Cigar smoke on QV

Debbers

Our very recent voyage on QV was lovely in most ways. One HUGE problem, however, was completely unexpected: Someone on our corridor (7 starboard) smoked cigars, indoors, a lot. Our delightful butler assured us the problem was being sorted, and for a few days things got better, but then they got much, much worse. It was apparent as soon as we stepped off the lift, and even seeped into our suite.

When I complained to the purser's desk--and reminded them that cigar smoking was ONLY allowed in the cigar lounge--the reply was, "we have asked them to stop; there's nothing more we can do." Really? If a passenger breaks the rules and causes discomfort to other passengers, there's nothing to be done? Our only other cruise experience was on Oceania, where a dispute between passengers landed them both in the Captain's office. Was I naive to expect a stronger response?

My first thought was that you are not allowed to smoke Cigars in State rooms & that the person was breaking the rules & the staff can take action against them if they do not comply to the rules, But on checking on Cunard's web site for the wording of the Companies Policy on smoking it does not!! say that Cigar smoking in staterooms is not permitted, what it says is that Churchills is for smoking Cigars!! So the staff can only request the person to not do so but they can not enforce a rule they do not have. This is a paste copy of the Cunard policy.

Where can I smoke on board?

The safety, comfort and enjoyment of all our guests on board has always been a key concern at Cunard. With this in mind, as a direct result of the feedback we have received from our guests, we have amended our policy with regards to smoking on Cunard ships. Smoking is no longer permitted in any public area with the exception of Churchill's Lounge (cigars only) and designated areas on the open decks. Smoking is permitted on private balconies.

Oh dear. DH and I would be very seriously put off by this. As we are due to sail on QV later this year does anyone have any ideas as to what we should do if our cabin is similarly affected? It sounds like the cigar smoker was impervious to direct reproach. Nice person!

Oh dear. DH and I would be very seriously put off by this. As we are due to sail on QV later this year does anyone have any ideas as to what we should do if our cabin is similarly affected? It sounds like the cigar smoker was impervious to direct reproach. Nice person!

If your cabin smells of smoke report it & it will be deep cleaned see here.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/smoke_smell

It's quite true that the stewards can clear your stateroom of smells, but he/she can't do anything about the smoke wafting down the hall. As I said, the cigar smell permeated the corridor and was quite evident even by the elevator. Blech.

It's quite true that the stewards can clear your stateroom of smells, but he/she can't do anything about the smoke wafting down the hall. As I said, the cigar smell permeated the corridor and was quite evident even by the elevator. Blech.

Yikes! People hang out in hallways? Are there parties going on? What deck???

I smoke cigars, but I can also appreciate Debbers' point of view. Cigar smoke is more pervasive than cigarette smoke, and smoking cigars indoors more readily affects the personal spaces of others.

My wife is pretty sensitive to smoke-filled rooms. She was a principle soprano at the Met and continues to sing in her retirement. She and I have worked out an arrangement. I never smoke indoors, and on long car trips I carry an electric smoke dionizer with my window cracked. She sometimes wears a surgical mask for any stray smoke. We get along fine.

In hotels and at sea, I find as distant a spot outside as possible or in a dedicated cigar lounge in order to be as courteous to my fellow travellers as I can, while exercising my rights, too. For an upcoming trip on the QE I have deliberately reserved a balcony cabin at the very stern, at considerably more expense than I ordinarily would, to minimize my smoke wafting into adjacent balconies. Beyond that, I don't know what else I can do and still enjoy my hard-earned vacation.

True allergies to smoke are very rare. I'm afraid that people who sometimes look for reasons to be offended by people who smoke (or, in my case, use cell-phones indiscriminately, dress inappropriately, behave boorishly) are, unfortunately, becoming more common.

If your cabin smells of smoke report it & it will be deep cleaned see here.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/smoke_smell

How do you ensure my stateroom doesn't smell of smoke?

When there is residual smoke smell, all soft furnishings are changed, walls washed down and the carpet is extracted with either plain water or shampooed as appropriate.

Cunard may say this on their web site but in practice a steward usually squirts everwhere with a 'febreze' type solution which masks the smell for a few hours but it can (and does) seep back - our steward on the QE last November even offered to leave a bottle with us so we could squirt around the cabin ourselves!!!

Maybe they deep clean and change soft furnishings between cruises if there is a particularly bad smell of stale cigarette smoke in a cabin but I think it is a bit hit and miss and must depend on how proactive the cabin steward is - ours was in denial about the problem and preferred the 'febreze' option!!!

How anyone can ever hope to cleanse the smell of stale cigar smoke from a cabin between cruises is beyond me. Just pity the passengers who occupied that particular cabin next!!

Ken

I smoke cigars, but I can also appreciate Debbers' point of view. Cigar smoke is more pervasive than cigarette smoke, and smoking cigars indoors more readily affects the personal spaces of others.

My wife is pretty sensitive to smoke-filled rooms. She was a principle soprano at the Met and continues to sing in her retirement. She and I have worked out an arrangement. I never smoke indoors, and on long car trips I carry an electric smoke dionizer with my window cracked. She sometimes wears a surgical mask for any stray smoke. We get along fine.

In hotels and at sea, I find as distant a spot outside as possible or in a dedicated cigar lounge in order to be as courteous to my fellow travellers as I can, while exercising my rights, too. For an upcoming trip on the QE I have deliberately reserved a balcony cabin at the very stern, at considerably more expense than I ordinarily would, to minimize my smoke wafting into adjacent balconies. Beyond that, I don't know what else I can do and still enjoy my hard-earned vacation.

True allergies to smoke are very rare. I'm afraid that people who sometimes look for reasons to be offended by people who smoke (or, in my case, use cell-phones indiscriminately, dress inappropriately, behave boorishly) are, unfortunately, becoming more common.

I dont think you could be more considerate! I wish there were more people like you. You`re not wrong re cell phones, inappropriate dress and boorishness either!

One other little tidbit that isn't widely advertised. Balconies on the port side of QV are

designated as smoking, starboard side balconies are non smoking. I don't know if this is fleet

wide or just on the QV but we only learned this after boarding. The cabin right next to us had

a cigar smoker. All through the Panama Canal he puffed away. Whenever the wind shifted we

were smoked out.

Swear to God. It was printed in our daily program.

Oh Dear! It appears that we have the quite normal Cunard divide here once again, with ship side and/or shore side. Never shall the twain meet!

Best

Judy

The best news for people who done really like smoke filled rooms is that from March 24th 2012 on QV and from April 27th 2012 for QM2 and QE is that smoking is NOT allowed in ANY stateroom at all, only on the balcony (either side) and on deck, Churchills will cigars only (no cigerettes) and the upper lever on QM2 og the G32 .

Page 255 of the new brochure

This in inline with the direct feedback from all passengers, so people must be filling in those forms at the end of each voyage.

This will please some and not others

The best news for people who done really like smoke filled rooms is that from March 24th 2012 on QV and from April 27th 2012 for QM2 and QE is that smoking is NOT allowed in ANY stateroom at all, only on the balcony (either side) and on deck, Churchills will cigars only (no cigerettes) and the upper lever on QM2 og the G32 .

Page 255 of the new brochure

This in inline with the direct feedback from all passengers, so people must be filling in those forms at the end of each voyage.

This will please some and not others

If that is enforced, then in a storm, when the decks are closed, those in inside and outside non balcony cabins will not be able to smoke at all on QV and QE. And, given that G32 is open in the evening only, will severely limit those on QM2.

Has this (assuming that it happens) been thought through?

WD

If that is enforced, then in a storm, when the decks are closed, those in inside and outside non balcony cabins will not be able to smoke at all on QV and QE. And, given that G32 is open in the evening only, will severely limit those on QM2.

WD

I cvan only imagine that if Cunard have gone to the bother of printing this information on page 255 of the new brochure then it has indeed been thought through-much the same as if there were gale force winds in the UK and lashing rain, smokers still cant smoke inside a building.

I am sure its not ideal, but the info is there in the book, I also assume it will happen, its printed

WD

It says you can smoke in G32 upper level as now, G32 is always open, no music or bar, but open, so maybe the smokers can just go in there anytime

much the same as if there were gale force winds in the UK and lashing rain, smokers still cant smoke inside a building.

Well there are still some hotels in the UK that offer smoking rooms. The Savoy being one.

Best

Judy

much the same as if there were gale force winds in the UK and lashing rain, smokers still cant smoke inside a building.

Well there are still some hotels in the UK that offer smoking rooms. The Savoy being one.

Best

Judy

Indeed there are Judy.....we stayed in 3 different hotels pre and post cruise last year in England....and I had others to choose from but chose these for various reasons. Fortunately we all still have choices we can make and in most cases very acceptable ones.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

2011...North to Alaska!! A wilderness tour and cruise....sorry Cunard.

Best

Judy

To be honest, there are still many hotels that allow smoking in the rooms, I dont how long that will last, I understand that there are plans to stops it in the future , but who can say.

i did find this, which I thought interesting, the pub trade in the UK would suffer, but they are planing on stopping smoking even in office doorways, pub gardens and bus stops, how it would all be inforced I dont know.

Alastair Jamieson

Smoking ban could be extended to cover office doorways

Smokers could be pushed further out into the cold under new government plans to extend the cigarette ban outdoors to include entrances to workplaces, bus shelters and pub beer gardens.

But Cunard have said in the brochure no smoking in cabins

Indeed there are Judy.....we stayed in 3 different hotels pre and post cruise last year in England....and I had others to choose from but chose these for various reasons. Fortunately we all still have choices we can make and in most cases very acceptable ones.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

2011...North to Alaska!! A wilderness tour and cruise....sorry Cunard.

You are correct there is always a choice.

but things are changing quite fast, at the moment Hotels do allow smoking in a few of the rooms, not all hotels though and the number is growing, much the same as in the USA.

I can still big changes and I think that most smokers can see them coming as well, in the Uk the price is going to rocket and stores are going to have to hide them from view and the packets will be plain white with just a goverenment warning on them, changes are coming and fast and now the smoking ban has reached Spain as well

Archived