Eclipse 3/12 Eastern Sailing Review

xxsappixx

Hello everyone! I have been a lurker on this forum for quite some time and have found the information that you guys have on here to be quite useful. We just got back from the Eclipse 3/12 Eastern Caribbean sailing. I decided that now would be a good time to post a review as well as thank everyone for the plethora of information on here. My girlfriend and I are young by X standards. We are 22 and 21 respectively. We have been on a couple of different cruises before but this was our first on X. I chose Celebrity for a couple of different reasons although the primary was we wanted good service, food and an older more mature crowd. We like the peace and quiet and don’t like the crazy party scene, we just simple wanted to relax.

Disclaimer: There may be some grammatical/spelling errors. I typed this up rather quickly as I have a bunch of other things to do… Its long too!

Embarkation-

We both live in Miami so we just had someone give us a quick ride down to the port at around noon. Upon arrival at the port we handed our luggage to the porter, including a case of water bottles. Once inside the terminal we went through the security checks. The confiscated my corkscrew (I didn’t realize that the blade on it would be a problem). However they gave me no trouble over the two wine bottles I had in my backpack or the third one in my suitcase. We got our sea pass cards and waited for about 20 minutes in line for the ship photographers to take the embarkation pictures. I find this really annoying since I’m usually in a hurry to go to the stateroom and drop off our carry on stuff. Once in the ship we had to wait about 45 minutes before our stateroom was ready.

Stateroom-

I booked cabin 8273 thanks to the advice of someone on this board. This was a very nice hump balcony. The room was very clean with the exception of the veranda. I had to chase around after our stateroom attendant to get it clean but eventually he did. The interactive TV was excellent and channel variety was excellent too. It was the first time for both of us that we weren’t bored to death at sea by the TV. The free movie choices were actually quite good. I’m not a big movie buff but my girlfriend is. We were able to watch the Karate Kid, Salt and Dinner for Schmucks. Three movies in a week is definitely a record for me. The bathroom was great and had a very nice lay out. We could both use it at the same time with plenty of room to spare, definitely a plus. My girlfriend was amused at the lack of the sticky plastic curtains..lol. Our stateroom was extremely quiet and very conveniently located midship. I will note that our original stateroom attendant was sick and it wasn’t until the third day that we had our permanent steward. The beds were extremely comfortable

Food-

I had heard from some of my friends that had done a Solstice cruise last year that the food was very good. Well I have to say they were indeed quite right. The food in the MDR was excellent; in fact we ate there every night. I have to say that our favorite was the filet mignon. Definitely rivals even the best steaks I have had on land. The food was better than any RCL, Carnival or Princess cruise both of us had been on. The desserts however were okay. The buffet was excellent, plenty of choices. We especially liked the variety of ice cream and sushi choices they had in the evening. Mast Grill had great burgers and the fries were excellent. The Aqua Spa café had some interesting choices but just not our cup of tea so to speak. Room service was great. They had an excellent selection. We especially loved that we could order it on the TV the night before and have it delivered early in the morning, have it on the balcony and then go back to sleep. The brunch in the MDR was excellent although a bit chaotic. There was people were all over the place. Unfortunately and I am really upset at my self for not having done it sooner was to try one of the specialty restaurants. I tried to make reservations the last night but they were all booked. Café al Bacio was great and so was Bistro on 5.

Bar Service/Lounges-

Bar service was okay in the Martini Bar and Pool Bar. Nothing stellar but we only went a few times. I found bar service to be somewhat slow especially in the theatre. The Molecular Bar concoctions were awesome, however the bar attendants personality left a lot to be desired. You couldn’t get a smile out of the guy sheesh! Sky Lounge was very beautiful and we enjoyed some of the time we spent there. Quasar was nice although a couple of the nights we were the only ones in there.

Entertainment-

I absolutely hate the broadway style shows. I find them boring and played out. Don’t know why but I just can’t stand them. I sat through about 15 minutes of a couple of shows and I just had to leave, I couldn’t do it any more. The Cirque Du Solei type show was actually pretty good. D’Revelations was awesome; we were quite impressed with them. The comedian on board was okay, nothing great but not bad either.

Ports-

San Juan-

Was very beautiful although we decided to just walk around a bit. We had both been there before (additionally I have Puerto Rican family) so we just went to have some of the local eats. We spent the rest of the time lounging in the pool and went back out to take some photographs.

St. Maarten-

The weather was not very good. It was rainy and somewhat breezy. There was also a bunch of ships in port including the Epic, Disney ship, Holland America ship and another celebrity ship. We walked a bit before deciding to just go back on the ship nap/lounge around. Our original plan was to go to Orient Beach but decided against it due to the weather.

Basseterre, St. Kitts,

Was extremely beautiful. We walked around to check out some of the town and went to a park and a nearby church to take some pictures. The weather was great and the people were extremely nice. Wish I had planned more to do in this port.

Ship-

We found the ships layout to be excellent. Everything was very nice and new. Some of the most tastefully decorated ships we have ever been on. I think Jewel of the Seas is a close second in terms of décor. I will mention that we absolutely were annoyed by the fact that there was little to no trashcans. This drove me insane. I hate walking around with napkins or something and not knowing where to throw them away. But other than this the Eclipse was absolutely beautiful.

Disembarkation-

Went extremely smooth. Usually we carry our own luggage off the ship. However this time we decided to let them do the work for us and it was completely worth it. We only had to wait a few minutes for them to clear up the gangway but before we knew it we had our bags and were going through customs. I went back into the terminal to pick up my confiscated bottle opener and was curbside waiting for our ride shortly there after.

A couple of minor issues-

Service was good but I certainly would not rate it as great. I honestly expected a bit more in terms of service from both the cabin steward and the MDR staff. Honestly service got better after the first couple of days. I guess part of the problem was that it was spring break and they were quite busy. I originally requested a table for 2 by a window. We got a table for 2 but they were so close together we weren’t able to enjoy a romantic evening together. We did enjoy the company of the couple next to us however its kind of awkward since it feels like we are having dinner with our parents. Maitre D wasn’t very helpful in finding us a better table. The fact that we didn’t have a permanent cabin steward was also kind of annoying. One day the knocked on our door FOUR times while we were sleeping to clean our cabin. I called the cabin steward and politely asked him not to clean our stateroom till we called him and asked him to do so. He complied. We didn’t feel that the attention to detail was as good as it was on previous cruises. The staff was not quick to clean up the public areas. I personally hated seeing the full ashtrays on deck 5, port side. The ships photographers lost our first formal night pictures. We took 4 they only had 1. Apparently this happened to 20 other couples. We had a problem in St. Kitts with the sea pass system. They had to manually record the entrances and exits on the ship. Getting back on the ship took about 45 minutes. There were some kids running around on the hallways making noise, especially late at night but that really wasn’t too big a deal.

Conclusion-

We absolutely enjoyed our cruise. Although we did have a few minor issues we do understand that it’s a new ship and that there will be some growing pains. We loved Eclipse and would be more than happy to cruise on her again. I hope that you all enjoyed our review. Please feel free to ask any questions. I will try to answer them as best as possible.

I agree that the tables for two on both the Eclipse and Solstice are very close to their neighbors. The good news is that you are not required to interact with others; the bad news is that you may overhear conversations from other tables. Plan to save the romance for the stateroom.

Hello everyone! I have been a lurker on this forum for quite some time and have found the information that you guys have on here to be quite useful. We just got back from the Eclipse 3/12 Eastern Caribbean sailing. I decided that now would be a good time to post a review as well as thank everyone for the plethora of information on here. My girlfriend and I are young by X standards. We are 22 and 21 respectively. We have been on a couple of different cruises before but this was our first on X. I chose Celebrity for a couple of different reasons although the primary was we wanted good service, food and an older more mature crowd. We like the peace and quiet and don’t like the crazy party scene, we just simple wanted to relax.

Disclaimer: There may be some grammatical/spelling errors. I typed this up rather quickly as I have a bunch of other things to do… Its long too!

Embarkation-

We both live in Miami so we just had someone give us a quick ride down to the port at around noon. Upon arrival at the port we handed our luggage to the porter, including a case of water bottles. Once inside the terminal we went through the security checks. The confiscated my corkscrew (I didn’t realize that the blade on it would be a problem). However they gave me no trouble over the two wine bottles I had in my backpack or the third one in my suitcase. We got our sea pass cards and waited for about 20 minutes in line for the ship photographers to take the embarkation pictures. I find this really annoying since I’m usually in a hurry to go to the stateroom and drop off our carry on stuff. Once in the ship we had to wait about 45 minutes before our stateroom was ready.

Stateroom-

I booked cabin 8273 thanks to the advice of someone on this board. This was a very nice hump balcony. The room was very clean with the exception of the veranda. I had to chase around after our stateroom attendant to get it clean but eventually he did. The interactive TV was excellent and channel variety was excellent too. It was the first time for both of us that we weren’t bored to death at sea by the TV. The free movie choices were actually quite good. I’m not a big movie buff but my girlfriend is. We were able to watch the Karate Kid, Salt and Dinner for Schmucks. Three movies in a week is definitely a record for me. The bathroom was great and had a very nice lay out. We could both use it at the same time with plenty of room to spare, definitely a plus. My girlfriend was amused at the lack of the sticky plastic curtains..lol. Our stateroom was extremely quiet and very conveniently located midship. I will note that our original stateroom attendant was sick and it wasn’t until the third day that we had our permanent steward. The beds were extremely comfortable

Food-

I had heard from some of my friends that had done a Solstice cruise last year that the food was very good. Well I have to say they were indeed quite right. The food in the MDR was excellent; in fact we ate there every night. I have to say that our favorite was the filet mignon. Definitely rivals even the best steaks I have had on land. The food was better than any RCL, Carnival or Princess cruise both of us had been on. The desserts however were okay. The buffet was excellent, plenty of choices. We especially liked the variety of ice cream and sushi choices they had in the evening. Mast Grill had great burgers and the fries were excellent. The Aqua Spa café had some interesting choices but just not our cup of tea so to speak. Room service was great. They had an excellent selection. We especially loved that we could order it on the TV the night before and have it delivered early in the morning, have it on the balcony and then go back to sleep. The brunch in the MDR was excellent although a bit chaotic. There was people were all over the place. Unfortunately and I am really upset at my self for not having done it sooner was to try one of the specialty restaurants. I tried to make reservations the last night but they were all booked. Café al Bacio was great and so was Bistro on 5.

Bar Service/Lounges-

Bar service was okay in the Martini Bar and Pool Bar. Nothing stellar but we only went a few times. I found bar service to be somewhat slow especially in the theatre. The Molecular Bar concoctions were awesome, however the bar attendants personality left a lot to be desired. You couldn’t get a smile out of the guy sheesh! Sky Lounge was very beautiful and we enjoyed some of the time we spent there. Quasar was nice although a couple of the nights we were the only ones in there.

Entertainment-

I absolutely hate the broadway style shows. I find them boring and played out. Don’t know why but I just can’t stand them. I sat through about 15 minutes of a couple of shows and I just had to leave, I couldn’t do it any more. The Cirque Du Solei type show was actually pretty good. D’Revelations was awesome; we were quite impressed with them. The comedian on board was okay, nothing great but not bad either.

Ports-

San Juan-

Was very beautiful although we decided to just walk around a bit. We had both been there before (additionally I have Puerto Rican family) so we just went to have some of the local eats. We spent the rest of the time lounging in the pool and went back out to take some photographs.

St. Maarten-

The weather was not very good. It was rainy and somewhat breezy. There was also a bunch of ships in port including the Epic, Disney ship, Holland America ship and another celebrity ship. We walked a bit before deciding to just go back on the ship nap/lounge around. Our original plan was to go to Orient Beach but decided against it due to the weather.

Basseterre, St. Kitts,

Was extremely beautiful. We walked around to check out some of the town and went to a park and a nearby church to take some pictures. The weather was great and the people were extremely nice. Wish I had planned more to do in this port.

Ship-

We found the ships layout to be excellent. Everything was very nice and new. Some of the most tastefully decorated ships we have ever been on. I think Jewel of the Seas is a close second in terms of décor. I will mention that we absolutely were annoyed by the fact that there was little to no trashcans. This drove me insane. I hate walking around with napkins or something and not knowing where to throw them away. But other than this the Eclipse was absolutely beautiful.

Disembarkation-

Went extremely smooth. Usually we carry our own luggage off the ship. However this time we decided to let them do the work for us and it was completely worth it. We only had to wait a few minutes for them to clear up the gangway but before we knew it we had our bags and were going through customs. I went back into the terminal to pick up my confiscated bottle opener and was curbside waiting for our ride shortly there after.

Service was good but I certainly would not rate it as great. I honestly expected a bit more in terms of service from both the cabin steward and the MDR staff. Honestly service got better after the first couple of days. I guess part of the problem was that it was spring break and they were quite busy. I originally requested a table for 2 by a window. We got a table for 2 but they were so close together we weren’t able to enjoy a romantic evening together. We did enjoy the company of the couple next to us however its kind of awkward since it feels like we are having dinner with our parents. Maitre D wasn’t very helpful in finding us a better table. The fact that we didn’t have a permanent cabin steward was also kind of annoying. One day the knocked on our door FOUR times while we were sleeping to clean our cabin. I called the cabin steward and politely asked him not to clean our stateroom till we called him and asked him to do so. He complied. We didn’t feel that the attention to detail was as good as it was on previous cruises. The staff was not quick to clean up the public areas. I personally hated seeing the full ashtrays on deck 5, port side. The ships photographers lost our first formal night pictures. We took 4 they only had 1. Apparently this happened to 20 other couples. We had a problem in St. Kitts with the sea pass system. They had to manually record the entrances and exits on the ship. Getting back on the ship took about 45 minutes. There were some kids running around on the hallways making noise, especially late at night but that really wasn’t too big a deal.

Conclusion-

We absolutely enjoyed our cruise. Although we did have a few minor issues we do understand that it’s a new ship and that there will be some growing pains. We loved Eclipse and would be more than happy to cruise on her again. I hope that you all enjoyed our review. Please feel free to ask any questions. I will try to answer them as best as possible.

We would agree with you on the shows in main show room as the singers were not good. The dancers were OK and the sets were the same for both shows. Also agree that the show on Thursday with the acrobats should not be missed. We also liked the dance band and thought they were exceptional.

We loved the ship and we thought the staff was friendly. We were in Aqua class and enjoyed the food in Blu.

John & Shari

Embarkation-

Stateroom-

Food-

Bar Service/Lounges-

Entertainment-

Ports-

San Juan-

St. Maarten-

Basseterre, St. Kitts,

Ship-

Disembarkation-

Conclusion-

We just returned from the same cruise and had "excellent" service both in the MDR and the cabin. The martini bar had probably the best bartenders that we have ever had on a cruise ship in almost 75 cruises. The layout and design of the Eclipse was wonderful. We never had an issue looking for trash cans on the Eclipse.

Unfortunately, during the St. Kitts stop the ship had an issue with the Sea Pass system. As as result, the passengers had to be manually checked in. Celebrity did pass out free soda to those waiting in line, as well as free Evian water. I found that Celebrity handled the issue in a professional manner.

xxsappixx -

I must compliment you on being such a seasoned cruiser at so young an age!

We love the Eclipse, so much so we are heading out Friday for our third cruise on her. Sorry you had a few glitches (like St. Kitts), but sounds like you took it in stride and didn't let it ruin your vacation and overall satisfaction. You must get back and explore St Kitts more, it is such a beautiful island, one of our most favorite islands.

Your review of Celebrity was excellent, hit all the right points, but didn't get bogged down with too much personal or non-X related things, that so many unfortunately include (like their flights, their shuttle, port experiences, etc). Might I suggest you post your review with the Celebrity Cruise Reviews? Just go here

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/index.cfm

and paste in your review, and don't forget to add your ratings!

p.s. where did you eat in san juan?

Silent Bob -- last time we docked in SJ it was in OSJ, NOT at the Pan American pier. I expect it to still be the same.

We just returned from the same cruise and had "excellent" service both in the MDR and the cabin. The martini bar had probably the best bartenders that we have ever had on a cruise ship in almost 75 cruises. The layout and design of the Eclipse was wonderful. We never had an issue looking for trash cans on the Eclipse.

Unfortunately, during the St. Kitts stop the ship had an issue with the Sea Pass system. As as result, the passengers had to be manually checked in. Celebrity did pass out free soda to those waiting in line, as well as free Evian water. I found that Celebrity handled the issue in a professional manner.

You got lucky, honestly we didn't mind the wait but we did however feel bad for some of the older folks. It was hot. When we were in line they weren't passing out anything just cold towels. It wasn't a big deal to us but I'm sure it was for some of the older folks. Service in the MDR and stateroom got better as the days went by. I think it had to do with our lack of an assigned steward. Numerous times we got pastries or cookies from Cafe Al Bacio to go. We couldn't find trashcans to throw away napkins or the little holders they put them in. We weren't the only ones that noticed it; a few other passengers said the same thing. Again these are no big deals for us. They are simply observations.

Hi,

were going on the eclipse on november 26..and wondering if there must see places in san juan being that it will be our first time. thanks

Personally I recommend going to see El Morro, La Fortaleza and El Parque de Las Palomas. The Bacardi distillery is also a great tour. I however associate Bacardi with Cuba. The San Juan distillery was built during after the prohibition to save $$ on import taxes. El Yunque is about a 45 minute drive from San Juan. If I could only pick one it would be El Yunque. I remember being younger and playing around under the waterfalls in the crystal clear water.

xxsappixx -

I must compliment you on being such a seasoned cruiser at so young an age!

We love the Eclipse, so much so we are heading out Friday for our third cruise on her. Sorry you had a few glitches (like St. Kitts), but sounds like you took it in stride and didn't let it ruin your vacation and overall satisfaction. You must get back and explore St Kitts more, it is such a beautiful island, one of our most favorite islands.

Your review of Celebrity was excellent, hit all the right points, but didn't get bogged down with too much personal or non-X related things, that so many unfortunately include (like their flights, their shuttle, port experiences, etc). Might I suggest you post your review with the Celebrity Cruise Reviews? Just go here

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/index.cfm

and paste in your review, and don't forget to add your ratings!

p.s. where did you eat in san juan?

Silent Bob -- last time we docked in SJ it was in OSJ, NOT at the Pan American pier. I expect it to still be the same.

Thank you! We definitely enjoyed our vacation, glitches aside. I feel its just important to mention the good as it is to mention the bad. I will post up my review as soon as I get a chance. The place I recommend is called La Bombonera. It is on Calle San Francisco. It’s a 10-minute walk from the pier. The best way to describe the place is "a hole in the wall". It definitely old but it is very well known for their food. Their pastries are excellent as well as their meals. I suggest you try my favorite pan de mallorca con mantequilla. :cool:

We docked in OSJ directly across from the Sheraton Hotel.

Archived