What to do in Vancouver???????

believer33323

If you want to only do Chian Town, Gas Town and Stanley Park on your 1 day I would not pay for the HOHO rather just either the local bus or a taxi as Gas Town is only 2 blocks from the dock - and China Town is only 4 blocks over from Gas Town - after doing those 2 areas either garb a cab to Stanley Park or catch a bus (all day pass for the bus $9.pp) cost of cab China Town to Stanley Park should run you around about $10. - $15.

If you want to do Capilano Suspension Bridge & Grouse Mtn than I would definitely use public transit...grab an all day pass for $9. and after you exit the cruise ship dock walk to your left 1.5 blocks and you come to the entrance to the SEA BUS which will take you accross the harbour to Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver...Lonsdale Quay is a public Market. Walk thru the market to the north end and here you fidn the bus loop - catch the Capilano Road bus and ask the dirver to tell you when to get off for the Suspension Bridge. The bus stop is accross the street from the entrance. Enjoy the bridge & park & trading post...then exit and go back to the bus stop accross the street and reboard the Capilano Road Bus going up the hill - ride it to the end of the route and you are at the base station for the air tram up Grouse Mtn. Enjoy your time up the Mtn and then catch the bus back to Lonsdale Quay and then the Sea Bus back to Vancouver side of the harbour. If you have any time left enjoy Gas Town it is immediately to your left as you exit the Sea Bus Station.

Ann

Please let me know if this sounds doable. We are taking the train up for Seattle on a Sun morning. Thought we would purchase the HOHO day tickets. Ride around Sun maybe see Dr Sun Yat Sen Classical Gardens and whatever we can. Monday use the public transit day pass $9 to go Grouse mtn & Capilano Suspension Bridge, maybe the fish hatchery if in the end of June there is anything to see. Not sure if time will be left to fit anything else in. We get on the Disney cruise Tues. morning. Thanks!!

I think we may be on the same cruise. We sail with Disney on June 28th. I just purchased our tickets through Vancouver Trolley for the HoHo bus. They are offering a special if you buy a 1 day pass online you get a second day free. We arrive in Vancouver on the Sunday (via Amtrak from Seattle like you) and will be staying at the Pan Pacific. Once we check into the hotel we plan to do the 2 hour bus tour without getting off so we can get a good overview of the city. We plan to use our second day pass on Monday to go back and see all that we want to. I don't think we will get to see everything on the second so we may skip Stanley Park that day and wait to spend an entire day there after we get off the ship. We will have two and a half days more in Vancouver after the cruise.

I think we may be on the same cruise. We sail with Disney on June 28th. I just purchased our tickets through Vancouver Trolley for the HoHo bus. They are offering a special if you buy a 1 day pass online you get a second day free. We arrive in Vancouver on the Sunday (via Amtrak from Seattle like you) and will be staying at the Pan Pacific. Once we check into the hotel we plan to do the 2 hour bus tour without getting off so we can get a good overview of the city. We plan to use our second day pass on Monday to go back and see all that we want to. I don't think we will get to see everything on the second so we may skip Stanley Park that day and wait to spend an entire day there after we get off the ship. We will have two and a half days more in Vancouver after the cruise.

Yep, we are on the Disney. We are trying to figure out our plans too. We are staying at the Coal Coast Harbour Hotel, got a great deal on the room.

I need some help in figuring out my one-day plan (I have from 7am disembarkation until my 11:00pm flight). I know I definitely want to go to Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain. After that, I think I would enjoy sitting back and enjoying a two-hour HOHO trolley ride around town, even though I know it will be an added expense. Definitely want to go to Stanley Park and see the totem poles.

I just have a few questions in order to put this all together:

When I disembark from my cruise ship, where is the nearest place to purchase a $9 all-day pass?

Take Seabus to Capilano Bridge (I will follow directions mentioned earlier)

Grouse Mountain

How can I get to the nearest HOHO trolley pick-up location after the Capilano Bridge?

Where can I get public transportation to the airport around 8:00pm?

Thanks!

I need some help in figuring out my one-day plan (I have from 7am disembarkation until my 11:00pm flight). I know I definitely want to go to Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain. After that, I think I would enjoy sitting back and enjoying a two-hour HOHO trolley ride around town, even though I know it will be an added expense. Definitely want to go to Stanley Park and see the totem poles.

When I disembark from my cruise ship, where is the nearest place to purchase a $9 all-day pass?

Grouse Mountain

How can I get to the nearest HOHO trolley pick-up location after the Capilano Bridge?

Where can I get public transportation to the airport around 8:00pm?

Thanks!

Not sure about the rest but here is a link to the HOHO route map.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tours/route-map

When I disembark from my cruise ship, where is the nearest place to purchase a $9 all-day pass? There is a news vendor in both Waterfront Centre across the street from Canada Place and in Waterfront Station which will have the passes.

Grouse Mountain

How can I get to the nearest HOHO trolley pick-up location after the Capilano Bridge? The Vancouver Trolley stops at Canada Place which will be the closest stop once you return on the SeaBus

Where can I get public transportation to the airport around 8:00pm? Yes, you can take the Canada Line directly out to YVR from Waterfront Station using your all day pass, it takes about 24 mins.

Thanks!

Have fun.

Please let me know if this sounds doable. We are taking the train up for Seattle on a Sun morning. Thought we would purchase the HOHO day tickets. Ride around Sun maybe see Dr Sun Yat Sen Classical Gardens and whatever we can. Monday use the public transit day pass $9 to go Grouse mtn & Capilano Suspension Bridge, maybe the fish hatchery if in the end of June there is anything to see. Not sure if time will be left to fit anything else in. We get on the Disney cruise Tues. morning. Thanks!!

Yes, what you have planed is quite doable and yes, there is always something to see at the fish hatchery, they are raising fish as well as hatching them.

quote:

If you're flying INTO vancouver, its a no brainer, hit the 7-11 at the airport, and buy your tickets, then use the Skytrain from the airport to downtown. (although you'll have to transfer to a bus to get to your hotel)

I hate to be a "no brainer" lol.....but I have a bad sense of direction, especially when dealing with someplace new, and worry about getting lost:confused:

So you are saying that rather than taking a cab or transfer from the airport, we can just hop on the Skytrain for $9 and go all the way downtown?.....plus use it for some sightseeing the rest of the day? Sounds too good to be true! :)

We are arriving the day before our cruise around 12-noon and would like to head straight to our hotel to drop off luggage (Vancouver Renaissance Harbourside Hotel). Would we need to transfer to a bus as well?...Where would we get on/off at?...or how far a walk would it be?

We would also like to go to Stanley Park/Aquarium and GasTown.

Thanks for all the info/help...especially Putterdude! ;)

quote:

I hate to be a "no brainer" lol.....but I have a bad sense of direction, especially when dealing with someplace new, and worry about getting lost:confused:

So you are saying that rather than taking a cab or transfer from the airport, we can just hop on the Skytrain for $9 and go all the way downtown?.....plus use it for some sightseeing the rest of the day? Sounds too good to be true! :)

We are arriving the day before our cruise around 12-noon and would like to head straight to our hotel to drop off luggage (Vancouver Renaissance Harbourside Hotel). Would we need to transfer to a bus as well?...Where would we get on/off at?...or how far a walk would it be?

The all day pass will indeed provide you with transportation from YVR to Waterfront Station which is about 5/6 blocks east of the Renaissance, see the attached map (Waterfront Station is indicated as "West Coast Express") and yes you can use the pass to travel about the city for rest of the day. Unfortunately there is not a bus that is going to put you a whole lot closer than the 6 blocks. although it is a level walk, if you don't feel you can handle the walk than you can take a cab from Waterfront Station for less than $10.

I am also attaching a link to a transit planner but to get to the park you can catch a #19 bus almost at the hotel.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/travel/yvrrd-renaissance-vancouver-harbourside-hotel/

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&.s=42fec40e

quote:

If you're flying INTO vancouver, its a no brainer, hit the 7-11 at the airport, and buy your tickets, then use the Skytrain from the airport to downtown. (although you'll have to transfer to a bus to get to your hotel)

We are staying at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel 2 nights before our cruise. ( The first night we get in at 1:30 am) So from what I am understanding, we can purchase at $9 all day bus pass at the 7-11 in the airport and hop on the Sky Train which is located in the airport and take this to Stanley Park and other area sites? Just want to get my facts right. TIA :)

We are staying at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel 2 nights before our cruise. ( The first night we get in at 1:30 am) So from what I am understanding, we can purchase at $9 all day bus pass at the 7-11 in the airport and hop on the Sky Train which is located in the airport and take this to Stanley Park and other area sites? Just want to get my facts right. TIA :)

You got it, go to either the 7-11 or the Pharmasave in the airport to buy the pass....you don't even have to step outside, you can walk from the hotel thru the terminal.

For breakfast we went to a local place 2 blocks from the dock, called Scozzi's (http://www.scoozis.ca/). Best egg bennies I've ever had! It comes with a small bowl of fresh fruit and in it was Dragon Fruit, and I've spent two years looking for some.

My husband LOVES eggs benedict so this place sounds perfect for us! Thanks for the suggestion!

Having worked in downtown Vancouver all my life just a few blocks from Scoozi's I can confirm that they do a great job. If you are staying anywhere close to their location on Howe St., just a couple of blocks from Canada Place you won't be disappointed...as I recall there was a time that they didn't open on Sundays but they are now open 7 days a week.

Having worked in downtown Vancouver all my life just a few blocks from Scoozi's I can confirm that they do a great job. If you are staying anywhere close to their location on Howe St., just a couple of blocks from Canada Place you won't be disappointed...as I recall there was a time that they didn't open on Sundays but they are now open 7 days a week.

We are staying at the Pan Pacific so I assume we can just walk there?

Also does anyone have thoughts on the Grouse Mtn zip line? I have always wanted to do a zip line and since we are already going to the mtn we figured it made sense. We were not planning to make reservations in case we changed our mind but maybe that's a mistake??

We are staying at the Pan Pacific so I assume we can just walk there?

Also does anyone have thoughts on the Grouse Mtn zip line? I have always wanted to do a zip line and since we are already going to the mtn we figured it made sense. We were not planning to make reservations in case we changed our mind but maybe that's a mistake??

You sure can, just come out of the hotel turn left and come up the Howe St. ramp and you will see it in the next block.

Can't help you with the zip line but no I would not make reservations...if the weather is poor you will likely want to do something else, it can be pretty wet up there on the mountain.

The Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden's are very much worth a visit they are just a tad awkward to get to. To walk to them from downtown or thru Gastown puts you in a rather scuzzy area. You can take the Skytrain to the Stadium as walk the 3 blocks which is a bit of a nicer walk or take a cab...the cab will cost you <$10 in either direction...in either case in addition to the gardens you may care to spend an hour or so exploring some of the shops and markets in Chinatown.

The Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden's are very much worth a visit they are just a tad awkward to get to. To walk to them from downtown or thru Gastown puts you in a rather scuzzy area. You can take the Skytrain to the Stadium as walk the 3 blocks which is a bit of a nicer walk or take a cab...the cab will cost you <$10 in either direction...in either case in addition to the gardens you may care to spend an hour or so exploring some of the shops and markets in Chinatown.

I purchaed the HOHO and one of the stops is Chinatown. So that shouldn't be an issue.

Thank You!!

Hi,

Vancouver Chinatown Night Market

http://www.vcma.shawbiz.ca/home_e.htm

When referring to the Vancouver Chinatown Night Market, is that both the Chinatown & Richmond Night Markets?

My friend and I will be staying for 1 night @ the YWCA Hotel (by the Public library) and our plan is to walk to the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden (our bus gets in around 2 pm so I am going to say we should be at the garden around 3 pm - closed). Afterwards, we were going to have dinner somewhere (any suggestions around the area for Chinese, Thai or Korean?).

How safe would it be to walk back to our hotel after the Night Market?

Another option was to go to Stanley Park after dinner (instead of the Night Market). Is that also safe? Would it be best to take public transportation from our hotel to the Park and walk the Seawall? Is that a time we should be out from Stanley Park?

The next day, the plan is to head to Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge.

I was reading through the Grouse Mountain website (and I might have missed it), but do we get to see the 2 bears and the wolves while we are up there?

Would you say to give 2 hours at Grouse (if the weather permits) and then 2 hours in Capilano Suspension Bridge? We were going to stop at Lonsdale Quay Market for lunch and then head back to the train station.

I also want to fit Aberdeen Centre in here somewhere but I don't think it is going to work...?

Thanks all in advance for the help.

Cheers,

Charlie

Hi,

Vancouver Chinatown Night Market

http://www.vcma.shawbiz.ca/home_e.htm

When referring to the Vancouver Chinatown Night Market, is that both the Chinatown & Richmond Night Markets?

My friend and I will be staying for 1 night @ the YWCA Hotel (by the Public library) and our plan is to walk to the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden (our bus gets in around 2 pm so I am going to say we should be at the garden around 3 pm - closed). Afterwards, we were going to have dinner somewhere (any suggestions around the area for Chinese, Thai or Korean?). There are any number of good Chinese restaurants in Chinatown, some faves are the Floata Seafood Restaurant and Hons Wun Tun.

How safe would it be to walk back to our hotel after the Night Market? The night market is out in Richmond out near the airport.

Another option was to go to Stanley Park after dinner (instead of the Night Market). Is that also safe? Would it be best to take public transportation from our hotel to the Park and walk the Seawall? Is that a time we should be out from Stanley Park? I would certainly walk the Seawall in the evening but probably would avoid being to deep in to the park after dark.

The next day, the plan is to head to Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge.

I was reading through the Grouse Mountain website (and I might have missed it), but do we get to see the 2 bears and the wolves while we are up there? Yes.

Would you say to give 2 hours at Grouse (if the weather permits) and then 2 hours in Capilano Suspension Bridge? We were going to stop at Lonsdale Quay Market for lunch and then head back to the train station. It will depend upon what you want to do and see, 2 hours is ok for the bridge but I would allow 3 for the mountain.

I also want to fit Aberdeen Centre in here somewhere but I don't think it is going to work...?

Thanks all in advance for the help.

Cheers,

Charlie

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Archived