Already prepaid tips, any more?

We opted to prepay tips. Will there be any others that we need to tip?

Not on the ship, unless you want to add an additional gratuity. Some people tip good bar waiters a little more (or tip a sum at the beginning of the cruise hoping for stronger drinks, free drinks, etc.) or the servers in the specialty restaurants.

You might also consider bringing a little extra for those whom the auto-tips cover. We have often had excellent waiters/assistant waiters/cabin stewards and give them a little extra at the end, along with a note to say how much we appreciated their hard work. When you see how little each person gets per day compared to how much they do for you, it seems only natural to add a little more.

We also make sure to note their names on our comment card, as this is how they are premoted.

Have a great trip!

So there's no one who isn't included in the auto-tip pool?

I'm totally budgeting in more than the auto-tip, but I wanted to make sure that if I forgot someone they at least get SOMEthing. (Of course, I'm making notes about all this stuff 8 months in advance, so I'm not likely to forget anyone...) :D

Outside of Auto Tip the main considerations would be:

*Room Service (on average people seem to give $2 to $5 depending on size of order).

*Shore Excursion Guides/Drivers

*Optional Extra Tips to anybody who goes above and beyond expectations (i.e. waiters, bartenders, room steward etc.).

As for porters, if sailing from a U.S. port they are union longshoremen earning upper middle class salaries; no need to tip them (and there are signs up at all U.S. ports indicating that tipping is optional or not permitted).

Ooops! Forgot room service. :o People usually give at least $1 for coffee and anywhere from $2-5 for meals.

I shouldn't have forgotten that one, except that we have only had room service once on RCI (we tend to book PR cabins and don't feel we have to space to eat in the cabin). However, we got in every day on our last cruise, a Concierge Class balcony on Celebrity (and yes, we tipped).

We also tip porters and guides but since they aren't part of the ship's tips, I didn't include them in my first response.

Archived