Appropriate tipping for R.C. short excursions

Hi! I would appreciate input on what is the appropriate tipping per person for R.C. port excursions of the half day, mid to large bus variety. We'll be doing several of these half-day excursions on our Panama Canal trip. Thanks!

You will hear a lot of differnt opinions from people here but according to Emily Post it is appropriate to tip your tour guide 15% of the tour cost for a day tour.

Even in the United States, tour guides are paid less than minimum wage, much like waiters and waitresses. In many of the poorer countries we visit they are paid even less. Tour guides depend on tips to earn a living wage.

If it's a big bus type where they are driving you from one place to another with a bit of commentary personally, I don't tip.

When we hire private guides, as we do always in Europe, we don't go by percentages - just what we feel it's worth to us.

If it's a big bus type where they are driving you from one place to another with a bit of commentary personally, I don't tip.

When we hire private guides, as we do always in Europe, we don't go by percentages - just what we feel it's worth to us.

Yes I agree with you on this one.....I have been on several trips esp in Jamaica where the tour person was distant and almost felt a sort of a hostility from them toward the tourists....These same people always expect a tip. I'll shake their hand and say thank you. On the other side I'll tip when the service warrants it.

Archived