Which Port is best for what Im looking to do?

cruizinrican

I am also posting this in the ports board.

I am leaving next Sunday on the Pearl. We are visiting Key West, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. I was wondering which port would be the the best to go snorkeling aboard a catamaran and which place offers the best swim w/dolphins? :confused:

We have never done either in the western ports so need your great advice. So far we have nothing booked which is so opposite of how we usually cruise.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

I am also posting this in the ports board.

I am leaving next Sunday on the Pearl. We are visiting Key West, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. I was wondering which port would be the the best to go snorkeling aboard a catamaran and which place offers the best swim w/dolphins? :confused:

We have never done either in the western ports so need your great advice. So far we have nothing booked which is so opposite of how we usually cruise.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Roatan for the snorkeling off the catamaran, but try for a private vendor not the ship's cattleboat excursion. Second choice is Belize, off the reefs. I'm hearing that the facilities for swim with the dolphins in Costa Maya aren't that good. Cozumel or Grand Cayman are better ports for this but not on your itinerary.

Key West is mainly a wak around/shopping port. Be sure to stop by El Sibouney's for good Cuban food or BO's Fish Wagon on Caroline and then Kermits for Key lime Pie.

I would consider doing the dolphin swim while on Roatan, and the snorkel trip in Belize.

My reasons:

*The snorkeling is essentially the same in Belize & Roatan. It's the same reef & they are only around 60 miles apart. And you have the added bonus of going over to Caye Caulker for lunch & seeing a laid-back, Carribean island with the lazy pace that they all had before the cruiseships changed things.

*The dolphin swim & facilities on Roatan are far superior to those at Costa Maya.

So I'd go with the dolphins in Roatan (I think you might HAVE to book this through the cruiseline). In Belize, I'd probably look to book a snorkel trip with Coral Breeze or one of the other non-ship vendors.

Where would we go to swim with dolphins in Roatan? We will be with our 4 children....We would rather book separate from ship to save some money....Anyone know where to go?

The only dolphin swim I'm aware of on Roatan is at/through Anthony's Key Resort (www.anthonyskey.com). I'm not sure if you can book directly with them or if you have to go through the cruiseship (I think at times in the past they had an "exclusive" setup that didn't accept cruise passengers unless they were done through the ship, but I THINK that is no longer the case). Their contact info - both email and phone # - are on the linked website.

The only dolphin swim I'm aware of on Roatan is at/through Anthony's Key Resort (www.anthonyskey.com). I'm not sure if you can book directly with them or if you have to go through the cruiseship (I think at times in the past they had an "exclusive" setup that didn't accept cruise passengers unless they were done through the ship, but I THINK that is no longer the case). Their contact info - both email and phone # - are on the linked website.

Thanks for the info!...I went to the website and it looks like I might have to book thru the ship....Im going to try and get around this....The price difference is substantial!

Archived