Miami - Joe's Stone Crab

pookie9922

I've heard some good reviews on Joe's Stone Crab but was wondering if anyone else has eaten there. Does anyone know how bad the wait is on a Friday night? We'll be there in 3 weeks. Our flight gets into Ft. Lauderdale at 4:30 and we're renting a car - which will put us into Miami at between 5:30 and 6:00 (I think). Do we stand a chance of eating at Joe's in a reasonable amount of time, or should we just make reservations somewhere else?

Also, does anyone have an idea on the prices? Their menu just says Market Price for the crab but I've heard between $20pp and $50pp. That's not very precise, unfortunately.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

I've never eaten there...but only because all of the negative things that my friends and family have told me. Long, long wait (2-3 hours) for overpriced mediocre food... is what I was told.

To each his own. Perhaps others can weigh in as well.

Wow, those are some pretty bad reviews. Is it just popular because it's famous? I thought I'd go there because it's in our cruise book and "1000 Places to see before you die." I may be rethinking that.

Did anyone have a good experience there?? :(

I've been to the one in Chicago a few times & it can get VERY expensive. It's pricing is similar to a steak house. Most items are ala carte, & the side dishes usually feed at least two (or 3 women). We were there a few weeks ago, a 4 oz lobster tail was 12 bucks, but that's all you get. Stone claws also were individually priced, I can't recall how much, but boy it adds up. I think we spent about $135. for a modest "Women's" lunch. (no drinks, two appetizers, 3 entrees, one desert & three coffees). I call it the typical expense account place.

Please ... I'm not knocking the place, there was great service, but on the higher price end.

http://www.joesstonecrab.com/Download/restaurant_menu.pdf

Pookie...

btw... I see you're from LA... I bet you have some great places for seafood there... I would pass on Joe's & go for something more local.

(Since we're talking... I'll be in Huntington Beach in two weeks; any suggestions for crab? The BEST crab I had was at port of calls in San Pedro).

Thanks!!!

Is it just popular because it's famous?

You got it! IMO it's overcrowded, and overpriced. I think they're just living off of past reputation at this point. There are many MANY seafood restaurants in South Florida, many of which have better stone crabs at lower prices.

Okay, so now I'm bummed. I was very excited about this famous crab place but I guess it's pretty obvious that I need to find something else. Does anyone have any other favorites in Miami? We're staying at the Marriott Biscayne, so something near there would be nice too (but I hear that's not the greatest area, so really anywhere would be fine)

Sodell - For crab, Ports o' Call is probably the best you can do. It's also lobster season here too, so you should be able to find some places would good lobsterfest deals. I don't venture to San Pedro very often so I'm sorry I can't be of more help there.

Another great place to try is Kincaid's (www.kincaids.com) in Redondo Beach. This is our favorite restaurant. A little pricey ($20-$30 a plate) but really really good. I've never had crab there but have always really enjoyed my meal. DH has their peppercorn steak everytime and it's delicious. People may suggest to go to the Chart House but its nothing compared to Kincaids.

Let me know what you're looking for (expensive vs cheap but good) and I might be able to be of more help if you're going to be in the Redono Beach, Torrance, Hermosa, and Manhattan Beach areas.

And I'm completely unfamiliar with Huntington Beach, so I can't help you there either.

Okay, so now I'm bummed. I was very excited about this famous crab place but I guess it's pretty obvious that I need to find something else. Does anyone have any other favorites in Miami? We're staying at the Marriott Biscayne, so something near there would be nice too (but I hear that's not the greatest area, so really anywhere would be fine)

Sodell - For crab, Ports o' Call is probably the best you can do. It's also lobster season here too, so you should be able to find some places would good lobsterfest deals. I don't venture to San Pedro very often so I'm sorry I can't be of more help there.

Another great place to try is Kincaid's (www.kincaids.com) in Redondo Beach. This is our favorite restaurant. A little pricey ($20-$30 a plate) but really really good. I've never had crab there but have always really enjoyed my meal. DH has their peppercorn steak everytime and it's delicious. People may suggest to go to the Chart House but its nothing compared to Kincaids.

Let me know what you're looking for (expensive vs cheap but good) and I might be able to be of more help if you're going to be in the Redono Beach, Torrance, Hermosa, and Manhattan Beach areas.

And I'm completely unfamiliar with Huntington Beach, so I can't help you there either.

Thanks Pookie...I've been to Kincaid's in Oakland & it was very good.

I'm looking for more casual (less $$) so I think we may go back to Port of Call in San Pedro for lunch & look for a lobster fest for dinner, but further south near HB.

woo hoo...

Btw... we were on the Sun pacific coastal last week of sept 2004. We really enjoyed it, watch for those poles in the stardust theatre :( Even tho it's not a dead on view, we liked the side balcony seats.

Sorry folks for being off-topic :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well we did decide to go to Joe's Stone Crab but went for lunch the day after our cruise rather than waiting forever on a Friday night. The restaurant was very nice and the food was excellent. That was the best crab I've ever had. We did end up spending a fortune but it was worth it. Also, I definitely recommend the hash browns, the calamari and the key lime pie.

Nexxt Cafe in Lincoln Rd. mall...But there are a ton of eateries in this street that has been blocked off. Walking distance from most hotels. Portions are HUGE, though, something that seemed to be common in South Beach. We also ate at a nice little place on Ocean Drive across from the beach/park, I wish I could remember the name. It was recommended by a store owner and was really good. Great mojitos. We never had bad food in 3 days at South Beach.

Archived