Some will complain no matter what

humboldt74

Just returned from a Mexican Baja cruise on the Diamond. Overall the entire trip was great. The ship is beautiful, the crew is great, the food was good, everything except the coffee was what one would expect. With 2800 guests you can still find a lot of places on the ship to relax and be as alone as you want. What kills me is that there are people that complain about everything. sitting in the theater waiting for one of the shows to start, a gentleman behind me went on and on about everthing. Nothing about the ship, crew, or the cruise was good enough. It was only the first night and he had nothing good to say about anything. Why someone spends that much money and can't even attempt to enjoy themselves is beyond me. Please never let me become that bitter and angry about my life.

Diamond Princess - Alaska 04/04

Diamond Princess - Mexican Riviera 02/05

Grand Princess Canada/New England 10/05

The worst part is the very small percentage of complainers all seem to right a review when the get home.

With 2800 guests and thats say 1% of them are complainers that means every cruise you got 28 people that think it it aweful. They post there negative coments and then people researching a cruise go "oh my maybe this ship isn't a good one" when in fact 99% of the people on it had a good time!

Scott

humboldt74,

I was on the same cruise. I couldn't believe the grumbling I heard while standing in line to get into the lunch buffet, and they ran out of plates. They just went on and on and on. The bin only holds so many plates.

On most of my cruises there have always been a grumpy gus who just b**chs about everything and I mean everything.:mad: Once they start that I excuse myself and leave. I have come to the conclusion that you will always find a royal pain in the you know who everywhere you go. Isn't that sad.:(

Marilyn

Thanks, Marilyn... I was afraid I was going to get flamed!! :)

On a funny note... one of my clients was talking to me one of her past cruises... one of the women traveling with her was a huge complainer... While they were playing BINGO, this women kept making rude comments... The guy next to her asked her "Where are you from?"... When she answered, he told her "Then go back there!"

There is a certain personality type who receives gratification from complaining - it seems that is how they hold an audience and get attention.

I don't think they are really as miserable inside as they appear - they just like to hear themselves talk.

Be glad you are not married to one of them (I was :) ).

Moods are infectious - when you are surrounded by happy people - you feel happy. However, a grump can really bring you down. I try to get away from complainers - I refuse to let people bring me down.

On our last Celebrity cruise, we had a "groaning" cabin. The ceiling creaked. And we could hear the main ventilation shaft above our veranda. Even with the door shut, the air flow sound was loud enough to notice. I was afraid I would not be able to sleep for the 11 nights we were on the ship. But, I consciously made a real effort to ignore what could not be changed. And I soon realized that it really was "mind over matter."

We had a great cruise - better than most - but, we could've let the "non-perfection" we found - color our entire cruise. WE CHOSE NOT TO.

Goodness, there is nothing like a grump. Grumps come in all ages and from all parts of the world. :( Once they start on something, I just excuse myself and leave.:) Sooner or later they will be by themselves with no one to talk to and then complain that people were not friendly :D

It is just a bad habit that some get in to during their life, then they see the glass of life as half empty, where most of us see it half full :cool: All that negative energy going to waste :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm crazy, but whenever we run into a complainer onboard ship (and there's usually one at our dinner table), we listen to all he or she has to say with a straight face, but inside, we're laughing so hard, it almost hurts! Every time something goes "wrong" for us, we consider it an adventure and a story for later. If everything went perfectly, why, we'd have nothing fun to laugh about when we got home! Life is about turning lemons into lemonade!

A couple of cruises ago we had the misfortune to have seated at our lunch table of 10 the most negative, grumpy man I had ever met. Everything about the ship, food, ports, etc was just awful according to him. Before we had even had our orders taken, he had managed to turn lunch into a disaster for total strangers. I thought about getting up and moving to another table but decided instead to turn up the heat. I started being "Miss Pollyanna" - going on and on about how GREAT, and WONDERFUL, and MARVELOUS etc etc EVERYTHING was. When he said something negative, I countered with an over the top positive. The more grumpy he got, the happier and downright giddy I got. I was annoying myself with my act (although I would have gotten an Oscar for my performance) and my husband could hardly contain his laughter at my antics. By the time the main course arrived, Mr. Grumpy was so annoyed that I wasn't letting him enjoy his pity party, he and his wife got up and left the table. He just couldn't stand being around someone who was so THRILLED with cruise! The other 6 tablemates started clapping for me and we all had a round of drinks to celebrate Mr. Grumpy's departure. I've never used that routine again but it sure felt good to give him a taste of his own medicine-in reverse.

During sailaway (sailaway, mind you... shouldn't this be the BEST TIME??) on our first cruise on the Caribbean Princess last summer, we were sitting in the aft hot tub.... we had just met 2 other nice couples there and were chatting with them. Suddenly, a lady and her husband came in to join us... the minute she stuck her foot in the water, she started bi**hing, and the two of them went on for about 10 minutes. The other 6 of us (all first time cruisers) just looked at each other and said "let's go get another drink." We ended up hanging out with the first 2 couples pretty much the rest of the trip, and we made a game out of avoiding the whiners... everytime we saw them around the ship (or even in port), we would say something like "Whiners, starboard, 3 o'clock - change location immediately!" It ended up being pretty funny... :)

We cruised the Pride of Aloha last summer. This may be the most maligned ship of 2004. Just check the NCL board. Yes, the service was probably more on par with a good hotel, vs. what people expect from a cruise. But, hey, we were in a different Hawaiian port every day, food was great at times and I had numerous conversations with a very friendly crew of mostly Hawaiians (as in, lots of good tourist advice). What's bad about that???

Each ship should have an area with low ceilings, no windows and cubicles. Anyone who grumbles, has to spend a day there. :D Remember the soup n?zi from Seinfeld? Well, to the grumblers, "No cruise for you!!!"

I remember some time ago someone wrote that their whole cruise was terrible because the husband couldn't get fishy swabs (potato/leek soup? I won't even attempt to spell it properly). Found it remarkable that merely not being able to order 1 specific food would ruin a cruise.

We were on the Diamond in February and there was a woman that had more negative aura than anyone has a right to have. We encountered her in the sauna then she shows up at Stone Island ( complaining about the treatment of the happy horses) and the people we were dining with had encountered her on a PV aerial excursion (of course she was injured) then on the tender back in Cabo we overhear others talking about her. 1 Person on a ship with 3000 and she managed to impact or at least standout to more people than anyone I have ever seen.

Randy

On a few of our cruises, DH and I had the "pleasure" of dining with people who did nothing but complain about everything. It was a real downer for those of us at the table who were enjoying ourselves. It's especially embarrassing when they complain about the waitstaff and/or food during the meal. The constant complainers make others uncomfortable, and it's difficult to know how to respond to these individuals.

I recall one such instance when tablemates ordered the same entrees as DH and I. While we were enjoying our respective dinners, this couple demanded to see the Maitre d' because they were so dissatisified with their food. These people complained nightly about everything that was wrong with the ship, staff, shore excursions, etc. DH and I came to dread going to dinner each evening because there seemed to be nothing that anyone could say or do to please these people. If "Anytime Dining" had been an option on that cruise, we would have taken it in a heartbeat.

Chris

WeBeGone - I'm going to remember that routine and practice it on my next cruise. You crack me up!

Don'tcha have to wonder what some folks' everyday life is like that they can go on a cruise and find so much to whine about?

Archived