Upsell call - So angry!

pwc115

When we moved a few years ago, ATT missed the appointment to set up our phone line. When I called, the customer service rep was very apologetic and scheduled someone to be out at the house within the hour. It was no big deal; I wasn't upset or anything. Then he said, "hey, while I have your account up, I see you qualify for our new service..." and I interrupted, saying that seeing that I was calling to complain about a small lack of service, it may not be the best time to be hitting me up to buy more. He laughed and agreed, it was friendly. I think overall, they're just doing their job. Although the OP certainly has reason to be nonplussed at such an incredibly inappropriate comment made by the salesperson.

Surprising that Carnival upsell person would do that. They seem to have no authority to negotiate pricing.

Just call and call until they sell the cabin and if a problem will make note of people offering counteroffers and go back.

Have had two upsell calls and both were very low key. Took one and declined one.

Some people are not cut out to be salespersons......;)

I had a guy try to sell me a newspaper subscription.....I told him I took two newspapers already, and didn't have time to read a third.........and he told me.."I didn't ask you to read it, I just asked you to subscribe to it".....:D

That's funny!!

DH and I are sailing on the Triumph, May 7th. We got a call from Carnival yesterday. They were offering us a "bargain" to upgrade from our aft balcony cabin to an Ocean Suite for $770. When I told them, no thanks, he told me if I did it right then and there, he would "knock it down to $670". I told him that wasn't something that I thought we wanted to do because 1. we really wanted the aft balcony this time and 2. the price was ridiculous. I told him to call back if the price went down and we'd see. That's when he got even more pushy and said he would call back in 5 minutes to give me time to call a friend or family member to borrow the money! Seriously? Obviously, we did not upgrade and I guess I really have no question for the board here, but for some reason, this has really bothered me. Has anyone else ever experienced this with Carnival?

eww some people are just so sleezy lol you should have asked him if you could borrow the money from him lol

Now, I know why I originally posted....Some of your comments are really giving me a good laugh. Thanks, everybody! DH and I are looking forward to our cruise and having an aft balcony for the first time.

PS> Salesperson just called back and left me voicemail....said to give him a call back so we could further our discussion about an upgrade. His name is "Kevin" so beware if you hear from him.

HAPPY CRUISING!

Surprising that Carnival upsell person would do that. They seem to have no authority to negotiate pricing.

Just call and call until they sell the cabin and if a problem will make note of people offering counteroffers and go back.

Maybe the first price was inflated so he could offer a "deal"?

We had a pvp who we really liked and after five years she was mysteriously just gone...

And after talking to a couple we found another who we liked and after two cruises he was mysteriously gone too.

On both of them I called and their extensions just don't work anymore...

I miss them and worry about what may have happended to them.

Both of them had gone above and beyond for us.

I have asked my current new pvp about what may have happened.

She said something about when people are gone they are usually gone that day to protect customer information.

And that pvps who have difficulty with goals may be moved.

I'm thinking maybe moved out the door.

DH did get a sales call out of the blue from wonderful pvp #1, before she disappeared, and he said that she sounded upset.

To me, it sounds like there is a lot of pressure on them.

Definitely a high pressure job. They are required to sell a certain number of cabins per month and if they miss that quota several times they will be quickly fired.

Seems like once you establish yourself with a bunch of repeat customers not a bad job but until you do so can be very stressful.

Sounds like someone in the upsell department needs a little retraining. That was over the top.

I've gotten the call twice. Took the deal once and passed once. Both times the person on the other end was courteous.

Got the upsell "e-mail" this week for our May cruise offering to upgrade our 7A (obstructed view verandah) for $40 total. I called and the very nice person in the upsell dept. offered to put us in an 8K. That was a sweet deal, so I took it.

Most likely all the balconies in your category are full.

The salespeople are "urged" to try and upgrade for $$ before the line has to start upgrading for free.

If no sales, they have to start the free upgrades so the waitlisted customers can get on the sailing.

mimi

Now, I know why I originally posted....Some of your comments are really giving me a good laugh. Thanks, everybody! DH and I are looking forward to our cruise and having an aft balcony for the first time.

PS> Salesperson just called back and left me voicemail....said to give him a call back so we could further our discussion about an upgrade. His name is "Kevin" so beware if you hear from him.

HAPPY CRUISING!

Hi!

I passed your experience on to John Heald who replied to me that this is far too aggressive on the sales agents part and he is passing this on to be looked into.

Have a great trip. I've always wanted to have an aft balcony and I hope you'll post pics and let us know how it is!

;)

We got the same call two days before our cruise on the Triumph, but it was an upgrade from lido deck balcony to suite on deck 8 for $500.00. Told them thanks but no thanks.... What happened to the free upgrades when they wanted to put someone else in your cabin? I figure since we had a cabin that would sleep 4 someone wanted to book a cabin that slept 4 and they were all booked.

We have had several upsell calls the best wild one was for the owners suit. $1800 I just told him to repeat that again. I don't want to buy the ship. I didn't care how big the room was its not worth $1800 over what I paid for a balcony. And that was it. I could care less what they say to me. You may get answers or questions you don't like but no big deal. Move on.

We got the same call two days before our cruise on the Triumph, but it was an upgrade from lido deck balcony to suite on deck 8 for $500.00. Told them thanks but no thanks.... What happened to the free upgrades when they wanted to put someone else in your cabin? I figure since we had a cabin that would sleep 4 someone wanted to book a cabin that slept 4 and they were all booked.

Why give it away when they can get someone to pay? If that was why they called you first there are other 4 person cabins and one of them may pay. Maybe if you said "how about $300" they might have done it.

Archived