how dangerous is ocho Rios Jamaica?

Cahlawv

thanks for your advice. We are planning on going to Dunns but are not going to be able to climb I don't think, I have a weak leg so not sure at this point. We are trying to decide Carnival excursion or something else. We would like to go to Dunns, Marguritville and shopping. Would you advise a tour company or taxi. If that which company and do you have any idea prices or taxi's there? Would really appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

Going to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman on the Carnival Destiny on March 26. What is a good safe shore excursion?

i've even walked out the front gate to town without incident.

probably helps that i'm over 6 feet and over 250 lbs though!

We are going to be on the exact same cruise on the 26th! Can't wait. We were advised by our travel agent to only do Carnival sponsored excursions while at Ocho Rios, so we are going to Mystic Mountain. It looks like great fun! In Grand Cayman, you could be on your own and do whatever you like and be fine. I wanted to spend the day at Seven Mile Beach in GC and my husband and 13 year old son did not, so we comprimised on a 4 x 4 jeep excursion that ends up at the beach. Hope you have fun whatever you choose. 3 more days!!:D

thanks for your advice. We are planning on going to Dunns but are not going to be able to climb I don't think, I have a weak leg so not sure at this point. We are trying to decide Carnival excursion or something else. We would like to go to Dunns, Marguritville and shopping. Would you advise a tour company or taxi. If that which company and do you have any idea prices or taxi's there? Would really appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

I asked my aunt who is a manager at Jamaica Grand (the BIG yellow and pink hotel you will see from the ship LOL) what she would recommend. She said she always advises people to use Peat Taylor. She says he makes everyone comfortable and gives you a good price. The company has touring packages etc. I googled Peat Taylor and the website is ochoriosjamaicatours dot com (I didn't want CC to erase the link:cool:). I hope you have a great time! Try Devon Stout flavored ice cream from Devon House in Island Village if you like things that taste like Baileys Irish Cream, Jamaicans use Guiness Stout and make it into a punch (sort of like a Jamaican version of egg nog), Devon House makes it into ice cream- DELISH!!!:D

You can walk on the outside of the Falls. Anyway, when you consider a Carnival excursion versus a private tour operator, wouldn't you rather be with your own group, do what you want to do and when you want to do it, at a cheaper price? There are many reputable tour companies that are well recommended by CC including Mark Morris (mark@markstours.com) who I used. The four of us went to DRF, lunch, tour the island, beach, and shopping for $40 PP. He will customize your tour to your liking.

Should be $45 PP. $30 plus $15 DRF's fee

I asked my aunt who is a manager at Jamaica Grand (the BIG yellow and pink hotel you will see from the ship LOL) what she would recommend. She said she always advises people to use Peat Taylor. She says he makes everyone comfortable and gives you a good price. The company has touring packages etc. I googled Peat Taylor and the website is ochoriosjamaicatours dot com (I didn't want CC to erase the link:cool:). I hope you have a great time! Try Devon Stout flavored ice cream from Devon House in Island Village if you like things that taste like Baileys Irish Cream, Jamaicans use Guiness Stout and make it into a punch (sort of like a Jamaican version of egg nog), Devon House makes it into ice cream- DELISH!!!:D

We loved our day last week with Peat as well. We did DRF, the cool blue hole and tubing. It is a beautiful island and Peat will show you a great time.

It is too bad that Jamaica has seen so many problems. We went to Montego Bay on a cruise in 2005, and loved it so much we went back to an all-inclusive resort in Negril the next year. It was the most amazing vacation we have ever been on. The 2 hour bus ride to Negril was awesome, we saw the local culture and even had to stop the van for a herd of goats. We love Jamaica and will certainly go back, however have not been to Ocho Rios and not sure if I would do anything there without an organized tour.

I do think if your ship stops there you should experience Jamaica at least once so you can decide for yourself if it is a great place or not. I hope that if Ocho Rios is that dangerous that something would be done to make it safer, the local economy has to be hugely affected if no one got off the ship.

You can tell by my screenname I love Jamaica. Its the reason we booked our Cruise. I couldn't wait to go back. My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Jamaica. We stayed in resorts in both Ochos Rios and Negril. The people were wonderful and yes like every other port, venders want to sell you things(they are all pushy) No thank you has always worked for us. I found the vendors in the Dominican to be the most aggressive Ive encountered. I found their poverty more shocking then what i saw in Jamaica too.

I wouldn't go wandering off by myself in any port I was unfamiliar with. Stick with the excusions that have good reviews on the boards and you wont go wrong. We did Dunns River Falls in Ochos RIos and loved it! This time since we are bringing our five year old with us, we are keeping it easy and going to one of the all-inclusive resorts for the day. If our son was older, we would pick the white river tubing or Mystic Mountain.

Hey have you ever seen that show "I survived" on TV. I watch it all the time and there are several stories that involve encounters in Mexico but I've never seen one involving Jamaica! :p

Hey Mon its Irie:)

It's rather unfortunate that a random experience 18 years ago can color your opinon forever of a port destination . I am glad you werent hurt but hope that you begin to see that there is good and bad in your own hometown, at each port, with each cruiseline - heck with life in general.

Like others have said, you will be fine with a ship tour or a well-known tour operator. Of all islands, this is the one I would not do by myself. It just felt like the locals were way more aggressive here than anywhere else I have been. And, drugs are everywhere. Everywhere.

Just be smart and you'll be fine!

Archived