Price Changes, how often should I check?

sfBRAD

Booked an August cruise a month ago, so final payment isn't due till June. In the current freestyle dash sale, the price went town $230 a person! I got our cruise reticketed at the lower price.

Is it crazy to check prices every day, just in case? I know its all capacity controlled by a giant computer.

Our balcony price is pretty low now, so I don't expect it to go lower, but would change to a mini suite or suite if those prices drop.

What does everyone do?

Booked an August cruise a month ago, so final payment isn't due till June. In the current freestyle dash sale, the price went town $230 a person! I got our cruise reticketed at the lower price.

Is it crazy to check prices every day, just in case? I know its all capacity controlled by a giant computer.

Our balcony price is pretty low now, so I don't expect it to go lower, but would change to a mini suite or suite if those prices drop.

What does everyone do?

Very tough question. How much free time do you have? I definitely check when I hear about a sale as you and I just did for the current sale. It helps to sign up for NCL to email you when they are happening. And then maybe once a month or two. It depends on my mood, how far off the cruise is, and how much time I have on my hands while sitting at a computer.

I check everyday. It doesn't take that long and I like seeing what suites are still available for possible upgrades/upsells. I also talk to my pcc every few weeks to discuss any last minute deals on suites for up coming sailings.

It might be a bit obesssive, but we've been able to save alot of money. And that all goes to the booking for the suite on the next cruise. :)

It doesn't take long to check the prices, so I see no problem with checking it every day. It would be rare for prices to change more often than day to day. Once final payment is due I would stop checking unless you are ok seeing the price drop and being ok when you are told you cannot take advantage of the new price. As far as checking after final payment is due, I have always said "it never hurts to ask" as long as you are someone who can accept no. If you can and it will not ruin your cruise.. keep checking for as long as you want. 8-)

There are a few who get adjustments after final due date, get upgraded to a new cabin catagory, etc, but there are many many more who get told no and it seems to cause them great distress and I would hate that to happen to anyone, especially about something as wonderful as a cruise.

I also checked daily, we sailed in Feb, on a booking I made last June. Price went down 3 times before final payment in Nov, for a total of $1100.00..We were in one of the new penthouse suites with balcony on the Star, it was great, and the reductions gave me all that extra money to spend!! LOL..

Dona

I check daily now. I missed out on a rather large drop that happened during our Family Day long weekend (your President day holiday, I believe). I found it on the Sunday and by the time my TA saw my email it was Tuesday - not only was it no longer showing but the price had gone up too!

My TA told me to text, not email, him the next time it happens (note the positive attitude;)) right away.

Doesn't take any time so it is fine with me ... and fun too!

For our cruise last May, we checked nearly every day. A few weeks before the cruise, we changed from an AE to an AC. A day after doing this, the cost of the remaining AC's decreased. Even though we were beyond final payment, NCL gave us part of the difference as an OBC. Then, the Tuesday before our Saturday departure, we saw that an OS became available, so we called and were able to upgrade for about half of the difference between what we paid for the AC and the posted cost of the OS (and keep the OBC). For the two minutes we spent looking each day, it was worth it to us.

For our next cruise, we have not looked much, because we got such a great deal from the start and have seen nothing come close. Plus, we are not looking to move into a different cabin category. Instead, we spend our time on CC. :)

We booked with one of the advertisers here (for the first time) - I have yet to find a better price. I see the price $50 per person higher right now and that will climb with the fare increase April 1. We got the last cabin they had for their group booking. Wanted to put Mom and Aunt in cabin next to us and the cost was $40 more per person. They gave her a union discount 5 cabins away, different category, for $100 less than what we paid.

Who the heck knows how they price out these cruises any more. And this time we got our widowed friend an inside across the hall from us for the same price as an inside guarantee.

I do check every time I get an email but have yet to ever see a cruise we took out of New York drop in price.

What does everyone do?

If you have the time to check it isn't going to hurt, but usually every week or so, unless you hear about a special is often enough.

Nita

Is it worth it to upgrade to a balcony room for $100 per person? Just wondering as there are lots of open rooms on our d=cruise which is a week out. Or should I wait and hope for a call from the upsell fairy?

Or, when you board, ask if they have any upgrades available. We have always found they get cheaper once you are on the ship. We once upgraded from a window to a balcony on a 10 day cruise for $100 total.

Archived