Please help with walkers & excursions

grey's girl

My Mom and I will be cruising together in the fall. Mom is in her 80's and walker dependent. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find excursions that will be fun for her, besides 'city tours'. Our Ports of call are Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, and Grand Cayman...Can anyone suggest anything? This cruise is on her 'bucket list', so I want to make it as special as I can for her.

ps..her walker has wheels on it....so I'm not sure how beach friendly it would be.

My Mom and I will be cruising together in the fall. Mom is in her 80's and walker dependent. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find excursions that will be fun for her' date=' besides 'city tours'. Our Ports of call are Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, and Grand Cayman...Can anyone suggest anything? This cruise is on her 'bucket list', so I want to make it as special as I can for her.

ps..her walker has wheels on it....so I'm not sure how beach friendly it would be.[/quote']

As far as the Tours offered by the cruiseline are concerned, you'll be hard pressed to fine any other than the city tours you mentioned. You might check into booking private tours locally or hiring a taxi when your arrive in port. That way the taxi will be able to get you mother closer to any attraction than a tour bus could which would minimize her walking.

I would recommend Victor Bodden for Roatan. He was excellent for helping me to see the island and manage by scooter as well. It is a private excursion and the only problem I could imagine is that private tour providers are not allowed into the carnival owned docking area so she would need to walk to the entrance which is uphill. I used my scooter so it was OK for me. In Grand Cayman we enjoyed Bosun's Bay Beach which includes the turtle farm. There is an aviary and snorkel opportunity here as well. We have not been to Belize. In Cozumel we went to Chankaanab Park which has a beach, snorkel, swim with dolphins, and nature walk areas. It is accessible in "most" but not all areas. There is food available.

Walkers, wheeled or otherwise are not good on sand in my opinion. Of the above mentioned places I know that Chankaanab has a beach wheelchair you can borrow. These have large balloon wheels that do work on sand.

As far as the Tours offered by the cruiseline are concerned, you'll be hard pressed to fine any other than the city tours you mentioned. You might check into booking private tours locally or hiring a taxi when your arrive in port. That way the taxi will be able to get you mother closer to any attraction than a tour bus could which would minimize her walking.

Thanks so much...I've booked right at the port before and have had good luck with it, but this time wanted to have everything taken care of in advance. I'm just coming up empty on ideas.

I would recommend Victor Bodden for Roatan. He was excellent for helping me to see the island and manage by scooter as well. It is a private excursion and the only problem I could imagine is that private tour providers are not allowed into the carnival owned docking area so she would need to walk to the entrance which is uphill. I used my scooter so it was OK for me. In Grand Cayman we enjoyed Bosun's Bay Beach which includes the turtle farm. There is an aviary and snorkel opportunity here as well. We have not been to Belize. In Cozumel we went to Chankaanab Park which has a beach, snorkel, swim with dolphins, and nature walk areas. It is accessible in "most" but not all areas. There is food available.

Walkers, wheeled or otherwise are not good on sand in my opinion. Of the above mentioned places I know that Chankaanab has a beach wheelchair you can borrow. These have large balloon wheels that do work on sand.

Last year, DH and I booked the zip-line tour with Victor...we had so much fun and I would love to do an excursion with him again. Thanks for refreshing my memory :) I'm not sure

that Mom could do the climb up the hill but maybe if we had her sit on her walker, we could push her. I think I'll e-mail Victor and see if he has any suggestions.

Did you book an excursion to Bosun's Bay Beach or grab a taxi?

Again, thanks to both for the replies! In all my cruises, this one is proving to be quite the challenge (but will be sooo worth it).

We took a ship's excursion to Bosun's Bay beach. We have been to Grand Cayman many times and had done the sting ray city and reef snorkel when I was a better walker. One neat thing with Bosun is that as you swim in the snorkel area (which is man made salt water recycling holding lots of tropical fish) you will come to a clear plastic area that has lots of sharks on the other side.

Archived