Sea Turtles

Cruisin Bee

I just got back from Hawaii. Depending on where you are, you can just snorkel out and see them. All the Islands have turtles. Ask the sports desk at the hotel you are staying at. They should know where to find them. If you go SCUBA diving, then you can get up close and personal with the turtles. I was swimming around with 4 turtles and I did a shore dive in Maui. If you are going to Maui this month, make sure you go to La Haina on the west shore for some whale watching. Well worth it. They are in prime season as of last month.

We went to Maui and the Big Island. We saw a turtle in Honolua Bay on Maui (or rather my husband did), and on the Big Island we saw turtles in and out of the water at the Place of Refuge, Punaluu and Kahaluu beaches. It's my understanding that turtles are seen at Punaluu quite regularly--it's a lovely black sand beach near Volcanoes National Park.

I've seen them all over the place when snorkeling.

A few of the places I remember most on Oahu are right in front of the Sheraton Waikiki beach (Oct 2002), during a dolphin tour we did on the west shore of Oahu (Oct 2004), and at Shark's Cove on the north shore (this was during a summer time visit in June 2003, the surf is real rough here during the winter months).

In Kona near the Captain Cook monument. In Maui right next to Black Rock in front of the Sheraton Kaanapli Beach, and on the way back from Molokini.

I didn't see them in Kauai. The snorkeling along the NaPali coast wasn't very good. I'm sure there are other places on that island that someone can suggest.

There are lots of sea turtles on the Big Island right at the beach in shallow water at Hualalai next to the residents' canoe club. This beach has easy public access and you can check out Michael Dell's house which is next door at the neighboring development. There are also turtles at the Fairmont Orchid on Hawaii as well - they sun themselves right on the beach.

You can see them pretty much everywhere in Hawaii. Just remember though that they are protected by state and federal law and you can be fined if you are caught messing with them. I've been snorkeling and had one come right up for air next to me. As tempted as I was to try to pet it, it was very cool just to be able to bob next to it and watch it doing its thing. :)

We saw many of them in the Ceremonial National Park (don't know name) near town of Captain Cook east of Kona. They are very dark and with black lava become almost invisible in the water. Once you know what you are looking for, you will see them all around the beach area. We were just walking along the water's edge.

John L.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Maui two days ago. You can find turtles pretty much anywhere in Maui. With that said, there seems to be a very high concentration of them near the Sugar Beach condos. At one point while at this beach, I was swimming, and three turltes came along on the swim with me. Don't get too excited about whales however, as it is now pretty much the end of the season for whales. It is not that you won't see any, but there are very few left (they are now heading north).

If you want a secluded place to swim with turtles and see great fish, then ?I suggest you go to a place the is very well known by the locals - the aquarium (and, no I do not mean what you think). The aquarium is a little cove near Makena. YOu have to hike for about thirty minutes over lava rock to get there, but it is worth it. This place has by far the most fish around.

Archived