Bermuda with a toddler

trvl_fanatic

Hello all, we'll be traveling with our daughter who will be 19months this June to Bermuda. We're not planning on bringing our carseat to do the tours/taxis.

Is it feasible for us to get around Bermuda on our own using the ferry system to the beaches or other kid-friendly venues? and if there are particular places you recommend, we would be glad to hear them!

thanks!

Have traveled to Bermuda a few times now but never with a child. When cruising we've docked in King's Wharf where you can get off the ship and walk right over to the water taxi/ferry. Easy, easy, easy! You can get to the other side of the island and enjoy some time over there. There are also buses which will pick you up at the dock in King's Wharf (not sure if that's where you're docking?) I don't see why you couldn't put your child on your lap for a bus ride, although I've never done it and the bus drivers/taxi drivers tendy to be nutty drivers. There is a beach within walking distance from that pier too, we walked over to it just to check it out, I remember it being kind of small but nice. There is also shopping to do at King's Wharf which makes for a nice day.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Bermuda is very easy to get around on your own using the ferry/bus system. You can buy passes that will cover both. Pick up an inexpensive tour guide to decide where you want to go (highly recommend the acquarium/zoo, especially if weather is iffy for the beach) and then check the schedules when you buy your transportation pass. Highly recommend Horseshoe Beach, but you might just want to walk over to Snorkel Park. Also at Kings Wharf is a Maritime museum where you can walk the grounds and view different exhibits and then sit for a while on benches and watch people engaging in the dolphin encounter. You can sit right up close, and it's quite enjoyable even if you are not participating. Tons of things to do on your own.

I don't know about Bermuda- but packing a car seat around in port is going to be a pita.

The Caribbean ports usually don't use carseats- just put them on the front of their scooter or behind dad but in front of mom- and usally between their younger sibling.......

I would bet most of us here are alive today- and didn't use car seats....lol

~no-flames- just an observation...

Julie

Have traveled to Bermuda a few times now but never with a child. When cruising we've docked in King's Wharf where you can get off the ship and walk right over to the water taxi/ferry. Easy, easy, easy! You can get to the other side of the island and enjoy some time over there. There are also buses which will pick you up at the dock in King's Wharf (not sure if that's where you're docking?) I don't see why you couldn't put your child on your lap for a bus ride, although I've never done it and the bus drivers/taxi drivers tendy to be nutty drivers. There is a beach within walking distance from that pier too, we walked over to it just to check it out, I remember it being kind of small but nice. There is also shopping to do at King's Wharf which makes for a nice day.

Hope that helps a bit :)

As a mom who has been to bermuda I would agree with skip the carrseat. There's really no room for it on the buses and not sure how you woyuld attach it to the seats on the ferry.

We went to Horseshoe Bay the first day. Off to the right side is a smaller cove type area with low water perfect for a toddler- my son loved it. They also have a concession stand there as well and changing rooms with showers.

The next day we went to Shelly Bay which is supposed to be a great beach for kids. The playground was in the burning sun and the beach was empty. The concession stand was not open and the "bathrooms" were very dirty and disgusting filled with dead leaves and garbage.

We were sorry we didn't go back to Horseshoe:(

I don't remember taking too many taxi's in Bermuda. We were able to walk off the ship to most of our destinations. As someone mentioned, at the port near the fort there is a really nice Snorkle Park which as within walking distance (bring an umbrella stroller) and it had chairs, snorkle equip for rent, a snack bar and facilities. Near by was also the dolphin experience, which you can also peak at (not sure if it is still there). The only form of transportation I remember taking was the carriage ride in town, and I doubt you would need a car seat for that. All in all, getting around Bermuda with a child wasn't a real problem.

Hello all, we'll be traveling with our daughter who will be 19months this June to Bermuda. We're not planning on bringing our carseat to do the tours/taxis.

Is it feasible for us to get around Bermuda on our own using the ferry system to the beaches or other kid-friendly venues? and if there are particular places you recommend, we would be glad to hear them!

thanks!

We went to Bermuda last year alone and loved it so much we are going back this year with our children. My suggestion for you (which is also what we plan on doing ourselves) is to get off the ship and get on the ferry heading to St George. From there we are walking to Tobacco Bay. That beach was fantastic! Far less crowded than Horseshoe and it is a HUGE cove so there were no waves. It will be perfect for a toddler!!! We fell in love with it. Here are a few shots we took from last year. As you can see there was hardly anyone there. Infact we were the only ones there for the first 2 hours we were there :D

15.jpg.f7d5ee01f5ec1027e303765bae259cbf.jpg

16.jpg.d4037724d9b95b990bc6b958973da609.jpg

Archived