Help Our First Cruise . . . Carnival Fantasy

type one mom

Looking for advice for first time cruise in a few weeks. We are going on the Carnival Fantasy and will drive to Charleston probably the morning of departure. I feel like I've thought of everything to pack. Any tips or suggestions for this particular ship or port stops (Bahamas) this time of year? I don't even know which questions to ask!:)

Looking for advice for first time cruise in a few weeks. We are going on the Carnival Fantasy and will drive to Charleston probably the morning of departure. I feel like I've thought of everything to pack. Any tips or suggestions for this particular ship or port stops (Bahamas) this time of year? I don't even know which questions to ask!:)

Just have fun! Enjoy your first cruise. Did you pack the suntan lotion, the tylenol, aloe vera gel, hairdryer ( Fantasy has no hairdryers) the dramamine or bonine incase of seasickness? Except for the hairdryer, These things are available onboard but at hefty prices! Allow extra time to get to Charleston. Traffic downtown can be a pain in the early AM.

I just wrote a review of the Fantasy finished it today. We got off of her on Friday there is also a link of pic's in my sig.

If you ask your cabin stward for a hairdryer they will bring you one.

The Fantasy was my first - in 1997, so I haven't been on her lately. I am starting to research a bit as I'm hoping to take my daughter on the Fantasy for her first cruise for a high school graduation/18th birthday trip.

What caught my eye was your screen name. Do you have a child with Type 1 Diabetes? My soon to be high school graduate has had T1D since she was 12.

Dear Stephanie . . .

YES . . . my 9th grade daughter was diagnosed at age 12 AND my middle school son (age 12 now) was diagnosed this past summer! So, YES, we have TWO type one diabetic kids. It's been quite a journey! I am so nervous about leaving them for this cruise with just me & my husband. I realize that to enjoy myself, I simply must know their blood glucose levels before bed each night (son tend to run really low), so I am very interested in the internet prices (thinking email will be cheaper than cell phone). We've left them with relatives before . . . for a very short time when we were very accessible. I know you'll understand the natural worry I feel here . . . some will probably think I'm overprotective. Diabetes can be so unpredictable, and we find ourselves "adjusting" our son's basal rates and dosage recommendations all the time!!! It worries me to be sure a relative will understand his diabetes, particularly, is not "cut and dry." It's great to meet you!

Donna:D

First cruise? Don't overthink it. Just roll with the flow. You may get onboard and find something really fun to do and wind up having more fun that if you planned everything to the gnat's behind! :D

Just relax and the fun stuff will make itself known! ;)

As far as I am concerned I feel you can't be to over protective of a loved one with diabetes, the thing is to keep it from showing the kids, it's harder on you but you want them to have as much of a normal life as possible..Mu husband is borderline and the other part is our older dog is diabetic and he does get insulin shots twice a day..Now I know some people would say WHAT give a dog insulin but he is part of the family also, and you take care of your family..I know the apprehension you are feeling..You might look to see if the Fantasy has a pkg deal for the internet..Sounds like you need a good rest, hope you can enjoy your cruise..;)

1. You can take your cell phone. The rates are high but if it helps you at least you know you can give them a quick ring to make sure his levels are ok. I'm sure you've given the relatives great instructions on how to care for both of them. It will also help that his older sibling knows what to do and can help both him and your family with his insulin calculations. :) Also when you are in port there are usually internet cafes close to the port. They are much cheaper.

2. Don't overpack. It's so easy to do!

3. The most important thing to do is read those Carnival newsletters every night. This will be your "Bible" for the trip. Also pay attention to the announcements!

4. Take your own shampoo and conditioner! Trust me!

Dear Stephanie . . .

YES . . . my 9th grade daughter was diagnosed at age 12 AND my middle school son (age 12 now) was diagnosed this past summer! So, YES, we have TWO type one diabetic kids. It's been quite a journey! I am so nervous about leaving them for this cruise with just me & my husband. I realize that to enjoy myself, I simply must know their blood glucose levels before bed each night (son tend to run really low), so I am very interested in the internet prices (thinking email will be cheaper than cell phone). We've left them with relatives before . . . for a very short time when we were very accessible. I know you'll understand the natural worry I feel here . . . some will probably think I'm overprotective. Diabetes can be so unpredictable, and we find ourselves "adjusting" our son's basal rates and dosage recommendations all the time!!! It worries me to be sure a relative will understand his diabetes, particularly, is not "cut and dry." It's great to meet you!

Donna:D

Donna - I so get what you are saying. You are not being overprotective. This disease is crazy. We've got the nighttime lows going on too...and unaware. Working on a CGMS to help before she heads to college (now that is scary). Drop me an email (bsdmhutch at gmail).

And to keep this cruise related... you will have a blast and it will be so refreshing for you. Even checking in with the kids to check on glucose levels...you need this time. DH and I did a 4 and 5 day back-to-back a few years ago and it was amazing. My parents kept the kids and we all survived. :)

Text messaging can be a relatively inexpensive way to keep in touch with folks at home.

I have unlimited texts on my phone anyway.

It costs me 50 cents to send a text from outside the usa, even on the ship, and I receive them at no charge.

I have a regular cell phone and keep it turned off except when checking or sending messages.

I usually check for messages about four times a day.

It might be handy, in addition to e-mail, for keeping up with kids.

If you are planning to use your cell phone, call your provider before your trip and check things out.

Oh, and if you are a lady and there is any chance that you might need certain products besure to stash some in your suitcase. I'm sure you can get some in port, but on the ship there is probably one kind.

And probably not the kind you want.

I posted a more detailed reply, but I love your JDRF image/quote at the bottom of your post! Did you get it from the JDRF website?

It's a combination. I think I got the shoes from google images and the words I added under just as a testament to those who see it. It's the favorite quote for us T1D moms. Are you on Facebook? We have a great community of support going there...as well as childrenwithdiabetes.com and their mailing lists.;)

Thanks so much! The tip to not "overplan" every detail is soooo applicable to me . . . I needed that reminder.

I know we really need this time "off" with the peace of mind that our kids are fine. College is still a few years off, but the thought of it with type diabetes and late nights studying have already caused me some worry. You're so right, though . . . my daughter is pretty "on top of" the diabetes and will take care of her brother.

I will definitely check on the cost of texting internationally.

I'm thinking I don't have room to carry along my own beach towels and extra gear if I want to pick up any souvenirs.

Do the 12 pack sodas HAVE TO be inside some type of bag or luggage? I've seen differing posts about some of carry on items/luggage. We're not flying since we live fairly close to Charleston (may make it too tempting for me to pack too much).

I greatly appreciate everyone's help . . . and support that this will, indeed, be a great relaxing trip!

:D

Archived