River cruise (viking) - gay friendly?

greatphil

Have anyone found river cruising to be uncomfortable for gay couple? We would love to do one, but fear that the crowd may be too small and conservative and we won't get a table for two.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Not at all. My partner and I traveled with my parents on the Viking Century Sun in China in 2007. We were affectionately known as "the Boys" and still maintain freindships with a few of our fellow cruisers. Wonderful experience!

There was a thread on this same topic not long ago. You should look for it.

On the one "ordinary" river cruise my partner and I took we didn't have any issues, but it was quickly known about the two gay couples onboard. We were traveling with friends and relatives, so the issue of sitting with strangers didn't come up. But I don't think anyone would have minded. And we met some nice people in the lounge and on excursions.

My partner and I are about to go on our first land/river cruise (Viking China), so I guess we'll find out first hand! We haven't had any problems on ocean cruises, and I'm not expecting any here.... The closest we've come to traveling with the "demographic" group the OP described was an Elderhostel tour we did a few years ago (only about 35 people, everyone over age 55), and we had a wonderful time.

We've been on three Viking River Cruises and another in Egypt and have always had a great time with no problems and as far as we know were the only gay couple on each of them. The last one, on the Danube in November was probably the most fun we've had. Don't ask how but it just seems that we've gravitated to (and them to us) open-minded fun people on these trips and once found ended up eating with them all the time. We were also treated well by all of the crew with no issues.

We were part of a small (16 people) gay group in China that included 4 days on the Yangtze River and had a great time! We met many people outside our group and the crew never seemed to have any problems with us. ENJOY!

Thanks Turtles! Please let us know how it went!!! We would love to do a river cruise in China!

We'll report back. We booked the trip nearly a year ago, and it's now almost here. To say that we are excited is an understatement!

Have anyone found river cruising to be uncomfortable for gay couple? We would love to do one, but fear that the crowd may be too small and conservative and we won't get a table for two.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi, Greatphil: My partner and I spent four great days on the Viking Sky, sailing the Yangtze as part of a ChinaSpree tour in May 2010. Everyone we encountered was friendly and inclusive. There was another male couple on our tour as well, but all of our shipmates were so nice we didn't feel the need to hang with them exclusively. We always respect others' comfort levels...but having said that, if someone has a problem with us it's THEIR problem. The Viking Sky, BTW, was a beautiful boat and we were all catered to very well. Everyone was relaxed and in vacation mode.

• 2 weeks later...

HUbby and I did a Viking last summer on the Danube. met some great people.

I was celebrating my birthday on board and fellow passengers were fighting among themselves to be at the table with us for my celebration. So just be yourselves and you will be fine.

We have found that the sophistication of the river cruiser is a bit higher as the more you travel the more you are exposed to different cultures, lifestyles and appreciate that.

I would not hesistate to book another River Cruise.

I love cruising so much, i purchased a franchise so now i can share my love of cruising with all I come in contact with.

Rick

when are you guys travelling to China? My Partner and I are on the Roof of the World May 1 from Beijing (Same as Imperial China May4).

We are later in May. I can't believe the trip is almost here; we booked it nearly a year ago. You must be jumping out of your skin. :)

(Wish we could have added the Tibet leg, but that just wasn't in the cards for us. I hope you love it. And take good care of the Emerald for us!)

CDNBears and Turtles06, have great trips to China. We went in 2005 and Viking did a great job then. The hotels were great, food was good and organization was excellent. Please make sure to fill us in when you get back. Safe journeys!

CDNBears and Turtles06, have great trips to China. We went in 2005 and Viking did a great job then. The hotels were great, food was good and organization was excellent. Please make sure to fill us in when you get back. Safe journeys!

Thanks so much!

My partner of 34 years and I have been on 2 Viking river cruises. Both were 2 week cruises. We made a lot of friends on each cruise and were welcomed with open arms. We still keep in touch with friends we made on the cruises.

Enjoy.....Tim

We are going September 19 on the Roof of the World trip. We have also found the smaller ships generally do not present unfcomfortable atmospheres and were hoping Viking will be the same experience.

I see you've also found the main "Viking China" thread. It is a wealth of info! No need to read the whole thing (although I did, over the winter) --- start from about Jan. 2009. You'll also have the benefit of everyone going this season (though fewer people of course to Tibet).

We leave in a little more than two weeks. Got the suitcases out this weekend; the countdown has begun! :)

Thanks...and yes :O) found the main site

It is a LOT to go through but very very helpful...I will need to get the altitude sickness meds for sure!!!

Where does the "Turtles" name come from???? Galapagos by any chance?

We originally were doing the 10 nights on the River in October but my partner ended up having a business trip in Beijing in Septemer and timing worked so he can meet me in Shanghai and have 3 nights on our own before the tour starts. We are in the Park Hyatt Shanghai (nose bleed!!!!) ... but recommended by a friend who stayed tere. Soooooo...we switched from 10 nights on the river to 5 nights with the Tibet tour. Which one are you doing? I am eager to hear about the trip and whether what appears to be an a/c problem has been resolved. I must say I am a bit jealous over the 2 week countdown!!!! I still have months to go ....:(

We originally were doing the 10 nights on the River in October but my partner ended up having a business trip in Beijing in Septemer and timing worked so he can meet me in Shanghai and have 3 nights on our own before the tour starts. We are in the Park Hyatt Shanghai (nose bleed!!!!) ... but recommended by a friend who stayed tere. Soooooo...we switched from 10 nights on the river to 5 nights with the Tibet tour. Which one are you doing? I am eager to hear about the trip and whether what appears to be an a/c problem has been resolved. I must say I am a bit jealous over the 2 week countdown!!!! I still have months to go ....:(

We are going on Imperial Jewels, Beijing to Shanghai direction. (Five nights on the river, and they'd better have resolved the a/c issues! :)) We are arriving in Beijing three days early, and looking forward to having some time to see some of the things we won't see with Viking (including the Great Wall at Mutianyu) and at our own pace, plus eating at some restaurants we pick.

I know about counting down the months. We booked last May -- I promised myself I would not spend the next year fixated on the trip, but it was hard to put aside!

Archived