven't had a mai tai at Duke's, but I do love the Mai Tai Bar (outside right at the beach) at the Royal Hawaiian. The mai tais are among the best I've had. I have heard that Duke's mai tais are excellent too, but if it's not outdoors, I'd choose the Royal Hawaiian over Duke's. Plus, the Royal Hawaiian has this great pink beer and the hotel itself is beautiful (and very, very pink).

My concern with the bus is that it can be very time consuming, especially (as bug_dan pointed out), during rush hour. It could easily be an hour there and an hour back by bus. Not worth it IMO. I'd rather just spend the money for a taxi for this treat.

beachchick

Archived