Helicopter Medivac off the Diamond

humboldt74

Was there an evacuation? What happened?

What is the rest of the story

Paul Harvey Aurandt (born September 4, 1918), better known as Paul Harvey

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Harvey

Paul Harvey is perhaps the best known and most heard radio personality of all time.

from

http://www.homeofheroes.com/news/archives/2000_0826_societyawards.html

My father-in-law is a cardiologist in Seattle, and he says he can always tell when Alaska cruise season has started because he starts seeing old people with heart problems getting medevac-ed in. Scary.

I really wouldn't worry about posting the picture, I think they should be happy that they are prepared enough to get this done. The same thing happened a few weeks ago on a Celebrity cruise. They said that the staff on board was credited with saving the man's life.

First off let me say that I am retired from the Coast Guard and while stationed at CGAS San Diego completed over 20 cruise ship medivacs. I would never put my daughters, the flight crew or myself in any danger. What the Coast Guard flight crews do on these flight is often overlooked and they deserve all the attention they can get. If the situation had put anyone in anykind of danger, i assure you I would never have taken these pictures. It brought back a lot of memories for me. I spent a lot of time on Cadros Island during these evolutions. The Diamond Princess passed quite close to Cadros on the way home.

I understand the gentleman medivaced had internal injuries. Here is a picture of the rescue swimmer leaving the ship. These guys have a really big pair to do what they do.

These guys have a really big pair to do what they do.

No Woman need apply? Oh, you mean a big pair of :eek: :eek:

the men and women of Coast Guard Sector San Diego

from

http://www.uscg.mil/d11/sandiego/

Coast Guard Air Station San Diego

from

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/lindbergh-field.htm

Before the Coast Guard transfer H-60s to San Diego, we flew these medivacs in H-65s. That involved flying to Cadros island, refueling from a C-130, flying the Medivac, back to cadros to transfer the patient to the 130 than a three hour flight back to San Diego.

3433569523232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2338%3D%3A43%3D668%3DXROQDF%3E2323792434%3A98ot1lsi

humboldt74, those are great photos. I wish I had gotten my camera in December on the NOS when a similar operation off-lifted an injured crewman. In that situation the ship made several sharp course corrections to prepare for landing while the chopper hovered off the port side and the jet flew cover around the ship. The Coast Guard is pretty impressive. We had another experience years ago on the Sea Breeze where the chopper arrived about 10 o'clock at night and we came out of the theater to find it hovering over the deck hoisting the litter aboard. Very impressive!

Archived