Booking your Own cruise and then switiching to TA before final payment??

Why do you believe someone can change their mind multiple times and not be charged? Do you think you could order a paint color, start painting and then change it and not be charged?

Yes people who work in service industries do so to get paid, they are not charity positions.

If I'm correct in my understanding, the more discounts a client expects her travel agent to find, the lower the final commission for the travel agent.

This gets back to why a lot of people like to handle their own bookings for as long as possible. Why would any agent want to find those deals, only to their disadvantage?

I find the Royal agents so courteous and obliging on the phone. None have ever seemed irritated by my room changes, cabin upgrades, requests for application of price drops, dining table seating or time changes. The whole process is gratifying for me and I don't feel like I am imposing on my travel agent or missing out on ANY great deal or having to wait for a "middle-man" to make the changes.

Actually your example is the very reason that Royal Caribbean made the policy change. Cruise lines pay a commission to a travel agency to obtain and service the booking. If they're paying a commission to an agency they expect they don't have to pay their own personnel to service the booking. But a loophole allowed you to book directly with Royal Caribbean, call their employees numerous times to ask for something, then right before final payment transfer to an agency for a perk. So Royal Caribbean ended up paying their employee and a commission to an agency. Not a healthy financial policy for a business. And now that loophole is closed. Or I should say the window has been narrowed. Personally I think 60 days is too long and that 30 days would have been more than enough.

Bottom line, book with an agency and get the perks you like and give up some "control" or give up some of the mythical "control" and book with an agency and get your perks. As a consumer you get to make the choice that's best for you. As a business Royal Caribbean made the choice that was best for them.

If I'm correct in my understanding, the more discounts a client expects her travel agent to find, the lower the final commission for the travel agent.

This gets back to why a lot of people like to handle their own bookings for as long as possible. Why would any agent want to find those deals, only to their disadvantage?

The only loser in this scenario is the cruise line. And they got tired of taking a beating. Move on.

Why do you believe someone can change their mind multiple times and not be charged? Do you think you could order a paint color, start painting and then change it and not be charged?

Yes people who work in service industries do so to get paid, they are not charity positions.

Why are you using a special order item as a comparison? An item that once it's altered can never be the same again?

Does your favorite company, Nordstrom, charge when someone changes their mind multiple times and brings back an item to exchange for a different color/style/size?

Has RCCL made it more difficult to change staterooms within the same class?

E.G.:

I book an E1 stateroom, through a TA, for a 2012 cruise, the next time the TA offers a great deal with OBCs. (NOT using a Next Cruise certificate.)

I keep watching the E1 staterooms on the same cruise and 100 days before the cruise, my dream E1 cabin opens up. I have not yet made my final payment.

Are there any reasons or policies preventing me from changing cabins within the same class?

Thanks for your insight,

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

No issue with changing rooms within the same class, or upgrading. Often, the location on the ship is a good reason to book a specific room. We booked a grand suite last time and changed 2 or 3 times, when rooms closer to the center of the ship became available. We wanted to be closer to the elevators and mid-ship because people often say that the sailing is smoother there for people who have problems with sea-sickness. I've done every type of room change and all went very smoothly and was handled with courtesy.

I don't understand why anyone would book with RC only to move to a TA?

I just book the TA and watch the prices and if there's a drop I let the TA deal with it.

You still get all your perks as a diamond/emerald etc.... and if there is a price drop before final payment the TA can still get it for you so I guess I don't understand the dilemma.

Just book with your favorite TA.

An FYI for anyone who is still reading this thread....

"Richiebaseball" answers most threads that relate to travel agents or the cruise booking end of questions. He's had plenty of sarcasm to dish out and isn't speaking to the benefit of those of us who love cruising and enjoy a good deal.

Case in point...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzmaven viewpost.gif

The "problem" is that some people, myself included, rather retain control over the booking as long as possible, instead of relying on a TA. If I get a bug up my but and decide I want to change my cabin, I can call X and make the change directly from available inventory without having to relay my request through a TA. If I see the fare has decreased, I can call X directly and have it adjusted without relying on a TA to get it done. If I decide to cancel I can do so directly (even online) without having to go through a TA (some of which now charge cancellation fees).

Typically I'll only turn the reservation over to a TA right before final payment.

Now this isn't an option. I have to choose between controlling my own affairs or getting an OBC and other TA benefits. Not happy.:(

Richie's answer..."Life is tough." or how about this one... "All this wailing and gnashing of teeth. The options are simple. If you choose an agency that offers OBC then basically book with them from the beginning or book directly so you can retain "control" of your reservation. You just can't have it both ways. Life is full of choices. So choose."

or how about this one?

"This is a perfect example of why the policy is and should be changing. Here is someone that booked the cruise through the vacation planner that Celebrity hired and is paying for, even called to check on some policy in which the vacation planner answered in doing the job in which she is hired to do, and in the end will still transfer so Celebrity can pay both an agency and the vacation planner.

I don't blame Celebrity in the least for wanting to pay one or the other but not both. Does anyone else?"

or this one from October 18th, 2010, 2:46 p.m....

"I'm not misunderstanding and I don't shop for OBC. As an agency owner, I see it as anti-agency. The policy of limiting a transfer to a certain number of days from creation is fine and makes perfect business sense. Actually I think 30 days would have been perfect. But I have a handful of clients that will see a particular cabin or a particular cruise while browsing online, perhaps in the middle of the night, and book it directly with the cruise line knowing they can send me an email or call the next day and transfer it. That's the original purpose of the ability to transfer. Don't put any obstacle in the way of the consumer to book but make sure our travel agent partners can continue to keep their clients. So what happens if this new policy is indeed implemented? I get penalized by the loss of commission and the client may or may not lose some OBC. The only true winner in that scenario is the cruise line. For them, they still get the booking but have to pay less commission. "

Yup, Richie, I'm here with the rest of the travellers, looking out for what benefits me, the consumer. It's called SHOPPING. Who are you looking out for? If you are going to be on this thread or even this entire site, maybe you should adjust your signature to identify your position and we would have a better grip on your comments and your motivations.

Here is the reason that I joined Cruise Critic. Their "about us" statement, says it all:

"Five million visitors strong, Cruise Critic is a critically acclaimed interactive community comprised of avid and first-time cruisers who enjoy the fun of planning, researching and sharing their passion for cruising. No other single resource covers the world of cruising as thoroughly as CruiseCritic.com. Cruise Critic’s world-renowned editorial staff offers objective cruise reviews, features, ports of call profiles and destination stories. The Cruise Critic message boards are the most active in the world."

The advice of "avid and first-time cruisers" has been priceless. Can't say that I feel the same regarding some of the rude businessmen on this site.

Actually your example is the very reason that Royal Caribbean made the policy change. Cruise lines pay a commission to a travel agency to obtain and service the booking. If they're paying a commission to an agency they expect they don't have to pay their own personnel to service the booking. But a loophole allowed you to book directly with Royal Caribbean, call their employees numerous times to ask for something, then right before final payment transfer to an agency for a perk. So Royal Caribbean ended up paying their employee and a commission to an agency. Not a healthy financial policy for a business. And now that loophole is closed. Or I should say the window has been narrowed. Personally I think 60 days is too long and that 30 days would have been more than enough.

Bottom line, book with an agency and get the perks you like and give up some "control" or give up some of the mythical "control" and book with an agency and get your perks. As a consumer you get to make the choice that's best for you. As a business Royal Caribbean made the choice that was best for them.

I would hardly refer to the "Travel Agency Transfer Forms" posted on Royal Caribbean's website and the freedom to use them, by the passenger, until final payment date as a "loophole" that us unethical consumers are taking advantage of. Anyone who was using the forms had obviously already booked their cruise via a Royal agent by phone or online. It was company policy to allow us to switch at any given point. If they changed their policy, it is their prerogative to do so. If the buyers don't like the new policy, they are free to say so.

I wonder how many RC agents will actually lose their jobs, now that we don't need their help so much?

Now what is the company name on those matching company shirts?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=187738&d=1299558960

From what I've seen, this transfer issue seems to be a very hot topic and you've been hard at work downplaying the complaints on the Celebrity and Royal forums.

Thanks for putting all the clues together for the rest of us.

So, CoachT,

Out of curiousity, why do you believe a cruise passenger should expect to pay a fee if said passenger changes cabins "multiple" times?

How would you define "multiple" times when one is booking over a year in advance?

I guess you don't make your living in the "mamby-pamby" service industries. :rolleyes:

Sylvia

Why are you using a special order item as a comparison? An item that once it's altered can never be the same again?

Does your favorite company, Nordstrom, charge when someone changes their mind multiple times and brings back an item to exchange for a different color/style/size?

GM CoachT,

I guess my two questions,

1. Out of curiousity, why do you believe a cruise passenger should expect to pay a fee if said passenger changes cabins "multiple" times?

2. How would you define "multiple" times when one is booking over a year in advance?

were not direct enough for simple answers. :confused: And I'm clearly not the only one that thinks your reply missed the mark.

If it's true that you are a TA, I'll imagine you to be a bit like R. Lee Ermey in that insurance commercial, where the "host" asks, "Does a former Drill Sergeant make a terrible therapist?" At the end of the commercial, the former DS/therapist calls his patient a "cry baby". :D

BTW - I actually do volunteer (I don't expect financial reward for this :cool:) and I also work in tax services and have served in financial marketing services. Some of my customers require a lot more of my time than others, but the only time I'll "fire" a client is when he/she actually expects me to do something unethical or unlawful.

If a customer is pleased with my service and he/she feels I charge a fair price and whatever other thought process he/she considers, I will be rewarded with referrals and return business.

I take the easy and/or pleasant customers with the more challenging ones...if they were all easy, it wouldn't be called "work" then. ;)

Sylvia

PS - For those of us who like to be hands on with our cruise bookings, if there were a way that I could go into RCI computer systems to make my stateroom changes, within the same class, without "bothering" RCI personnel or a TA, I would GLADLY do so, but for now...:cool:

Hi Sylvia,

No issue with changing rooms within the same class, or upgrading. Often, the location on the ship is a good reason to book a specific room. We booked a grand suite last time and changed 2 or 3 times, when rooms closer to the center of the ship became available. We wanted to be closer to the elevators and mid-ship because people often say that the sailing is smoother there for people who have problems with sea-sickness. I've done every type of room change and all went very smoothly and was handled with courtesy.

Thanks for your understanding, SD.

While I usually know what stateroom category I want, far in advance, our "dream staterooms" aren't always available at the same time as our original booking.

I do have a sensitive tummy (I wear Sea-Bands, a patch behind the ear and I love my ginger tea) so I like to be as midship as possible. My DH, with his sea legs, likes big balconies. Before we sail I keep an eye on available rooms in my booked category, because the location of our stateroom and/or the size of our balcony DOES matter. :)

You are correct that I wouldn't expect my TA, whether he/she is at RCI or at another agency, to keep a daily eye on my booking to see if a better cabin opens up. I think you and I actually enjoy the search for bargains and "dream staterooms" enough that if there were a way for us to do our own thing up to the last minute, without "bothering" :rolleyes: anyone, we would do it! :D

Sylvia

CoachT,

I'll answer your question with an anecdote:

A few years back, we had to restain our deck, so we went to the same place where we had purchased stain in the past to buy the same color stain.

We ordered the same color and the rep mixed the tint into the "5 gallon" stain. The color looked a little off, so the rep called over a supervisor. The supervisor explained that the stain company had been experimenting with their "5 gallon"-sized stain container, which now contained only 4.75 gallons of base colored stain. The tint-formula was base on 5 gallons so the color ACTUALLY WAS off! :eek: The supervisor mixed another batch for us with a tweaked tint-formula which gave us the correct color. We only paid for the correct mix.

I don't "change my mind" regarding stateroom categories as much as I "desire the best location" for my cabin. :rolleyes:

So, I DO believe a person should be able to change cabins within the same category as better staterooms become available, and NOT BE CHARGED A FEE, unless perhaps I expected the TA to keep a daily eye on cabin availabilities, in order to do THAT WORK for me. ;)

Personally, I probably wouldn't order paint, start painting and THEN not want to be charged, but clearly some paint stores are willing to take back mixed paints (which they then try to sell at clearance prices).

I know I didn't pay for mixed stain when the color was off. :cool:

Sylvia

GM CoachT,

1. Out of curiousity, why do you believe a cruise passenger should expect to pay a fee if said passenger changes cabins "multiple" times? 

2. How would you define "multiple" times when one is booking over a year in advance?

were not direct enough for simple answers. :confused: And I'm clearly not the only one that thinks your reply missed the mark. 

If it's true that you are a TA, I'll imagine you to be a bit like R. Lee Ermey in that insurance commercial, where the "host" asks, "Does a former Drill Sergeant make a terrible therapist?" At the end of the commercial, the former DS/therapist calls his patient a "cry baby". :D

Okay...You've given me my first laugh on this blah Monday morning. :D

PS - For those of us who like to be hands on with our cruise bookings, if there were a way that I could go into RCI computer systems to make my stateroom changes, within the same class, without "bothering" RCI personnel or a TA, I would GLADLY do so, but for now...:cool:

I recently thought the same thing. Even though we can book online, without an agent, I wish we could also make room changes and apply price drops without having to phone in. That would be the ultimate. Does that make me a control freak? :D I also wish EVERY available room were visible on the web-site, rather than just short lists. I'm probably just dreaming.

I would hardly refer to the "Travel Agency Transfer Forms" posted on Royal Caribbean's website and the freedom to use them, by the passenger, until final payment date as a "loophole" that us unethical consumers are taking advantage of. Anyone who was using the forms had obviously already booked their cruise via a Royal agent by phone or online. It was company policy to allow us to switch at any given point. If they changed their policy, it is their prerogative to do so. If the buyers don't like the new policy, they are free to say so.

I wonder how many RC agents will actually lose their jobs, now that we don't need their help so much?

I was done with this thread and taking my own advice and moving on however your petty attempts at cyberstalking pulled me back in. As you can clearly tell by reading some of my posts on other threads I make no secret about my business. And unlike you I do attempt to offer a fair, albeit somewhat uncensored opinion. I operate my agency much like I myself shop. I'm not willing to accept the best price at any cost however I do look for value. You made the decision to read my posting history so you could cherry pick posts that you thought made me look anti-consumer when in reality I operate a very pro-consumer business. Very often I find myself arguing here with agents that post that are anti-discount and anti-onboard credit. I am constantly advising people to check with multiple agencies and find the very best deal that works for them. I'm not sure why you would choose to try to deliberately mislead people and try some kind of smear campaign. Like I said, that's very petty but really is a testiment to you and not me. I'm more than happy to let anyone judge my intentions from all of my posts and not just ones that get cherry picked by you in order to try to bolster your argument. So here's some of the consumer side you conveniently chose to disregard:

That's one opinion. Or you could find an agency that offers a perk like OBC. And since you're apparently looking for a suite that perk could amount to hundreds of dollars.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27673007&highlight=#post27673007

So it sounds like you typically book direct and then transfer to a TA just before final to get a perk. Now you'll only book within final payment but will not book with your TA. I'm curious as to why you're cutting your TA out. Since there is no more price protection after final payment you will not have the need to "control" your reservation for price drops, the OBC or whatever perk you're getting is still there if that is something your TA usually does.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26558150&highlight=#post26558150

Despite what you think and it appears you hope for, those big OBC offers will not go away. For the most part customers will have to choose when first booking whether to book direct or book using an agency. For those that book their cruise using an agency that offers OBC, this policy will not change that at all. And the OBC's will remain.

I haven't heard anything about the lowered commission so I'll have to wait to see if that one actually transpires. Unlike the new 60 day policy that simply closes a loophole and really doesn't change the agency relationship, a lowered commission is indeed a sign that the cruise line is openly attempting to move business toward a direct model and is an anti-agency policy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26519692&highlight=#post26519692

Then I would recommend that you book direct. That way this issue doesn't come up at all for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26310321&highlight=#post26310321

You just need to keep searching for the agency that offers onboard credit

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25639129&highlight=#post25639129

As long as there is a distribution system perks will always be available and there will always be agencies that operate on a volume business model and offer perks and/or discounts. Just the same as almost any other product or service. Whether someone chooses the best service or the best price or some combination of the two is something the customer must ultimately decide.

For someone that considers Cruise Critic a lost cause, why do you still hang around and post? Is it just to try to belittle anyone that doesn't see things your way? Most of the people on here are just like most everyone else. They're looking for information and they're looking to share information. And they're looking for value as well. Value means different things to different people. Some look for the best service at any cost and some look for the best cost at any cost and then there are the majority of people that are probably somewhere in between. Sure you have a few that are so anti-agent that their views are somewhat questionable and then you have the opposite side of the coin which is, well, you. So what gives?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25358130&highlight=#post25358130

To find an agency, start at the top of this page with the "Cruise Agencies" link. These are agencies that advertise on Cruise Critic. Then interview them about things that are important to you. Any fees to change or cancel, do they honor price drops, things like that. If being a member of the Better Business Bureau or a chamber of commerce is important to you then ask that. As for the OBC, a lot of the time it's not called in until just before sailing. I would think as long as you have a confirmation or statement from the agency stating that they are providing an onboard credit then 99% of the time or more, things will be fine. In the small chance that the OBC doesn't appear, it's usually just a mistake and generally you will be made whole after the cruise, for example the agency sending you a check.

Good luck on however you choose to book and happy cruising!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24510964&highlight=#post24510964

This is your attempt to paint yourself as on the side of the regular Joe on the other end of the phone when in reality if Royal Caribbean continued with the transfer policy as it was, which is what you want, then they would either a) raise prices to compensate for paying salary to employees and a commission to an agency, or b) look to cut costs which might mean cutting employees. So everyone could end up paying higher prices or some of those RC agents could lose their jobs. But it's okay because YOU get things the way YOU want it.

An FYI for anyone who is still reading this thread....

"Richiebaseball" answers most threads that relate to travel agents or the cruise booking end of questions. He's had plenty of sarcasm to dish out and isn't speaking to the benefit of those of us who love cruising and enjoy a good deal.

Many of those threads I answer are to argue on the side of a consumer to shop for an agency that offers a perk such as a discount or onboard credit. And I end up arguing with agents that feel that everyone should pay full price and/or pay fees. Much like I did on this thread with CoachT.

Yup, Richie, I'm here with the rest of the travellers, looking out for what benefits me, the consumer. It's called SHOPPING. Who are you looking out for? If you are going to be on this thread or even this entire site, maybe you should adjust your signature to identify your position and we would have a better grip on your comments and your motivations.

Well we can agree that you're looking out for YOU. That much is pretty clear. And I could very well add my agency name to my signature however then I would not be able to post and advise people to find an agency that offers onboard credit. That advice coupled with the name of my agency would be advertising, albeit subtle advertising, and is against Cruise Critic guidelines.

GM CoachT,

were not direct enough for simple answers. And I'm clearly not the only one that thinks your reply missed the mark.

If it's true that you are a TA, I'll imagine you to be a bit like R. Lee Ermey in that insurance commercial, where the "host" asks, "Does a former Drill Sergeant make a terrible therapist?" At the end of the commercial, the former DS/therapist calls his patient a "cry baby".

Okay, Sylvia. You gave me my first big laugh of the day. I also loved the paint anecdote. Here's mine:

A lady went into a paint store to buy a bucket of paint in the shade of Margarita Green. The paint store said, "Well, we only mix one of those colors per day and someone just left with that color. How about a nice bucket of Parasol Pink instead? or perhaps a bucket of Raspberry Red?"

The woman pondered the suggestions, explaining that pinks and red give her upset stomachs due to a rare condition which causes visual disturbances. These colors also cause her feet to swell to two times their original size, making it difficult to walk to the far ends of her home. ;)

Desperate for new paint, the lady purchased the Parasol Pink, saying, "This color isn't bad, but it's not my favorite. I REALLY wanted Margarita Green."

Meanwhile, a plainclothes paint supplier stood there telling her to take her paint and "move on." :eek:

The lady was rather irritated, thinking that her desires were not unreasonable, and wondering why the "customer" next to her (the pcps) was taking it all so personally. :rolleyes:

Other customers, hearing the commotion stepped up to the plate and began to talk to the lady, saying, "Yes, this happened to me, too. And now my livingroom is Eggplant Purple instead of Sunflower Yellow. Paint is really expensive and I only can change my colors once in 10 years."

During the 20 minutes that the conversation continued, a customer walked in with a bucket of paint to return. Lo and behold, it was a bucket of Margarita Green! :p (insert Hallelujah Chorus) He explained, "I haven't even touched this paint with a stir stick or opened the can. My wife saw the label and cried, 'Aggggh. Margarita Green??? :eek: I wanted Parasol Pink!'"

The Parasol Pink toting lady then stepped up to the counter, purchased their returned can of Margarita Green, leaving this gentleman her can of Parasol Pink. :D (insert sparkling diamond on tooth and "ding" sound)

Everyone prepares to leave happy....until....(insert dramatic theme song...dun...dun...dun).

A second plainclothes paint supplier walked up to the happy pair and said, "I think you BOTH should pay an extra $5 per gallon for all of the trouble that you've caused this poor store clerk. But what do I know? I'm just a super-conscientious consumer like yourselves."

The End.

Well we can agree that you're looking out for YOU. That much is pretty clear. And I could very well add my agency name to my signature however then I would not be able to post and advise people to find an agency that offers onboard credit. That advice coupled with the name of my agency would be advertising, albeit subtle advertising, and is against Cruise Critic guidelines.

It is up to the consumer to look out for themselves (...and when there is a law or statute on the books that supports the consumer, that's icing on the cake! It's party time!). If they don't, they are stupid.

You are allowed to add your agency name as long as you don't list your location or business address or website. You can give as much advice as you want!

Guidelines: "You are welcome to sign your name and note your professional business as long as you comply with the following:

- You may not use your business name as your Cruise Critic user name.

- You may sign your posts with your first name only.

- You may include your company name in your signature.

- You may not list your phone number, business location (city or state), web site address, contact info or e-mail address.

- You may not include your location and/or website address in your Cruise Critic profile.

- Responding to member's inquiries on the boards with an ad for your services is not allowed.

- Only items of a general nature may be discussed on the forums by any travel agent."

Now what is the company name on those matching company shirts?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=187738&d=1299558960

From what I've seen, this transfer issue seems to be a very hot topic and you've been hard at work downplaying the complaints on the Celebrity and Royal forums.

That company no longer exists as it was merged with another.

The transfer issue actually is only a hot topic to a few handful of people. And I haven't downplayed anything. I have explained the likely reasons behind the change. I have offered my opinion that it's not going to change. I have suggested that people now either book direct for the control or book with an agency for perks. And since it's a policy that's not likely to change and since there is an option available I have suggested that people move on.

You're the one trying to stoke some kind of fire by quoting posts that aren't even on this thread and then only quoting one side in an attempt to make you look like some kind of modern day Robin Hood looking to take from the evil business people and give to the masses.

The transfer issue actually is only a hot topic to a few handful of people. And I haven't downplayed anything. I have explained the likely reasons behind the change. I have offered my opinion that it's not going to change. I have suggested that people now either book direct for the control or book with an agency for perks. And since it's a policy that's not likely to change and since there is an option available I have suggested that people move on.

I am going to disagree: transferring right before final, in those good times gone by, was a frequent piece of advice given out by experienced cruisers. It was a great feature.

People are unhappy that it's gone, but the worst thing to do, consumer-wise, would be to not complain about it. Companies aren't aware of what we don't like unless we actually tell them, i.e. complain....

They might change it or they might not, but you never have a chance of getting what you want if you don't make your feelings known.

Archived