Lanyards

Pokey1

Hey Pokey1,

Those are beautiful! I almost fell over when I saw this thread this evening....I made some beaded lanyards last week for our cruise leaving on 3/19. Ours are made with burgundy stones and silver beads on leather-like cording!

4 days and counting till the Glory sails!

Well you have inspired me and my daughters. This weekend we are going to Hobby Lobby and are going to attempt to make our own Lanyards. They have different charms like the sun, glasses, flip-flop sandles with diamonds :). Thank you for inspiration!

Hi everyone..I was just strolling through this thread and saw those lanyards..first of all, let me say you did a great job! And second...did you use directions of some kind? I'd like to make a few of them myself for our cruise in April. Would you mind giving a bit of advice?

Go to your nearest craft store and check out the bead section. At Michaels they have necklaces and other items that they have made that are up for display. It's a great way to get ideas! Try Googling "beading" and see what comes up. :)

Pokey1, I'm so glad you started this thread! I've got about 4 made now. Just want a few more before we leave on Sunday. One will match my Khaki shorts, and one to match my bathing suit and wrap and two more for my daughter in blues and greens that seem to be so popular now! Maybe I'll make a few more...just in case someone else is interested in them...:D

Hi everyone..I was just strolling through this thread and saw those lanyards..first of all, let me say you did a great job! And second...did you use directions of some kind? I'd like to make a few of them myself for our cruise in April. Would you mind giving a bit of advice?

Thank you for the compliment. I did not use any directions for the lanyards, just kind of thought about what I would like. I'm happy to see such a great response because I wasn't sure women actually wanted to wear them on their cruise.

I'm happy to have "inspired" some of you....lol. Hey moms, I'm thinking these might be nice gifts for your child's teachers too!

• 2 weeks later...

Used my lanyards!

I made some using nylon and some using jeweler's wire. The wire ones held up great. The nylon ones came apart about half way into the cruise. There was a lot of pull on them from clipping and unclipping my room key card on it.

Either leave the card on the lanyard and hand them the entire card/lanyard when getting on/off the ship, or use the sturdier jeweler's wire.

My daughter never took hers off and in the formal picture, just turned it around so it looks like a necklace.

They received MANY favorable comments!

Crazy question, but who punches in the hole in the pass card? The bead idea is great, have seen them in fancy, smancy beed shops; however, I guarantee that w/my luck, mine could get caught in the elevator, fall apart & cause my husband to trip and fall.:)

We got ours at the NYC pier. The kids already had holes in theirs. They would not punch a hole in mine at the pier. As soon as we got on board, I went to the reception desk and they took care of this for me. No problem!

My lanyard with small seed beads fell apart as I handed it over to be swiped. Fortunately, I ended up with a handful of beads and it didn't interfere with anyone else! :)

Definitely need to use jewelers wire with crimp beads and jump rings.

or maybe

Nymo thread (like nylon) and double it up. Make sure those knots are tight and glue them (which I didn't do!).

Thanks, Hurrhugo. I just recalled that I have 2 corded lanyards from a meeting. I may p-up some beads and thread on this. I don't think my hubby would wear beads! I doubt he will even wear the cord w/pass card...even though he commented on last cruise that it wasn't a bad idea. I think it is safer & easier myself.

My lanyard with small seed beads fell apart as I handed it over to be swiped. Fortunately, I ended up with a handful of beads and it didn't interfere with anyone else! :)

Definitely need to use jewelers wire with crimp beads and jump rings.

or maybe

Nymo thread (like nylon) and double it up. Make sure those knots are tight and glue them (which I didn't do!).

I just wanted to mention that I did use the Softflex 49 strand Beading Wire as well as sterling silver crimp tubes on my lanyards. I was also concerned about them holding up for the week.

What a fantastic idea and something to keep me busy between now and my next cruise in September.

We also carry id cards at work but thus far I clip it to a belt loop on my slacks with one of those retractable cord things. I might even wear it on a lanyard if I had a pretty one! Just think of the seasonal and holiday possibilities!

Geez, where was this idea when I was a girl scout leader and needed creativity?

Archived